Author Topic: Official Brazil Hoops Thread  (Read 27481 times)

Offline catsdo

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Official Brazil Hoops Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
That doesn't make frank any less of a rough ridin' loser.

just when i think you can't say anything stupider, you say something stupider.

Just so you know, "stupider" is not a word.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
Game writeup from yesterday.

http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081312aaa.html

Weber is such a hot head.  An embarrassment to the University.   Someone needs to make him calm down.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
This is the start of a legendary career. I mean, who the eff gets ejected at an exhibition game?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2012, 08:50:56 AM »
Game writeup from yesterday.

http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081312aaa.html

Was just looking around on the site and in the history section they still have FM listed as our coach.

K-State's All-Time Coaches

Most Wins

Coach (Years) Record

1. Jack Hartman (1970-86) 295-169

2. Fred "Tex" Winter (1954-68) 262-117

3. Jack Gardner (1939-42, 46-53) 147-81

4. Frank Martin (2007-current) 95-43

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »
This is the start of a legendary career. I mean, who the eff gets ejected at an exhibition game?

Frank Haith

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2012, 08:53:01 AM »

Frank Haith
I like it, it makes for good BBS'ing material.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2012, 09:32:06 AM »
I love the dumbasses who are like: "He's too nice, all he wants to do is eat chicken nuggets, #burnitdown,  :blah:". And now they're like "What dumbass gets kicked out of a exhibition game?" JFC
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:41:49 AM by fanningksu »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2012, 09:39:32 AM »
Honestly, him getting kicked out of an exhibition game is BY FAR my favorite thing he has ever done in his coaching career.  First time I have thought that he may give a crap

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »
Honestly, him getting kicked out of an exhibition game is BY FAR my favorite thing he has ever done in his coaching career.  First time I have thought that he may give a crap

Serious moment...

I think there is a part of him that really does want to do well here.  I think he realizes that Illinois wasn't a good fit for him due to his, um, social disposition, and the last nine years were probably pretty miserable for him. 

I think Weber loves coaching basketball, I don't think he's nearly as bad at it as a lot of people here think he is, and I think he'll do better than expected because he won't have the kind of media/booster/fan pressure he had at Illinois.

Granted, I don't think he'll set the world on fire, but I think he'll probably put something pretty similar to what Frank put on the floor.

End serious moment...

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
Just so you know, "stupider" is not a word.

i just used it, dumbass.  if it wasn't a word before, it is now.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »

Serious moment...

I think there is a part of him that really does want to do well here.  I think he realizes that Illinois wasn't a good fit for him due to his, um, social disposition, and the last nine years were probably pretty miserable for him. 

I think Weber loves coaching basketball, I don't think he's nearly as bad at it as a lot of people here think he is, and I think he'll do better than expected because he won't have the kind of media/booster/fan pressure he had at Illinois.

Granted, I don't think he'll set the world on fire, but I think he'll probably put something pretty similar to what Frank put on the floor.

End serious moment...

I hope you are right, panjandrum. Seriously.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »

Serious moment...

End serious moment...

I don't think he doesn't try.  I just think that the difference between winning and losing isn't significant enough to him.

Also catsdo, stupider is a word.  Do you think Eisenhower was mistakenly corrected like this when he was fighting Nazis?  Jesus.....

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »

Serious moment...

End serious moment...

I hope you are right, panjandrum. Seriously.

Yeah :pray:
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »

End serious moment...

so you think he'll go to an elite 8 every five years and finish with the second highest winning percentage of any kansas state basketball coach ever? interesting.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Official Brazil Hoops Thread
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
hate to bust your bubble but frank wasn't going to be going to elite 8s every 5 years either. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »

Serious moment...

End serious moment...

I hope he starts really strong because it sure looks like he eventually gave up at IL and with the amount of $$ he got to leave and is making now I can see him quitting on KSU and Manhattan pretty quick.  I don't want to see him and his dopey looking family do some weird "I just got crap canned" presser in 2 years.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »

Serious moment...

End serious moment...

I hope he starts really strong because it sure looks like he eventually gave up at IL and with the amount of $$ he got to leave and is making now I can see him quitting on KSU and Manhattan pretty quick.  I don't want to see him and his dopey looking family do some weird "I just got crap canned" presser in 2 years.

I think he gave up at Illinois because no one really does that well there, and they expect to be like UNC, Kansas, etc.  Honestly, I've never really met fans from a school that had expectations that were so disproportionate with actual success (Sorry, Mr. Bread).  I have worked with a number of UI fans, and they're pretty insufferable.

I believe he is actually pretty competitive, and he's pretty competent.  I don't think he'll be a great recruiter because he's "ethical", but I don't think he'll recruit that much worse than Frank did, and if he does, he may actually get more out of that talent because the chances of them sticking around longer than two years is probably higher overall.

I think he's essentially going to try and replicate more of what he did at SIU here (with a relative upgrade in talent) in terms of what players he goes after and how he wants to play.  There simply won't be the pressure to conform to what the boosters want because our boosters are just happy with beating KU every couple of years and going to the tournament.  He can just be himself.  I'm not expecting the peaks that he had at Illinois here, but I'm not quite expecting the valleys, either.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »

End serious moment...

so you think he'll go to an elite 8 every five years and finish with the second highest winning percentage of any kansas state basketball coach ever? interesting.

To parrot clams, I don't think Frank was going to go to the Elite 8 every five years, either.  That was a lightning in a bottle team for him.

Do I think he'll have the second highest winning percentage?  Probably not.  Do I think he'll be in the Top 5, yes.  Do I think he'll be Wooly bad?  Absolutely not.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
Jesus. Don't tell me we are going full-on powerespect.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »

End serious moment...

To parrot clams, I don't think Frank was going to go to the Elite 8 every five years, either.  That was a lightning in a bottle team for him.

Do I think he'll have the second highest winning percentage?  Probably not.  Do I think he'll be in the Top 5, yes.  Do I think he'll be Wooly bad?  Absolutely not.

I say again: Neckbruce.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »
Jesus. Don't tell me we are going full-on powerespect.

No, we're not.  I still don't like Bill all that much.  :ksu:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »

Serious moment...

End serious moment...

I think he gave up at Illinois because no one really does that well there, and they expect to be like UNC, Kansas, etc.  Honestly, I've never really met fans from a school that had expectations that were so disproportionate with actual success (Sorry, Mr. Bread).  I have worked with a number of UI fans, and they're pretty insufferable.

I believe he is actually pretty competitive, and he's pretty competent.  I don't think he'll be a great recruiter because he's "ethical", but I don't think he'll recruit that much worse than Frank did, and if he does, he may actually get more out of that talent because the chances of them sticking around longer than two years is probably higher overall.

I think he's essentially going to try and replicate more of what he did at SIU here (with a relative upgrade in talent) in terms of what players he goes after and how he wants to play.  There simply won't be the pressure to conform to what the boosters want because our boosters are just happy with beating KU every couple of years and going to the tournament.  He can just be himself.  I'm not expecting the peaks that he had at Illinois here, but I'm not quite expecting the valleys, either.

a couple of quick clarifying points and then i'm done, because this has been talked to death so much that even i'm sick of it...

oscar did not give up at illinois. he got fired because his basketball team was a combined six games under .500 in conference during his last six years as a coach there and missed the tournament three out of the last five years. that kind of record/performance over that long of a period in time, would get you fired from any school that cares about basketball. he's also the first basketball coach to ever be fired from illinois for performance reasons. ever. they've been playing basketball for 100 years at the university of illinois and he is the first. you're whole "the fans have unrealistic expectations" doesn't even come close to adding up. he's the only coach ever in the 100 year history of the school to be fired from coaching basketball and he was fired because he missed the tournament three out of the last five years and had a six game under .500 conference record over the last six years that he was allowed to coach there. no more. no less.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:04:29 PM by rick daris »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »
a couple of quick clarifying points and then i'm done, because this has been talked to death so much that even i'm sick of it...

oscar did not give up at illinois. he got fired because his basketball team was a combined six games under .500 in conference during his last six years as a coach there and missed the tournament three out of the last five years. that kind of record/performance over that long of a period in time, would get you fired from any school that cares about basketball. he's also the first basketball coach to ever be fired from illinois for performance reasons. ever. they've been playing basketball for 100 years at the university of illinois and he is the first. you're whole "the fans have unrealistic expectations" doesn't even come close to adding up. he's the only coach ever in the 100 year history of the school to be fired from coaching basketball and he was fired because he missed the tournament three out of the last five years and had a six game under .500 conference record over the last six years that he was allowed to coach there. no more. no less.

are you so mad that you essentially repeated your talking points twice in one paragraph, or was that meant as a joke.  either way, it's funny, just wondering what's going on behind the scenes.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »

are you so mad that you essentially repeated your talking points twice in one paragraph, or was that meant as a joke.  either way, it's funny, just wondering what's going on behind the scenes.

repeated twice on purpose. i also use a lot of periods when i shouldn't. also the whole capitalization thing.