Author Topic: The Whiskey Thread  (Read 92747 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Whiskey Thread
« Reply #575 on: February 03, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »

Did you purchase a second bottle as control?

I probably should do that. Then I can use my 2nd stick in that one after I test it.

The Big Train

« Reply #576 on: February 03, 2015, 08:44:08 PM »
cant wait to hear the results  :excited:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 04, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
guys friday i took a tour of a local distillery and learned some things about some stuff:

1. The term "small batch" means absolutely nothing.
2. a surprisingly large number of companies use bulk whiskey instead of distilling their own.  I would have thought this was more outrageous but apparently it's pretty much industry standard.
3. The difference between making vodka and making whiskey is like 1 step in the distilling process and then of course vodka goes straight to the bottle instead of being aged in oak barrels.  I was like, whoa.  I had no idea vodka and whiskey were like, brothers pretty much.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 04, 2015, 07:05:07 PM »
guys friday i took a tour of a local distillery and learned some things about some stuff:

2. a surprisingly large number of companies use bulk whiskey instead of distilling their own.  I would have thought this was more outrageous but apparently it's pretty much industry standard.
3. The difference between making vodka and making whiskey is like 1 step in the distilling process and then of course vodka goes straight to the bottle instead of being aged in oak barrels.  I was like, whoa.  I had no idea vodka and whiskey were like, brothers pretty much.

The new Rieger whiskey does #2...then brings it to KC and mixes in the sherry to mimic the old time tradition of KC whiskey.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 04, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »
Tonight at halftime. #whiskeystickstasting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 04, 2015, 09:08:42 PM »
Nice flavor. Smooth. I didn't get a regular bottle of EW to compare yet, but my initial thoughts are positive. #whiskeysticks

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 04, 2015, 10:30:39 PM »
get a regular bottle for Saturday's game and race to the bottom!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 04, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
get a regular bottle for Saturday's game and race to the bottom!

I'll put it this way, Evan Williams featuring #whiskeysticks was by far the highlight of the evening.

The Big Train

« Reply #583 on: February 04, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
 :frown:    :lick:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 04, 2015, 10:45:42 PM »
:frown:    :lick:

It was actually pretty good. I need to compare to regular EW though.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 05, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »

I learned #2 recently as well. Specifically, I read an article that was about rye whiskey. Apparently, Bulleit Rye and Templeton Rye are the exact same grain makeup, Bulleit is just aged a little bit longer.*

#3 isn't shocking. For instance, "20% bourbon mixed with 80% neutral grain spirits" is written on the neck of Kentucky Deluxe bottles.

*edited to correct after examing Clams's tree chart.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:39:42 AM by waks »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 05, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »

I learned #2 recently as well. Specifically, I read an article that was about rye whiskey. Apparently, Bulleit Rye and Templeton Rye are the exact same product with different labels. I felt cheated when I learned this because those two have always been two of my favorite ryes.

#3 isn't shocking. For instance, "20% bourbon mixed with 80% neutral grain spirits" is written on the neck of Kentucky Deluxe bottles.

i've posted this before but

understanding it makes the conversations that you idiots have about bourbon very fun to read.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 07, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
bulleit rye  :love:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 18, 2015, 11:29:04 PM »
Tincup. Not branded as bourbon on the bottle, but "American Whiskey." Very easy drinking as the lower proof might suggest. It's bottled in and marketed as a Colorado whiskey, but it's really some domestic import to our neighbors to the west. Good drink tho. Perfect for someone looking to get into drinking neat.

Very cool bottle. Owned/ bottled by Stranahan's,which I've heard makes a great bourbon.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 18, 2015, 11:32:32 PM »
Tincup. Not branded as bourbon on the bottle, but "American Whiskey." Very easy drinking as the lower proof might suggest. It's bottled in and marketed as a Colorado whiskey, but it's really some domestic import to our neighbors to the west. Good drink tho. Perfect for someone looking to get into drinking neat.

Very cool bottle. Owned/ bottled by Stranahan's,which I've heard makes a great bourbon.

http://www.tincupwhiskey.com/

The Big Train

« Reply #590 on: March 18, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »

last time i checked you cant find stranahans outside of colorado much but it is very good

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 18, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »

last time i checked you cant find stranahans outside of colorado much but it is very good

did a tour here recently.   :thumbsup:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 18, 2015, 11:44:06 PM »

Yes, but this is some kind of front product. They bring in the 'sky, mix it with a little Colorado water, snap a cool looking bottle over it and put it in the stores. This isn't Stranahan's, but Stranahan's is the one who puts it out there. It's almost too easy drinking for me, and I'm not some stud whiskey guy.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 18, 2015, 11:51:48 PM »

Yes, but this is some kind of front product. They bring in the 'sky, mix it with a little Colorado water, snap a cool looking bottle over it and put it in the stores. This isn't Stranahan's, but Stranahan's is the one who puts it out there. It's almost too easy drinking for me, and I'm not some stud whiskey guy.

Yeah, not a huge whiskey guy either.  Don't think tincup was served to us, had a few others though.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 19, 2015, 12:55:38 AM »
Remember when I hated whiskey? Wow, what an idiot I was. Now it makes up 75+% of the alcoholic beverages I consume.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 19, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »
Going to ireland next month. Will check out the Jameson store house. Any other tours or brands to try?

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 19, 2015, 10:13:46 AM »
Going to ireland next month. Will check out the Jameson store house. Any other tours or brands to try?

:curse: Mods, move this post to The Whisky Thread

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 19, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »

:curse: Mods, move this post to The Whisky Thread
The Irish spell it Whiskey.  Scotts and Canucks drop the e

Uisce.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 19, 2015, 10:46:26 AM »
Welp

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 19, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »
That's what you get for being a whiskey dick, you get HerrSonntag droppin' slammers on your ass #PogLife