Author Topic: Construction Update Master Thread  (Read 97273 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: ksunews construction update master thread
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Really good photographer.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »
Does sys have a ruling on your dog?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 02:42:54 PM »

yeah, what kind of camera are you using jvon?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 02:43:31 PM »

Not trying to say that it looks like crap in person, just that j-von is obviously a talented individual.  Good work j-von.  :thumbs:

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »

Thanks, I'm using a beginner DSLR Nikon D3100 with their crappy kit 18-55 lens.  I'm no great photographer, I've just done a lot of work in Lightroom and Photoshop so I'm able to clean them up in post to make them look like what a good photographer would be able to do without software.  I do shoot on full manual though so you have to understand how everything works together.

For these shots I had to leave the shutter open a long time to get that amount of light into the lens (5-6 seconds on some).  More expensive lenses can get to lower apertures which don't need as much time which is why some people refer to nicer lenses as "faster glass".  I do have a nice 50mm 1.8 lens but it really doesn't work well for these wide open shots.  I actually wanted to leave the shutter open longer in this case to catch the motion of the globe and fountain so it worked out pretty well. 

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »
hey jvon, why don't you go catch up on the meadowlark hills contruction project while you're at it

Old people scare me

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »

Thanks, I'm using a beginner DSLR Nikon D3100 with their crappy kit 18-55 lens.  I'm no great photographer, I've just done a lot of work in Lightroom and Photoshop so I'm able to clean them up in post to make them look like what a good photographer would be able to do without software.  I do shoot on full manual though so you have to understand how everything works together.

For these shots I had to leave the shutter open a long time to get that amount of light into the lens (5-6 seconds on some).  More expensive lenses can get to lower apertures which don't need as much time which is why some people refer to nicer lenses as "faster glass".  I do have a nice 50mm 1.8 lens but it really doesn't work well for these wide open shots.  I actually wanted to leave the shutter open longer in this case to catch the motion of the globe and fountain so it worked out pretty well. 

it moved.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
just crank the 50mm 1.8 up to 2.8 and you should get the low light sharpness you're looking for

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
just crank the 50mm 1.8 up to 2.8 and you should get the low light sharpness you're looking for

Since the d3100 isn't full frame, the 50mm acts more like a 75mm which is tough when trying to document a large area.  I got the 50mm because it supposedly has the best bokeh and that's what I was looking for, but I really wish I would have gotten the 35mm.  I think that will be my next purchase and then hopefully a nice 70-200 2.8.  I'll keep the 50mm for artsy closeups.  Here's a few testing out the sharpness and bokeh of 1.8 on the 50mm unedited.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »

Since the d3100 isn't full frame, the 50mm acts more like a 75mm which is tough when trying to document a large area.  I got the 50mm because it supposedly has the best bokeh and that's what I was looking for, but I really wish I would have gotten the 35mm.  I think that will be my next purchase and then hopefully a nice 70-200 2.8.  I'll keep the 50mm for artsy closeups.  Here's a few testing out the sharpness and bokeh of 1.8 on the 50mm unedited.
you definitely want to go full frame.  i shoot with a 24-70 2.8 L series lens and love it.  it's really fast.  you might also consider the 24mm 1.4  :drool:

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »
holy crap

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »
Some nighttime pictures of the Jardine apartments.  It was a nice place to bring some food and hang out even though non-residents aren't supposed to use the overlook/pond/etc.

http://www.ksunews.com/jardine-apartment-complex-part-1/

Great work. These are worthy of posting in a thread where others mock our campus (to defend us, of course)
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
i lived in jardine as a kid (r-30 represent!), and it was a craphole, but fun as hell for an early grade schooler.

can't believe it's changed so much.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »
Some nighttime pictures of the Jardine apartments.  It was a nice place to bring some food and hang out even though non-residents aren't supposed to use the overlook/pond/etc.

Great work. These are worthy of posting in a thread where others mock our campus (to defend us, of course)

This reminds me, I know the images on the site are too big to post and talk about on the forum so I'm wondering if I should post smaller versions in the thread when I have updates?

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »

you definitely want to go full frame.  i shoot with a 24-70 2.8 L series lens and love it.  it's really fast.  you might also consider the 24mm 1.4  :drool:

Your lens would be pretty awesome for what I'm doing, especially in full frame.  Do you do it as a hobby or is it part of your job?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »
just a hobby, i've been into it my whole life

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
ksunews construction update master thread
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »
What's really crazy is lots of the back area buildings were renovated from the existing shitholes and aren't all new construction

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
steel goes up very quickly.

the only thing that could make it *kinda* slow would be if they poured each deck before setting the next level.  you can set all the steel though and come back to pour the decks, just makes it more labor intensive for the concrete guys.

Thanks, I was hoping we could get people that know what they're talking about to help out since I'm no construction expert.  Is it pretty common to have a huge steel framework up during a season when doing one of these?

I mentioned in the post about the BTF that I was surprised how far behind they still are and how unfinished the inside is.  I'd be interested to hear from someone with building experience if it's as far off as it looks.

It takes a while to do the site work. Drilling piers, setting foundations and such. The steel will go up in no time at all. It's not un common for steel to be up during the season. It hurts in blocking some revenue making stuff like concessions, but it's a cool thing to see and generates a "buzz" so it's kind of offset.

PS. Awesome site for us out of towners.

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
I lived there the first two years it was renovated, great place to live. A lot of the football players lived there as well, including Freemaw. If I were to go back and get a graduate degree, I would totally buy one of the condos there.
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2012, 10:38:29 PM »
now go to la hacienda and places like that and make them look even more awesome than they really are

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »
now go to la hacienda and places like that and make them look even more awesome than they really are

yeah. and then turn gold into something even goldier. i mean gmafb.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »
just a hobby, i've been into it my whole life

Good to know, I'll hit you up when I'm ready to upgrade my stuff.

It takes a while to do the site work. Drilling piers, setting foundations and such. The steel will go up in no time at all. It's not un common for steel to be up during the season. It hurts in blocking some revenue making stuff like concessions, but it's a cool thing to see and generates a "buzz" so it's kind of offset. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to be up there tomorrow night and I'll try to find an open gate so I can get more detailed photos of the south side construction.  I was the one who cut the wires to the webcam so they wouldn't see me sneaking in.

I would totally buy one of the condos.

Can anyone buy a condo there?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 11:54:08 AM »

This reminds me, I know the images on the site are too big to post and talk about on the forum so I'm wondering if I should post smaller versions in the thread when I have updates?

Other than stealing this one, how does a guy get one of these purple globe thingies for his yard?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Absolutely amazing what that place is now compared to what it was. 

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »

yeah. and then turn gold into something even goldier. i mean gmafb.
maybe I'm just tired of seeing yours and 8mans grainy ass cell phone pics of the place!