Author Topic: LOL . . ."why am I getting this email" . . . "please don't reply all"  (Read 12126 times)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
before a secretary resigned, she sent out an email to everybody detailing how awful/racist her boss was, plus all the gossip she heard from everyone in the 2+ years she was there. The gossip ranged from "so and so is having an affair with a parent" to "this guy once killed a person."

The admin was told to delete the email from everyone's inbox if possible. it wasn't.
lies.

apparently it was possible normally, but we didn't have something turned on or installed. i dunno,  wasn't my thing.
Would have been a pain in the ass, which is why I would say "not possible" if asked of me.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
that's the goEMAW IT pro everyone.  responsible for keeping this ship afloat.   :emawkid:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
before a secretary resigned, she sent out an email to everybody detailing how awful/racist her boss was, plus all the gossip she heard from everyone in the 2+ years she was there. The gossip ranged from "so and so is having an affair with a parent" to "this guy once killed a person."

The admin was told to delete the email from everyone's inbox if possible. it wasn't.
lies.

apparently it was possible normally, but we didn't have something turned on or installed. i dunno,  wasn't my thing.
Would have been a pain in the ass, which is why I would say "not possible" if asked of me.

yeah. wouldn't have mattered anyway. people had already forwarded to other accounts/moved to their archive anyway. 
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
I like when someone is having a snippy/gossipy type conversation about their coworkers that actually evolves into a legitimate question about something at work and then they forward that question to the group or their boss or something and forget to remove all the catty things further down the chain.

You have to feel bad for the person who participated in the snippy conversation but wasn't the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) who forwarded the conversation to the boss in that scenario.

Not really. It's pretty dumb to use work email for that kind of thing. That's what Skype or whatever is for. Even then, it's not smart. Work email should pretty much only be used for things you officially want on the record.

We also had a secretary do the "I quit" email thing. She addressed the head of our HR in the subject line (i.e. "Bill, review this and let me now if you think it's professional") then emailed everyone detailing this huge fight between her and two of her superiors. Even funnier than the details in the actual email was that a random dude also named Bill didn't realize it was sent to everyone and thought she was specifically asking him, so he "replied all" again with an email starting off super timid and explaining that he wasn't really sure why she was asking him but then evolving into how here's what he thought about the "possibly sexist and definitely stupid" reaction of her boss (who was also his boss). Pretty great day at the office all in all.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
that's the goEMAW IT pro everyone.  responsible for keeping this ship afloat.   :emawkid:

Quote from: frantic employees
The Chinese have taken over our servers! Everything is down! The building's on fire!

Quote from: Saulbadguy
Just had an El Mole Ocho by @NewHollandBrew  :users: (<--but with beer)
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
All our office gossip is done through GChat with super secret code words. For instance...

"I think fatass midget Ray Liotta just sharted"

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
building on felix's thought

The Chinese have taken over our servers! Everything is down! The building's on fire!

Best El Mole Ocho by NewHollandBrew ever

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline jc_jax

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
I keep all the accidental reply all emails and subsequent requests to be removed from the distribution reply alls in a special email folder.  I go back every now and then and re-read to laugh at them and see who answers every time.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I like when someone is having a snippy/gossipy type conversation about their coworkers that actually evolves into a legitimate question about something at work and then they forward that question to the group or their boss or something and forget to remove all the catty things further down the chain.

You have to feel bad for the person who participated in the snippy conversation but wasn't the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) who forwarded the conversation to the boss in that scenario.

Not really. It's pretty dumb to use work email for that kind of thing. That's what Skype or whatever is for. Even then, it's not smart. Work email should pretty much only be used for things you officially want on the record.

We also had a secretary do the "I quit" email thing. She addressed the head of our HR in the subject line (i.e. "Bill, review this and let me now if you think it's professional") then emailed everyone detailing this huge fight between her and two of her superiors. Even funnier than the details in the actual email was that a random dude also named Bill didn't realize it was sent to everyone and thought she was specifically asking him, so he "replied all" again with an email starting off super timid and explaining that he wasn't really sure why she was asking him but then evolving into how here's what he thought about the "possibly sexist and definitely stupid" reaction of her boss (who was also his boss). Pretty great day at the office all in all.

Yeah, I don't ever send personal emails to coworkers for that reason, but it takes a special kind of stupid to go ahead and forward an entire personal conversation to another email for another person.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
building on felix's thought

Best El Mole Ocho by NewHollandBrew ever

I'll have to show you wednesday night's facebook chat when Saul was trying to remotely fix my cd drive while still a little pak'd.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
I imagine this behavior is rampant amongst the goEMAW staff.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Oh man. We just closed the refi on the house. The notary they sent out had to use our laptop to access some of the docs that would be e-signed/duped.

Umm. She didn't log out after she left. And holy rough ridin' crap. If there a super-dramatic version of telenovelas that featured really ugly trailer folk with white trash problems, I'd be sitting on a million-dollar script.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Oh man. We just closed the refi on the house. The notary they sent out had to use our laptop to access some of the docs that would be e-signed/duped.

Umm. She didn't log out after she left. And holy rough ridin' crap. If there a super-dramatic version of telenovelas that featured really ugly trailer folk with white trash problems, I'd be sitting on a million-dollar script.

Post everything.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile

Post everything.

Couldn't do it. Everyone involved seemed crazy. I walked away.

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
This sounds like John Deere, servers went to a standstill one day because someone sent the whole company an email and the whole company kept replying all.  :nono:
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: LOL . . ."why am I getting this email" . . . "please don't reply all"
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »
37 replies and counting  :excited:

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »
37 replies and counting  :excited:
How many were "just use reply and not reply-all" or "i dont think you meant for this to go to everyone"

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 12:56:19 PM »
We had one where someone was announcing a new hire.  And the new hire replied all thinking he was replying to just his boss and was telling him "hey you forgot to mention my experience in so and so and why I'd be good at this and that."

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »
We get one of those at least once a month.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2013, 01:35:40 PM »
Perfect timing.

A congratulatory promotion email sent out to a large group, no less than 30 people did a "reply all" saying "congrats".   

So, 1 congratulatory email sent to approx. 250 people generated 7,500 (or so) more emails.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
I'm really surprised this doesn't happen where I work. More disappointed than surprised. 
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 01:57:10 PM »
We get emails about some growth in a part of our company or new acquisition.  Then the executives send out the occasional follow up about how this is a good thing and how excited we should all be.  The last step is our lowest tiered manager, completely unrelated to any of it, always does a "reply all" about how excited she is.  She just wants to get an email exchange with the execs and its so rough ridin' annoying.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »
We get emails about some growth in a part of our company or new acquisition.  Then the executives send out the occasional follow up about how this is a good thing and how excited we should all be.  The last step is our lowest tiered manager, completely unrelated to any of it, always does a "reply all" about how excited she is.  She just wants to get an email exchange with the execs and its so rough ridin' annoying.

You should reply all "LOL" the next time she does that.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
[/i]
Our lowest tiered managers are not this pathetic. That now makes me feel good about where I work.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »
This sounds like John Deere, servers went to a standstill one day because someone sent the whole company an email and the whole company kept replying all.  :nono:

1.  Sounds like John Deere's email server is really shitty amirite Saul?  I picture that thing sitting near some hay bails in a barn.

2.  They probably overloaded that thing with this forward: