Author Topic: Moving to Manhattan  (Read 3985 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Moving to Manhattan
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
So I have finally decided to go back to school and finish my degree.   :cheers:

I had originally thought about staying here in Topeka and commuting, but the way gas prices are now, $150 a week in gas just doesn't make economical sense, so I'm looking to move to Manhattan instead.  My problem is that my online searches for houses and apartments have been pretty frustrating.  Everything is far less detailed than when I was looking for places in Lawrence, so I was hoping some of you would have advice on where to keep away from and what the good places might be.  I don't get to Manhattan very often except to see family, and the place has changed so much in the last few years, I hoped some of the more recent residents would have suggestions.

What I'm looking for:
1 bedroom preferred as I don't have any roommates.
I have a 2 year old lab, around 50 pounds, so it's a deal breaker for any place that won't accept pets her size.  Also a 1 br house with a yard would be ideal, but I don't think these are all that common.
Close to campus is good, but I'd consider further away.
Close to aggieville or things like that are not important to me.
Price I'm looking to keep under 650 a month or so.

I'm starting back in the fall semester, so August leases are fine, but something starting in June/July is also workable for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated, TIA.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »
Move in with Travis Tannehill

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
I would talk to the guy that owns ACE Hardware.  The place will be an absolute dump and he's not a very good landlord but it will meet the rest of your requirements.  Otherwise, get at least one roomate and go to:

http://www.walkscore.com/apartments/details/1118-vattier-st-manhattan-ks-66502/14673859

Offline scoops callahan

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
So I have finally decided to go back to school and finish my degree.   :cheers:

I had originally thought about staying here in Topeka and commuting, but the way gas prices are now, $150 a week in gas just doesn't make economical sense, so I'm looking to move to Manhattan instead.  My problem is that my online searches for houses and apartments have been pretty frustrating.  Everything is far less detailed than when I was looking for places in Lawrence, so I was hoping some of you would have advice on where to keep away from and what the good places might be.  I don't get to Manhattan very often except to see family, and the place has changed so much in the last few years, I hoped some of the more recent residents would have suggestions.

What I'm looking for:
1 bedroom preferred as I don't have any roommates.
I have a 2 year old lab, around 50 pounds, so it's a deal breaker for any place that won't accept pets her size.  Also a 1 br house with a yard would be ideal, but I don't think these are all that common.
Close to campus is good, but I'd consider further away.
Close to aggieville or things like that are not important to me.
Price I'm looking to keep under 650 a month or so.

I'm starting back in the fall semester, so August leases are fine, but something starting in June/July is also workable for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated, TIA.

Best of luck to you and I assume your cute dog on finding a place to live!
#LIFE

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »
Don't be pissing outside all over Manhattan.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:29:58 PM »

this is one of the things that made me want to stay in topeka.  very accepted here.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »
wow you could move to manhattan over the summertime and your not!? lmao have a fun summer at cirillas jackass

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:47:51 PM »
Same situation but don't want a nice place, just a cheap shithole. 1 BDR is my preference.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 02:28:24 AM »

this is one of the things that made me want to stay in topeka.  very accepted here.

my backyard is available for your dog (and you) to use anytime, amigo.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 03:21:12 AM »
Need a place fast? Cheap? Dogs ok?

John Pence is the only landlord you need to call

Offline 311Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 09:24:16 AM »
I too experienced the joys of living in a John Pence owned dump!!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
congrats, seven. live it up.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
I too experienced the joys of living in a John Pence owned dump!!

But the rent was cheap and you could pay a couple weeks late if you wanted to!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 03:17:19 PM »
Please, tell me more about this John Pence fellow.  I see that he is an experienced landlord, and is/ was pretty high up in KSU housing.  What type of money are we taking about with these rat's nests?  Does he have 1 BDR types?  Basically all I'm looking for is a workable kitchen and toilet, a place for my bed, a place for my Computer, and enough storage for some clothes and random stuff like golf clubs and books, or whatever. 

I would also prefer not to live near crack/ meth addicts.

Does this guy have his stuff listed anywhere?  Is there a number I can call.  My preference would be to pay the crap out of my rent (like 6 months or a full year, depending on how much I have on me in August) and not worry about it afterwards. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
My preference would be to pay the crap out of my rent (like 6 months or a full year, depending on how much I have on me in August) and not worry about it afterwards.

This is never a good idea.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
My preference would be to pay the crap out of my rent (like 6 months or a full year, depending on how much I have on me in August) and not worry about it afterwards.

Why so?  Potential to run into problems with the structure, plumbing, having the owner sell the property out from under you and keeping your loot?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »
nicname-

what are your thoughts about 2 year old 50 pound labs and roommating w/ a person that is moving from topeka back to manhattan to finish school? we may have our first goEMAW real world house.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »

Why so?  Potential to run into problems with the structure, plumbing, having the owner sell the property out from under you and keeping your loot?

Yes. I have actually lived in an apartment where the landlord died.

It's just a better idea to pay month-to-month, especially if you are going to live in a dump where the landlord doesn't seem too keen on fixing things.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »

It's just a better idea to pay month-to-month, especially if you are going to live in a dump where the landlord doesn't seem too keen on fixing things.

Yeah, my current landlord died like two-weeks after we moved in.  He was also my dentist, and a good guy. His wife was going to sell the place, but decided to let us rent it for as long as we wanted.  This is another reason i want a cheap place.  My son and his mom (we're together, with no reason to believe that won't continue) are going to still be living here and I'll be in Manhattan at school during the week.  Rent has really sky-rocketed in Manhattan since i last lived there (2007). 

I see your point though in that it could be risky, and I will probably use extreme caution in that decision. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »
nicname-

what are your thoughts about 2 year old 50 pound labs and roommating w/ a person that is moving from topeka back to manhattan to finish school? we may have our first goEMAW real world house.

Sorry for missing your post rick.  I'm not sure.  Though I also have a dog.  His name is Barley and he is a 2-year old Golden Retriever, and a complete pussy.  I like dogs but don't like it when peoples houses smell like dogs. 

Also, would there be cameras at this house? 

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
Money is worth more now than it will be in the future, while your rent price is locked in for the year. When you pay month to month you are effectively getting a cumulative discount each month based on the inflation rate.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 03:45:49 PM »

Yeah, my current landlord died like two-weeks after we moved in.  He was also my dentist, and a good guy. His wife was going to sell the place, but decided to let us rent it for as long as we wanted.  This is another reason i want a cheap place.  My son and his mom (we're together, with no reason to believe that won't continue) are going to still be living here and I'll be in Manhattan at school during the week.  Rent has really sky-rocketed in Manhattan since i last lived there (2007). 

I see your point though in that it could be risky, and I will probably use extreme caution in that decision.

The real problem is that you are gaining absolutely nothing and eliminating almost all of the risk on the landlord's side. Unless the landlord is willing to give you a fairly large discount on the rent, there just isn't any reason to pay it all up front. If you are worried about spending all of your rent money and living paycheck to paycheck, just put the rent money in a savings account at the bank. Hell, you could use half the rent money to purchase a 6 month CD (interest rates are laughable, but it's better than zero).

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »

The real problem is that you are gaining absolutely nothing and eliminating almost all of the risk on the landlord's side. Unless the landlord is willing to give you a fairly large discount on the rent, there just isn't any reason to pay it all up front. If you are worried about spending all of your rent money and living paycheck to paycheck, just put the rent money in a savings account at the bank. Hell, you could use half the rent money to purchase a 6 month CD (interest rates are laughable, but it's better than zero).

That was kind of my worry.  I probably won't be making much money while in school, but should get a lot of financial aid.  You've convinced me though and thanks for that. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:01:10 PM by nicname »