Author Topic: WTB: CHEAP Meat Goat Parts!  (Read 3589 times)

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
WTB: CHEAP Meat Goat Parts!
« on: May 20, 2012, 01:54:36 AM »
I'm planning to switch my German Shepherd to a raw meat diet after testing out most of the high end kibble without great results.  I tried to stay away from it for a long time because it seems like a pain in the ass but I think it's time to give it a shot.  Has anybody else tried this before?

My main question is where to get this stuff on a regular basis without spending a fortune every month...

Here's what I'm after:

Raw Meaty Bones:
chicken leg quarters/backs/necks
turkey, pork, or lamb necks

Muscle Meat:
beef or pork hearts
sardines, tilapia

Organ Meat:
beef liver, kidney, or chicken livers.

If anybody has questions about feeding raw I'd be happy to answer them, but since I haven't tried it yet all I know is from the research I've done.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
WTB: CHEAP Meat Goat Parts!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:01:27 AM »
Do you have to bone out the chinkin parts first

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
Re: WTB: CHEAP Meat Goat Parts!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:19:51 AM »
Do you have to bone out the chinkin parts first

Nope.  As long as you don't cook it, they can eat the bones without a problem and they actually need bones to be about 10% of the raw diet.  I'd be nervous about choking at first so I may find a way to grind it down, but most people don't.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:28:58 AM »
is this like organic for dogs?  I mean, jesus.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 09:58:56 AM »
Our new basketball coach knows a lot about that breed.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »
my dog ate a chicken wing once and then a couple days later he was as super pissed and mean all the time. some of the bone got embedded in his gums or something and the vet had to put him under and remove it. I think he thinks it was all worth it though.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »
Feed him your garbage.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
I can't believe people still stuff their pets full of dry kibble. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:22:25 AM »

A lot of dogs eat their own crap/vomit if you leave them to it.  I cant believe people care enough to feed them anything better

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
my dog ate a chicken wing once and then a couple days later he was as super pissed and mean all the time. some of the bone got embedded in his gums or something and the vet had to put him under and remove it. I think he thinks it was all worth it though.

Was the chicken wing cooked and what breed do you have?

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »

Does this mean that you feed raw or are you talking about canned wet dog food?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »

yeah it was cooked. no wing sauce though. Australian terrier. he loved the crap out if it and got super freaked out mad when I tried to take it away so I just let him have it.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »

yeah it was cooked. no wing sauce though. Australian terrier. he loved the crap out if it and got super freaked out mad when I tried to take it away so I just let him have it.

Is that the dog that's always running loose around the neighborhood?  I've picked him up a few times to check his tags but he doesn't have one with an address on it.

When you cook the bones they become dry and then they splinter which is why he would have gotten a piece stuck in his gums.  Also, if they eat things really quickly you have to train them to chew up the bones so a lot of people start with chicken breast.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »
where do you live?  and how much work do you want to put into it?  some possible options based on your answers to the above are:

talk to a grocery store that butchers, or at least breaks down primal cuts.
find a custom slaughterhouse (the guys that do the butchering for all those buy a side at farmer's market dudes).
buy a sheep/goat/calf (dairly calves are often almost free).  take it behind the shed with your rifle hidden behind your back, cut up and stick in freezer, ???, profit.
buy a cheap hunting license, shoot free female deer, cut up and stick in freezer, ???, profit.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »
I am in between dogs, probably going to get a lab pup next year.  I would think wet food would be better than that soy and corn plus lamb scrotum stuff that comes dry in a bag. The cost will obviously be more but the dog will be ten times healthier and will save you a lot in vet bills.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »

Is that the dog that's always running loose around the neighborhood?  I've picked him up a few times to check his tags but he doesn't have one with an address on it.

When you cook the bones they become dry and then they splinter which is why he would have gotten a piece stuck in his gums.  Also, if they eat things really quickly you have to train them to chew up the bones so a lot of people start with chicken breast.

:lol:

yeah that's him. the guy loves chicken wings and loves to get out and run all over the place. I'm going to put an electric fence in the next month or so to stop it though. he does have a tag w/ vet number etc  and we've had people call before and tell us they have him and then we go pick him up.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 01:53:22 PM »
where do you live?  and how much work do you want to put into it?

The preparation and everything takes quite a bit of time so I don't really want to spend much outside of that.  I think a butcher would be the most logical solution because everything could be prepared but I wasn't sure who to contact.  A grocery store butcher would probably be worth a shot at least.

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »

Funny thing about the higher-ups on this board: I've seen Daris' dog run rampant in his neighborhood, KK's attack the children that live across the street from him, and heard that _FAN's dog ran away for a day before being found across town. I have to assume that pissclam's cat strolls all over The Plaza at night. These mods just can not control their pets.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »

:lol:

yeah that's him. the guy loves chicken wings and loves to get out and run all over the place. I'm going to put an electric fence in the next month or so to stop it though. he does have a tag w/ vet number etc  and we've had people call before and tell us they have him and then we go pick him up.
One time I was at Daris's house and opened the door to leave and the little rascal darted out the door.  I was like "DARIS!" and started chasing after him, but he gave me the "don't worry about it, he's alright."

I was really worried right when it happened though.  Panicked a little.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
where do you live?  and how much work do you want to put into it?

The preparation and everything takes quite a bit of time so I don't really want to spend much outside of that.  I think a butcher would be the most logical solution because everything could be prepared but I wasn't sure who to contact.  A grocery store butcher would probably be worth a shot at least.

they'll likely have scrap meat and bones at a grocery, but probably not organs.  a custom abattoir will have a lot more, more variety, and more likely free stuff.  i think ray's apple market has a butcher (iirc you live in mhk), not sure if any of the other grocery stores do.

when i was living in mexico, i got my dog about 30 lbs of bones and crap for his birthday one year.  froze them and gave him like one a day for the next month.  free.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »
they'll likely have scrap meat and bones at a grocery, but probably not organs.  a custom abattoir will have a lot more, more variety, and more likely free stuff.  i think ray's apple market has a butcher (iirc you live in mhk), not sure if any of the other grocery stores do.

when i was living in mexico, i got my dog about 30 lbs of bones and crap for his birthday one year.  froze them and gave him like one a day for the next month.  free.

Thanks, I'll give Ray's a call tomorrow and see what they say.  I think they could be a really good source if they have an actual butcher to talk to.

The only other place I was thinking about was the K-State meat lab.  They supply Call Hall with their meat and I think they might have a small store below Weber Hall.  Here is their website:  http://www.asi.ksu.edu/p.aspx?tabid=318

They look a little expensive but they might work out a bulk deal for me.