Author Topic: Summer Olympics thread  (Read 76880 times)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #550 on: August 08, 2012, 11:03:06 AM »
I like watching beach volleyball but hate watching indoor volleyball.  because of top gun?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »
I hate how the US men refuse to do anything but hit outside.  I guess our middle hitters don't have arms.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
I hate how the US men refuse to do anything but hit outside.  I guess our middle hitters don't have arms.
scheming

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 08, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »

i think you're opening up a can of worms. are golfers world class atheletes? because i'm pretty sure lebron couldn't practice golf for a year and be a dominant golfer. what about divers? i mean they just climb up a ladder and jump into a pool. are they world class atheletes? could lebron practice their sport for a year and be one of the best?

I don't really know.  case by case basis, I guess?  I'd say athletic ability is combination of physical prowess and also skill.  To me, a gymnast is the gold standard.  then I work down from there.  I'd say that Tiger is a worldclass athlete b/c he's f'n jacked is also very skilled.  Is Phil bitch-tits Mickelson also world class, athletically?  I want to say no, because whiel incredibly skilled, he doesn't appear to be much more physically superior than the average guy on the street.  Divers are basically gymnasts + water, so I'd say they're world class. 

Looking at volleyball, though, I see the skill set as being very similar to basketball.  I think many NBA bballers could play volleyball professionally, not the other way around.  Therefore, as I consider NBAers world class athletes, I necessarily can't view volleyballers as world class too.  Clearly, one class is superior to the other class, IMO.     

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 08, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
I have a hard time taking a sport seriously when teenagers win it...jmo.
Dax fan club member!

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 08, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »
lotta haters in this thread all of a sudden

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #556 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »
What is up with the US gymnasts in Costas interviews.  I've only noticed this with gymnasts.  Most of the other athletes seem natural and candid.  The gymnasts almost seem to be reading off a teleprompter.  (im pretty sure they arent)

They are little tiny robots

I said the exact same thing watching the team try to hug each other after someone finished an event. It's like they were programmed to hug.

Those gymnast girls are rough ridin' cold blooded killers and that is not meant as an insult.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 08, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
Could Lebron take lessons for a year and be a world class pianist? No. Pianists = world class athletes.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 08, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »
Men's volleyball, :flush:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 08, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
Could Lebron practice basketball for only one year and be MVP?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 08, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »
I like watching beach volleyball but hate watching indoor volleyball.  because of top gun?

I think it's because one looks fun and the other looks like got picked on in high school.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 08, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
scheming
just schemed themselves out of the rough ridin' tournament.  The last 2.5 sets against Russia and this match were exactly the same. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 08, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »

i think you're opening up a can of worms. are golfers world class atheletes? because i'm pretty sure lebron couldn't practice golf for a year and be a dominant golfer. what about divers? i mean they just climb up a ladder and jump into a pool. are they world class atheletes? could lebron practice their sport for a year and be one of the best?

I don't really know.  case by case basis, I guess?  I'd say athletic ability is combination of physical prowess and also skill.  To me, a gymnast is the gold standard.  then I work down from there.  I'd say that Tiger is a worldclass athlete b/c he's f'n jacked is also very skilled.  Is Phil bitch-tits Mickelson also world class, athletically?  I want to say no, because whiel incredibly skilled, he doesn't appear to be much more physically superior than the average guy on the street.  Divers are basically gymnasts + water, so I'd say they're world class. 

Looking at volleyball, though, I see the skill set as being very similar to basketball.  I think many NBA bballers could play volleyball professionally, not the other way around.  Therefore, as I consider NBAers world class athletes, I necessarily can't view volleyballers as world class too.  Clearly, one class is superior to the other class, IMO.     

lebron is the best basketball player to have ever lived. trying to suggest that he could stop playing basketball during the peak of his career and dedicate himself to volley ball (a sport with very similar but more limited skill sets) and be good at it, does not in any way lessen the athletic attributes/abilities of the volleyball players.

also, you're trying to say that some golfers are world class atheletes while others aren't. phil is one of the best at his sport ever.  ever. you're going to tell me that he isn't a world class athelete just because he isn't as ripped as other people in his sport. is a ripped golfer that hasn't won a major a world class athelete but phil isn't? gmafb. is prince fielder not a world class athelete, but johnny giavotella is?

also, i bet a lot of gymnasts could be divers but not the other way around, so you might want to rethink your philosophy on that. divers are not world class atheletes. sorry bub.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 08, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »
lebron is the best basketball player to have ever lived. trying to suggest that he could stop playing basketball during the peak of his career and dedicate himself to volley ball (a sport with very similar but more limited skill sets) and be good at it, does not in any way lessen the athletic attributes/abilities of the volleyball players.

also, you're trying to say that some golfers are world class atheletes while others aren't. phil is one of the best at his sport ever.  ever. you're going to tell me that he isn't a world class athelete just because he isn't as ripped as other people in his sport. is a ripped golfer that hasn't won a major a world class athelete but phil isn't? gmafb. is prince fielder not a world class athelete, but johnny giavotella is?

also, i bet a lot of gymnasts could be divers but not the other way around, so you might want to rethink your philosophy on that. divers are not world class atheletes. sorry bub.

admittedly, i wasn't prepared for the inquisition on this subject.  just saying, IMHO, that being an olympic athlete doesn't necessarily make one a world class athlete.  I think some participants in the games - archers, kayakers, ping pongers, syncro swimmers, etc. - are incredibly talented and skilled, but I hesitate to place them under the same "world-class" umbrella as participants such as the sprinters, gymnasts, basketballers.  I view it as a "you know it when you see it" type of thing. 

That's just me.   

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 08, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
If it was so easy to jump from gymnastics to diving or basketball to volleyball, why doesn't anyone do it? You would think the USOC would recruit some fringe Olympic basketball players to play volleyball and kick ass if it was that easy.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:39 PM »
If it was so easy to jump from gymnastics to diving or basketball to volleyball, why doesn't anyone do it? You would think the USOC would recruit some fringe Olympic basketball players to play volleyball and kick ass if it was that easy.

nfl player bobsled, jamaican cool runnings bobsled

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 08, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »

i don't know about gymnastics or diving.  But, with basketball and volleyball, I think a lot of fringe basketball players would make the transition if there was money to be made.  I wikid Matt Anderson, one of our stars, and he left college early to play pro ball in Korea and Russia.  Just not a very big sport in the US.  No money in it for most guys. 

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 08, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
i don't know about gymnastics or diving.  But, with basketball and volleyball, I think a lot of fringe basketball players would make the transition if there was money to be made.  I wikid Matt Anderson, one of our stars, and he left college early to play pro ball in Korea and Russia.  Just not a very big sport in the US.  No money in it for most guys.

Agreed.  The talent pool is larger in basketball in the USA because the $$$ pool is larger.  I would guess that some players from basketball could make the transition to volleyball if they wanted to, but then again, look at how changing sports worked for MJ, one of the greatest athletes ever.  Granted baseball has a huge talent pool also, but I don't think it would be simple for anyone to transition between sports, especially at an olympic level.

But then I think of people like Destinee Hooker. Who could compete in either the high jump or volleyball at the olympics.

So basically we should just get Lebron to retire from the NBA and start playing volleyball so we can settle this argument.  :grin:
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 08, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »

Agreed.  The talent pool is larger in basketball in the USA because the $$$ pool is larger.  I would guess that some players from basketball could make the transition to volleyball if they wanted to, but then again, look at how changing sports worked for MJ, one of the greatest athletes ever.  Granted baseball has a huge talent pool also, but I don't think it would be simple for anyone to transition between sports, especially at an olympic level.

But then I think of people like Destinee Hooker. Who could compete in either the high jump or volleyball at the olympics.

So basically we should just get Lebron to retire from the NBA and start playing volleyball so we can settle this argument.  :grin:

one thing is for sure though... if there ever was a basketball player that decided to transition to being a volleyball player, he would instantly lose his title of world class athelete. that we know.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: August 08, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
meh, but me might wonder how "awesome" the volleyballers really are if a basketball player simply transitioned over and played in the olympics. 

i dunno, I guess I'm underselling the sport.  I just think a lot of 6'10 basketball players could transition into volleyball and be really, really good at spiking and blocking. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 08, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:06:09 PM by WillieWatanabe »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 08, 2012, 01:57:06 PM »

nfl player bobsled, jamaican cool runnings bobsled

they weren't any good

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 08, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
Sidiki Sidibe = volleyball player to basketball player?...what could have been  :dunno:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 08, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »
I think we can all agree that if black people aren't doing it, it's not really a sport.