Author Topic: Aurora Shooting  (Read 52359 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Aurora Shooting
« Reply #575 on: April 02, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »
NK, there is some combo that someone somewhere is in prison for that if committed against you and yours, you would want that person killed.

Promise.

This is like the gay marriage thing.  I don't think ppl personalize it enough to understand it. 

It isn't a question of person A killing person B.  It's an issue of your neighbor killing your daughter and what he deserves for such an act.

eff off, you don't know how he would react in that situation. I wouldn't want more people murdered just because they murdered someone I cared about. What the eff does that accomplish?

It's human nature.

it's also human nature to eff everything that walks. Do you eff everything that walks?

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora Shooting
« Reply #576 on: April 02, 2013, 02:39:49 PM »
NK, there is some combo that someone somewhere is in prison for that if committed against you and yours, you would want that person killed.

Promise.

This is like the gay marriage thing.  I don't think ppl personalize it enough to understand it. 

It isn't a question of person A killing person B.  It's an issue of your neighbor killing your daughter and what he deserves for such an act.

What that person deserves is not the same thing as what I want the government to do. I don't support the death sentence because it's really nothing more than murdering a defenseless human.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 02, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
This thread is a skidmark on the beautiful pair of whitie-tighties that is ComboFanning Season.

MODS!  :shakesfist:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 02, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »

Promise.

eff off, you don't know how he would react in that situation. I wouldn't want more people murdered just because they murdered someone I cared about. What the eff does that accomplish?

It's human nature.

it's also human nature to eff everything that walks. Do you eff everything that walks?

No offense, but that is dumb.  I didn't say it was human nature to kill, I said it was human nature to want it for someone taking away something that is ultimately cherished. 

To relate it to your example, it would be like asking "Do you want to eff everything that walks?"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:51:52 PM by CNS Casey »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 02, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »

Promise.

It's human nature.

This seems like bait to me.  :clac:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »

Promise.

What that person deserves is not the same thing as what I want the government to do. I don't support the death sentence because it's really nothing more than murdering a defenseless human.

I get the defenseless thing.  I think some proponents of it see it as revenge.   Also, some may say that the person had adequate defense in court.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »

Promise.

I get the defenseless thing.  I think some proponents of it see it as revenge.   Also, some may say that the person had adequate defense in court.

Yeah, I get why some people support it, but I just can't support forcibly killing an unarmed person who has already surrendered and has spent the last 10 years or so living in a jail cell. It's not like life in prison with no parole would be some walk in the park for a killer, either. I mean, what would you ever have to look forward to?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »
No offense, but that is dumb.  I didn't say it was human nature to kill, I said it was human nature to want it for someone taking away something that is ultimately cherished. 

To relate it to your example, it would be like asking "Do you want to eff everything that walks?"

It may be human nature to "want it" but that doesn't mean he (or I) couldn't choose to rise above "human nature" and not support murdering another person. Just like you rise above "human nature" and don't act on your urges to eff everything that walks.

which I guess means I don't get the point of this post:

Promise.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 02, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »
Part of the punishment should be it's deterrent value. 

Anyway, plenty of attorneys and career police don't believe in the DP just because it takes too long and is too expensive, more expensive than life incarceration.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 02, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »

It may be human nature to "want it" but that doesn't mean he (or I) couldn't choose to rise above "human nature" and not support murdering another person. Just like you rise above "human nature" and don't act on your urges to eff everything that walks.

which I guess means I don't get the point of this post:

Promise.

Opportunity allows capital punishment in many states now.  Opportunity doesn't allow the average male to have his way with everything that walks.  Also, I would argue that it isn't human nature to eff everything that walks and that there is much more to it than what your simplistic example provides and therefore is a shitty comparison that can't be used adequately they way you are trying.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 02, 2013, 03:01:19 PM »
If one of Sandusky's victims was a family member of mine I'd want him tortured and raped daily in prison

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 02, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »

Promise.

Yeah, I get why some people support it, but I just can't support forcibly killing an unarmed person who has already surrendered and has spent the last 10 years or so living in a jail cell. It's not like life in prison with no parole would be some walk in the park for a killer, either. I mean, what would you ever have to look forward to?

So would it be ok to kill an armed person? Like instead of lethal injection they could use a Thuderdome format or something?

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 02, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »
Basically people who commit terrible crimes deserve terrible and painful punishments imo

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 02, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »

Promise.

So would it be ok to kill an armed person? Like instead of lethal injection they could use a Thuderdome format or something?

Say the prisoner fashioned some form of a weapon (like a shiv) and started attacking people with it. I would be okay with one of the guards shooting him in that situation to spare other lives.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 02, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »

Anyway, plenty of attorneys and career police don't believe in the DP just because it takes too long and is too expensive, more expensive than life incarceration.

Does death really provide a greater deterrent than life without parole, though? You die in prison either way.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 02, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »
Opportunity allows capital punishment in many states now.  Opportunity doesn't allow the average male to have his way with everything that walks.  Also, I would argue that it isn't human nature to eff everything that walks and that there is much more to it than what your simplistic example provides and therefore is a shitty comparison that can't be used adequately they way you are trying.

Wanting to have sex with people is more a part human nature than wanting to kill someone via an opportunity created by a government entity. I mainly take issue with you telling people how they would/should react in a situation as if they can't help it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 02, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »

Does death really provide a greater deterrent than life without parole, though? You die in prison either way.

It has shown to not be much of a deterrent.  That said, after the fact, I think those in prison for life would chose to continue that way rather than getting the needle.  Most, anyway.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 02, 2013, 03:16:31 PM »

Wanting to have sex with people is more a part human nature than wanting to kill someone via an opportunity created by a government entity. I mainly take issue with you telling people how they would/should react in a situation as if they can't help it.

I am just addressing raw emotion.  Most ppl don't have control during raw emotion and such a loss, as the one I described, creates the type of emotion that many have a very hard time processing.  The heart wants what the heart wants. 

Also, I don't think the urge for sex is stronger than the urge for revenge for such an extreme act, however I am not a Psychiatrist. 

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 02, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
I don't think that there aren't things a person can do that are terrible enough to warrant their own demise.  I just think that no man-made system could ever be doubtless enough to handle the task.   And if even one person is unjustly executed, that makes us all murders and hypocrites.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 02, 2013, 03:21:59 PM »

I think the fact that people often plea down to life as evidence that it is a deterrent.  Probably marginal, though. 

Why do people do awful things and then kill themselves?  I think because doing prison or DP is worse than dying right there.

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 02, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »

I think the fact that people often plea down to life as evidence that it is a deterrent.  Probably marginal, though. 

Why do people do awful things and then kill themselves?  I think because doing prison or DP is worse than dying right there.

Because they don't want to be beaten and raped in prison

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 02, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »

Because they don't want to be beaten and raped in prison

I bet Belcher could have handled himself just fine.  :dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 02, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »

In that case, the person went ahead and committed the crime knowing that the death penalty was a possibility. They were just fortunate enough to be offered a plea deal. I see it as kind of a wash, myself. I'm sure life in prison is much more appealing than the death penalty once you get acclimated to that lifestyle, but it just seems unimaginably awful to me.

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 02, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
I've seen enough Lockup on MSNBC to know I'd rather die than spend my life in prison

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Aurora Shooting
« Reply #599 on: April 02, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »

I am just addressing raw emotion.  Most ppl don't have control during raw emotion and such a loss, as the one I described, creates the type of emotion that many have a very hard time processing.  The heart wants what the heart wants. 

Also, I don't think the urge for sex is stronger than the urge for revenge for such an extreme act, however I am not a Psychiatrist.

you may have a point if it was in the heat of the moment (like you were there when it happened), but I don't think it applies to a long investigation and trial. They are so new to humans that instinct gets thrown out the window. (Read the article KK shared in the God thread)