Author Topic: This week in the mercury  (Read 11247 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This week in the mercury
« on: August 12, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »
Since there seems to be a clamoring for news from Manhattan among the K-State diaspora, I offer a weekly summary of the news that caught my eye each Sunday.

This week I will limit the scope of my focus to today's paper, but in the future, if I remember and my wife doesn't mistake the pile of old news for a recycling pile I will bring you the full week's update.

Today's Merc:

Back to Campus Insert Sports F3---

"Badminton is big among KSU's Asians"

Up to 90 percent of the K-State Badminton club members are students from Asia.  Jing Han, doctoral student at [sic] human nutrition department and club president, though the reason Americans are reluctant to play might be in underestimating the intense energy required to play badminton.

"Chinese education is very stressful and we don't have free time, especially in high school."

"College is paradise for us.  We can wear whatever we want."

Campus Insert People C1
"Get to know oscar Weber"

"If things go right, we should be be one of the top 25 teams in the country, now you got to go prove it."

Q: "have you and your team set a goal for the upcoming season"

...."I think when they come back [from Brazil]; I'll have a little better feel of what the goal should be as a team.  But right nos it's taking what they did, taking it a step further than what they did a year ago."

Q: "In the limited time you've been with the team, do you see a ceiling on what they can do?  Is it sky's the limit?"

"I don't know about sky's the limit, but I think we have a chance to be very good.   To have a successful team in college, to me, you got to have experience, and we do have experience."

Q: "In your limited relaxation time that you find, what do you like to do?"

"One, I want to be around my family, as a coach you don't get that opportunity much, you're gone s much, your days are long and that free ime is very valuable, you hope that you can really have quality time when you get those free days.  But (my family) love the beach; I like the water, I like the beach and the walk, to just swim and to, just relax.  That's my favorite thing whether its Florida or the beach in South Carolina, just get bikes and ride.  Just kind of relax and enjoy each other.  Ironically, people think I'm nuts, one of my favorite, relaxing things is to cut the grass."

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: This week in the mercury
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
Wow.

T-Y.

Post the Rusty Wilson article.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: This week in the mercury
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Wow.

T-Y.

Post the Rusty Wilson article.

As soon as the merc reports an update I'll put it in the following Sunday.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
"To have a successful team in college, to me, you got to have experience, and we do have experience."

Calipari says no.
:adios:

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »
 :love:

Hope this feature thrives!
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:01:46 PM »

oh it will. i'm thinking about subscribing again just so i can double team this thing with kk.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »

oh it will. i'm thinking about subscribing again just so i can double team this thing with kk.

Oh man, oh man, oh man!   :excited:
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
Ahem.  I'm not so much mad as I am disappointed.   :frown:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »
Post the article KK
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
Post the article KK

Been a tough go.  Left town and the wife ditched all the old papers before I could get my fingers dirty with the sweet smell of townie ink.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 09:38:28 AM »
Editorials/Letters to the Editor
Paraphrase cause I tossed the paper:

The Manhattan Mercury Editorial page has announced that they will charge $.15/word for all letters to the editor that contain endorsements for candidates or take a position on a ballot issue.  For those of you that are unaware, this election season had more letters of endorsement than in years past, to the point that it left some valuable space that otherwise would have been filled by editorials on issues of the day from other newspapers around the state, U.S. and the world.  The Mercury will continue to write headlines for all letters to the editor.

My comment:

My proposal would be to print the best and the worst letter for each candidate/position each week and then offer a regular rotating editorial column (in the manner of the WaPo or NYT) to the "regulars" that write in.  The $.15/word is asinine and if you are going to make editorial judgement about what constitutes a political statement, then go ahead and exercise some freaking editorial control for the benefit of your reader.

As you might imagine, this issue has resulted in a few letters to the editor:

To the Editor:
  In your publication of Wednesday, Aug. 29 you used a third of a page telling us readers that you will start charging fifteen cents per word for certain letters. 
  The way I interpret your intent is that any letter endorsing, or bashing, a candidate or cause will be charged if said letter does not align with your ideology.  At your judgment some letters will be called "political advertisements" and thus charged fifteen cents per word payable in advance.
  On the opposite page you printed a column by David Brooks, for which you had to pay, belittling Mitt Romney, his parents, his upbringing, his wife and family, his education, and his personal and business accomplishments.
  DUH?
  I sent no payment in advance so that you may bill me at my correctly spelled address.
                                                                         John Thomason
                                                                                  Wamego

Paraphrase cause the wife threw the paper out:

We are getting a new airport expansion.  It looks like waves/rolling hills which should "blend in" to the surrounding landscape (these people are purposefully being idiots for the benefit of their own egos or the stupidity of others, take your pic).  Jim Sherow liked it and was quoted as saying so.  There was a local "vote" of the 3 designs at the "community forum."  Approximately three handfuls of people showed.  The one that got the most "votes" was the rolling hills design they had already decided upon.  One guy who attended wrote in a letter to the editor expressing his disapproval with the process.  None of this will happen until 2025.

Sports:

The Gugg (rhymes with Dude) had a nice little write-up about Alaina Schroeder and the Female Fightin' Indians Cross Country team that took 2nd at Warner Park.  The boys took first.

The Gugg also informed the public of MHS and Halloway beating Mill Valley 43-21.

Kelly McHugh (story) and Rod "The Rod" Mikinski got the coveted back page sports spread.  Rod nailed a nice silhouette shot of Rock Creek-Wamego playing football with a blazing sun behind them.  Rock Creek rallied with a late TD and two-point conversion to win 28-27. 

Loser face Joshua Kinder wrote about the Cats destroying Mo State.  His "lede?"

It only took 38 minutes for Kansas State to find the end zone against Missouri State.

Why is this acceptable?  Maybe because he's his own sports editor.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
KINDER IS A JOKE!!!!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
That's pretty darn good lead, if you ask me.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
Is the editorial charge just for the national election?  If townies aren't allowed to bitch about local politics (without paying) then I just don't know WTF the point of editorials is.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »
Is the editorial charge just for the national election?  If townies aren't allowed to bitch about local politics (without paying) then I just don't know WTF the point of editorials is.

oh it is for local elections.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
They are ruining one of the best parts of a small town paper.  If not for HS sports coverage, might as well get the commie-rag NY Times

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 11:53:26 AM »
Kat Kid, don't post uninteresting things from The Mercury to bide your time. You know what article we want you to post.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »
publicar el artículo kk

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
Great stuff KK!  Don't let the haterz get you down!   :thumbs:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
Tonight's stories are timely and thus could not possibly be saved for Sunday's weekly recap.

A1 Front page, full color picture below the fold.

The dog was taken, then clipped and painted

Corene Brisendine
[email protected]

When Michele Ince went on vacation last week, she gave no thought to the idea that one of her pets would be stolen.
But that's what happened halfway through her visit to Iowa.  Her dog sitter, Laura Lott, called and asked her to cut her vacation short because one of her dogs had been taken from their backyard kennel area.
  The dog, a 6-pound Maltese/Shih Tzu mix named Baxter, was eventually recovered after being discovered on a city street and taken to the T. Russell Reitz Animal Shelter.  But whoever took Baxter also vandalized it, cutting much of the dog's distinctive hair and covering the dog in paint or fingernail polish.

There's much more.  This simple open and shut turns in to a genuine whodunnit with the revelation that the very person that dropped off Baxter also left a suspicious, typed note.

"They [whoever left Baxter] left us a typed note that said, 'Found on Kimball Avenue.  8:47 p.m.," Smith said.

But hold on!

Angela Smith, a technician at the shelter, said someone dropped off Baxter in the after-hours kennel about 8:47 p.m.

A clue indeed. Amateur goEMAW detectives, you have a case.  Because guess who won't defend the honor of the upstanding Maltese/Shih Tzus of this fine community?

Ince said the police told her they could not do anything about what happened to her dog

Well, thanks a lot RCPD.  I for one am strongly considering writing in a 100 word + rebuke to this dereliction of duty by our public safety officers.  But I may have to console myself with the audience of my peers on this fine webpage, because that may or may not conflict with the new $.15/word decree seeing as how the police get paid through tax revenue and all.

Sports B1 Front Page, left column

Cats prep for Miami's Johnson

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »
 :thumbs:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 10:10:41 AM »
great stuff kk

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
Hey KK, can you post the story titled: 

Neither narrowed highways nor on-site construction can slow the fans

Burk Krohe

[email protected]

Kthxbai.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »
I guess there was no mercury this Sunday. I would not believe kk is slacking....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 05:31:22 PM »
Worst Sunday Mercury in some time for this column.  Just nothing of note.