Author Topic: Summer Olympics thread  (Read 76840 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #525 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:57 AM »
USA gymnast just had a good performance, they showed clip of her dad standing up all excited when she flipped good and some old tuck behind him got mad and was gesturing for him to sit down.

http://deadspin.com/5932770/it-seems-everybody-loves-aly-raismans-parents-except-the-guy-who-had-to-sit-behind-them

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 08, 2012, 12:28:32 AM »
Cats at the olympics:

Erik Kynard, USA - Silver Medal, high jump, senior next year @ KSU
Jeffrey Julmis, Haiti - Prelims in 110 hurdles, 38th, did not qualify for semis, senior this past year @ KSU
Beverly Ramos, Puerto Rico - Prelims in 3000 meter steeplechase, 35th, did not qualify for finals, class of 2010
Korene Hinds, Jamaica - Prelims in 3000 meter steeplechase, 24th, did not qualify for finals, class of 2001
Austra Skujyte, Lithuania - Heptathlon, 5th, class of 2002

Yet to compete is Darius Draudvila of Lithuania in the decathlon the next two days.

Also something worth mentioning: all 3 USA high jumpers are coached by KSU's head coach Cliff Rovelto. Not too shabby for recruiting I would guess.

Proud of these Wildcats
:kstatriot:
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 08, 2012, 12:30:24 AM »

Also something worth mentioning: all 3 USA high jumpers are coached by KSU's head coach Cliff Rovelto. Not too shabby for recruiting I would guess.

Apparently it doesn't help recruiting football players who also want to be high jumpers.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 08, 2012, 12:35:39 AM »

Apparently it doesn't help recruiting football players who also want to be high jumpers.

Unfortunately... no   :frown: Maybe it will help recruit some football player sprinters? Some future Terence Newmans??? (Who I think has the 100 meter school record)
Eh? Maybe? One can hope.
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 08, 2012, 03:26:05 AM »
Tyson Gay and Veronica Campbell-Brown went to Barton CC...did not know that.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 08, 2012, 06:03:19 AM »
What is up with the US gymnasts in Costas interviews.  I've only noticed this with gymnasts.  Most of the other athletes seem natural and candid.  The gymnasts almost seem to be reading off a teleprompter.  (im pretty sure they arent)

They are little tiny robots

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 08, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
What is up with the US gymnasts in Costas interviews.  I've only noticed this with gymnasts.  Most of the other athletes seem natural and candid.  The gymnasts almost seem to be reading off a teleprompter.  (im pretty sure they arent)

They're like 15-17 yrs old, giv'em a break.  I probably would have crap myself at 16 talking in front of millions.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 08, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »
USA Gymnast:  Yeah, getting the gold medal was, like, soooo exciting. It is, like, such an honor and soooo amazing to do it for your country.

Bob Costas:  What was it like?

USA Gymnast:  Oh my, umm, it was soooo amazing to win the gold medal and do it for your country.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 08, 2012, 09:43:06 AM »
USA Gymnast:  Yeah, getting the gold medal was, like, soooo exciting. It is, like, such an honor and soooo amazing to do it for your country.

USA Gymnast:  Oh my, umm, it was soooo amazing to win the gold medal and do it for your country.

Maybe Bob Costas shouldn't be such a dumbass.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:44 AM »

:dubious: Should he ask them about their my little pony collection?

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 08, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »

:dubious: Should he ask them about their my little pony collection?

:dubious:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 08, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
It's like you guys are all professional interviewers.  :dubious:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 08, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »
I'm sort of conflicted over some of our men's volleyball players.  The ones that act like badasses.  It's like, yeah, you're kicking ass out there, but it's rough ridin' volleyball.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 08, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
I'm sort of conflicted over some of our men's volleyball players.  The ones that act like badasses.  It's like, yeah, you're kicking ass out there, but it's rough ridin' volleyball.

Meh, get over it.  They're world class athletes, and among the best in the world at their sport.
:adios:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 08, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »

+1.  Congrats, you're great at Volleyball.  In other words, you weren't great at basketball.  On the other hand, I love the crap out of men's volleyball when we're spiking balls off other countries' faces. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 08, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »

Meh, get over it.  They're world class athletes, and among the best in the world at their sport.

Define world class athlete.  I mean, they're the best in the world at their sport, no question.  But, does that make them a world class athlete?  Are the volleyball guys as "athletic" as the gymnasts, the sprinters, etc? 

Are team handballers world class athletes because they're in the olympics?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 08, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »

Define world class athlete.  I mean, they're the best in the world at their sport, no question.  But, does that make them a world class athlete?  Are the volleyball guys as "athletic" as the gymnasts, the sprinters, etc? 

I would argue that, yes, volleyballers are world-class athletes.  Requires incredibly quick reactions, quick bursts of speed, leaping ability, and hand-eye coordination.  It is a different type of athleticism than the sprinters / gymnasts / shot putters / etc. but I think it qualifies. 

I dunno about handball, but I hope not because I would really like to play for the 2016 team in Rio because handball looks incredibly fun.
:adios:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 08, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

No.  Playing volleyball is not a badass activity no matter what.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 08, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »

They're like 15-17 yrs old, giv'em a break.  I probably would have crap myself at 16 talking in front of millions.

It wasn't their fault.  They were coached/ reading.  Just let the kids be themselves.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 08, 2012, 10:46:22 AM »

there seems to be two separate arguments. 1- are they badasses? 2-are they atheletes?

no to the first and yes to the second
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:53:19 AM by rick daris »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »

You bet your ass they are, bruh.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
not saying they're not athletes.  just not sure about "world class." 

For instance, I think Lebron James could practice Volleyball in a gym for 1 year and, arguably, he would be a dominant volleyball player.  The reverse is not true.  Hence, Lebron James is world class athlete and our volleyballers are very good athletes. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 08, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »
What sports constitute being a badass?  I do agree that the US men's gymnasts and volleyball players seem less "badass" than those of other countries.  Soccer is similar as well.  I think it is just perception.  If you don't play Football, baseball, basketball or Hockey in the US you're pretty much though of as some sort of also-ran.  That isn't the case for gymnasts from Germany or Volleyball players from Brasil or Russia. 

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 08, 2012, 10:57:19 AM »

It could be argued that volleyball is more badass than two of the Big 4 American sports. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 08, 2012, 10:59:33 AM »
not saying they're not athletes.  just not sure about "world class." 

For instance, I think Lebron James could practice Volleyball in a gym for 1 year and, arguably, he would be a dominant volleyball player.  The reverse is not true.  Hence, Lebron James is world class athlete and our volleyballers are very good athletes.

i think you're opening up a can of worms. are golfers world class atheletes? because i'm pretty sure lebron couldn't practice golf for a year and be a dominant golfer. what about divers? i mean they just climb up a ladder and jump into a pool. are they world class atheletes? could lebron practice their sport for a year and be one of the best?