Author Topic: Warm up the "have a game in Ahearn every year" crowd.  (Read 5811 times)

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Warm up the "have a game in Ahearn every year" crowd.
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/083012aab.html

Fire and ADA codes, capacity, etc., etc., etc.

(You can afford to do this when you only get 5,000 showing up to games. So, oscar's 3rd year or so should be about right.)

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Warm up the "have a game in Ahearn every year" crowd.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »
The difference is, it's a much smaller building than Ahearn and is pretty much already set up to easily host a basketball game.   

It got a pretty expansive makeover about 7 years ago. 

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »
Both of the Sooners' fans should look pretty intimidating in that place...

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »
yeah i know its tuck of me but i think it would be cool to play some rando crap non-con team over xmas break in Ahearn would be cool. It won't happen and i'm not butt-hurt about it.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 01:19:06 AM »
yeah i know its tuck of me but i think it would be cool to play some rando crap non-con team over xmas break in Ahearn would be cool. It won't happen and i'm not butt-hurt about it.

:thumbs:

i mean like it's okay to go to vista burger every once in a while like for a cyclone or something

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »
This is timely.  I had the most awesome dream the other night.  There were new TV contracts recently announced.....and Currie announced that we were going to use the windfall to renovate Ahearn so we could play there TWO seasons.  Then, we were going to completely refurbish Bramlage.......stripping the entire exterior structure.  This would leave the "hole" and basic interior to allow for a new outer structure that would basically be a replica of Ahearn (and would tie in beautifully with the style of the new pressbox).  The large windows would be back in the "new" Ahearn which Currie explained why the designed the BB practice facility that way they did.  Guess I'm getting old, but was darn near a better dream than ______.

catzacker

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
i hate our fan base.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:19:38 AM »
This is timely.  I had the most awesome dream the other night.  There were new TV contracts recently announced.....and Currie announced that we were going to use the windfall to renovate Ahearn so we could play there TWO seasons.  Then, we were going to completely refurbish Bramlage.......stripping the entire exterior structure.  This would leave the "hole" and basic interior to allow for a new outer structure that would basically be a replica of Ahearn (and would tie in beautifully with the style of the new pressbox).  The large windows would be back in the "new" Ahearn which Currie explained why the designed the BB practice facility that way they did.  Guess I'm getting old, but was darn near a better dream than ______.

What a great dream.  someday bramlage won't suck.  someday....

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »

Even when they dream, they're still tucks.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
That's a really specific dream. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
Totally redoing Bramlage's outter shell isn't that much of a stretch at all, unlike most building the seating bowl could be untouched, you just have to tear down the shell and rebuild around it.     

It's just a matter of money and will.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »

What a great dream.  someday bramlage won't suck.  someday....

do you really think bramlage sucks?  i don't.  ultimately it's the students and the crowd that makes a great basketball arena and ours has been pretty damn well recognized the past few years.  do i think ours looks like a strip mall from the 80's?  yeah but i think, to dax's point, that's just cosmetic and has already been altered to some extent with the BTF going in along with the stage 543 of the westside football expansion.

what do you consider a great college basketball arena?  let's work backwards from there.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
That is actually a pretty great dream.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Warm up the "have a game in Ahearn every year" crowd.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 12:18:43 AM »
Generate an  replica exterior with the north end overlooking the football stadium.  Place a larger l.e.d. on top of the renovated Vanier and include two smaller boards in the se and sw corners.

Also the football indoor should be moved across Kimball from Vanier and be connected by an underground walkway.  This would allow for indoor track to be moved to the current football indoor and Ahearn to be turned into a museum/venue/recruitment center for the university. 

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 12:41:20 AM »

IMO, if its the game atmosphere that a recruit is judging KSU off of, the crowd is making up for the arena. Bramlage is great - but we can have the practice facility AND the great arena, right? That's like the next step? Or are we staying with Bram forever?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:44:45 AM by Paul Moscow »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 02:15:48 AM »
Generate an  replica exterior with the north end overlooking the football stadium.  Place a larger l.e.d. on top of the renovated Vanier and include two smaller boards in the se and sw corners.

Also the football indoor should be moved across Kimball from Vanier and be connected by an underground walkway.  This would allow for indoor track to be moved to the current football indoor and Ahearn to be turned into a museum/venue/recruitment center for the university.
boom done. 

I could see the double screens in the endzone like Michigan State has.  Maybe not a ribbon like they have, but do-able.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 02:18:29 AM »
guys, I am writing this a lil PAK'd but when i read this:

I emailed my sources in the Ahearn Fund, Athletic Department (ticketing/marketing), and Alumni Association. Most of you know of these sources if you keep up in the Football ticket thread over in the football board but the Ahearn Fund, and Alumni Association people emailed back and both told me there is not an ounce of truth in it.

the Ahearn fund source said they have discussed money to spruce up Ahearn to host a once a year game called the: Throwback Classic in which they would schedule a team like: Colorado, Mizzou, or Nebraska for a non con game or have that host one of the non-KU former Big 8 schools once a year. they have said for it to one day be fiscally worth doing it would have to be 75 bucks a ticket and a 1000 seat student section and the students would have to pay 50 dollars. This would have to go 6 years before it would make a profit for the Athletic Department This has never had even close to the amount of support it needed. Frank was not in favor of doing it (for the longest time it was just a regular non con not the big 8 connection), and oscar isn't sure about it, and John Currie doesn't think it would be fiscally worth it.

So in short, it has been discussed, but IT AIN'T HAPPENING HOES

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 02:28:41 AM »

I emailed my sources in the Ahearn Fund, Athletic Department (ticketing/marketing), and Alumni Association. Most of you know of these sources if you keep up in the Football ticket thread over in the football board but the Ahearn Fund, and Alumni Association people emailed back and both told me there is not an ounce of truth in it.

the Ahearn fund source said they have discussed money to spruce up Ahearn to host a once a year game called the: Throwback Classic in which they would schedule a team like: Colorado, Mizzou, or Nebraska for a non con game or have that host one of the non-KU former Big 8 schools once a year. they have said for it to one day be fiscally worth doing it would have to be 75 bucks a ticket and a 1000 seat student section and the students would have to pay 50 dollars. This would have to go 6 years before it would make a profit for the Athletic Department This has never had even close to the amount of support it needed. Frank was not in favor of doing it (for the longest time it was just a regular non con not the big 8 connection), and oscar isn't sure about it, and John Currie doesn't think it would be fiscally worth it.

its a shame some random guy's dreams aren't used for long term planning in our AD.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 02:32:02 AM »

its a shame some random guy's dreams aren't used for long term planning in our AD.

LULZ looks like i should of read the post first...i jumped the gun and emailed with out reading close enought...sorry man

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »

how did you do that?  i assume you're dabbling in the black arts

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 04:36:10 PM »
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »

how did you do that?  i assume you're dabbling in the black arts

I know Wabash and yes, a warlock.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »
That's actually kind of dope.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »
 :thumbsup: