Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 47665 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Tipping
« Reply #300 on: February 09, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
Our staff expects payment.

do you consider lying to be one of the ways in which tipping undermines the nation's morality?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »
I can understand thinking tipping is stupid, but I bet 98% of ppl who have angst towards it, have never served a table in their life!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 09, 2016, 03:14:30 PM »
Do you tip prostitutes?  Do two immoralities cancel out?  What about a blackjack dealer?  Is my Christmas bonus considered a tip?  If someone charges me something for a service, and I am so pleased I feel compelled to pay more, is that a tip, and am I therefore racist?  So much pondering to do.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 09, 2016, 03:18:14 PM »
I think you know the answer to all those questions
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 09, 2016, 03:19:22 PM »
is there a more pud job in the world than waiting tables?  take an order, write it down, bring food, fill a glass with water, wader check please, etc.  what's the big deal?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2016, 03:21:25 PM »
Oh man what about the people that publicly lambaste a poor tipper on social media?  Or the waiter themselves in that instance?  They are demanding to be treated like slaves.  So weird.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »
I tip my barber, who happens to be the owner of the barbershop. Can someone please tell me if this is moral or not? TIA.

it is immoral, but since trim does it, by definition it is ethical.

Do you tip prostitutes?  Do two immoralities cancel out?

I guess it was a matter of time before there was an official Sergio thread.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »
Do you tip prostitutes? 

Does she have a pimp that she has to turn her money into or is she the proprietor of her own business?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
is there a more pud job in the world than waiting tables?  take an order, write it down, bring food, fill a glass with water, wader check please, etc.  what's the big deal?
You know how many jackasses a waiter/bartender have to put up with? They can tell within a minute or two of having a table, of what the outcome will be. You could be running 6 to 7 tables at a time, one is drunk as eff, one is needy as eff, etc. Ppl who've never worked a day in the industry, definitely don't get it. I think it's a good college job to have. Makes you have a personality if you don't have one. All the things that go into how they're tipped sucks too. Is the kitchen running behind? Did my manager over seat me? How fast is the bartender making my drinks, "eff, not fast enough, he's banging Sarah, so she's first!"

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »
Oh man what about the people that publicly lambaste a poor tipper on social media?  Or the waiter themselves in that instance?  They are demanding to be treated like slaves.  So weird.

no one said that only the morals of tippers are damaged by the system.  it warps and perverts the sensibilities of everyone involved.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »

:royals:

Offline BrokenSky1113

• Fan
  • Heaper of Wampums
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »
I always thought one of the perks of working for tips was that you didn't have to claim that money on your taxes. Maybe some of it, but definitely not all of it. So if you think about it the recipients of the tips are the ones who are being immoral AND unethical.

You have to report all of your tips on your taxes.  They make up part of your taxable income.  Also you have to pay social security and medicare taxes on it.

:lol:

Yeah, ok...

You actually do. Like, you can't leave your place of employment until you put them in. Your manager checks you out to make sure you did it right.

and your manager is the police?
some big companies will automatically report cash tips but every single manager at any store is gonna be cool about cash tips. It would cause so much friction it's not worth it for them. And for a tipped employee it can be a 1-2$ an hour difference depending on how many tips your pull in.
"yeah he (she???) is probably the worst fan we have" - Meow Meow

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »
sys, if I thought you were more emotional than I believe you to be, I would love to have dinner with you at a restaurant and see you struggle with this when the check came.  But I would guess you're just stoic as eff.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »

wow.  good job, meow meow.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2016, 03:30:54 PM »
It's hard for me to remember to carry around the smaller bills I need for tipping situations that can arise. I try to keep a stack of small bills by my door so I can grab some anytime I go out and think I might get stuck.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »
You know how many jackasses a waiter/bartender have to put up with? They can tell within a minute or two of having a table, of what the outcome will be. You could be running 6 to 7 tables at a time, one is drunk as eff, one is needy as eff, etc. Ppl who've never worked a day in the industry, definitely don't get it. I think it's a good college job to have. Makes you have a personality if you don't have one. All the things that go into how they're tipped sucks too. Is the kitchen running behind? Did my manager over seat me? How fast is the bartender making my drinks, "eff, not fast enough, he's banging Sarah, so she's first!"

sounds pud tbh

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2016, 03:31:54 PM »

wow.  good job, meow meow.

you got to go

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »
Not a surprising take by my guy, M^2.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »
sys, if I thought you were more emotional than I believe you to be, I would love to have dinner with you at a restaurant and see you struggle with this when the check came.  But I would guess you're just stoic as eff.

just because i understand that tipping is immoral doesn't mean i'm strong-minded enough to abstain.  i tend to tip about like anyone else (in restaurants anyways).  perhaps i'm a little more likely to withhold completely for poor service.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »
Not a surprising take by my guy, M^2.

:horrorsurprise:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 09, 2016, 03:40:50 PM »
It's hard for me to remember to carry around the smaller bills I need for tipping situations that can arise. I try to keep a stack of small bills by my door so I can grab some anytime I go out and think I might get stuck.

yes. I hate carrying cash to begin with, but there's really no other way to tip in non-restaurant situations. (save lyft drivers)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »

just because i understand that tipping is immoral doesn't mean i'm strong-minded enough to abstain.  i tend to tip about like anyone else (in restaurants anyways).  perhaps i'm a little more likely to withhold completely for poor service.

But like, I still would be surprised if you did something like wink at me and say "this is bullshit."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 09, 2016, 03:42:15 PM »
Every time I get ones when breaking a larger bill, I put a few in my console so I have something to tip Starbucks ppl with.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2016, 03:45:52 PM »
Our staff expects payment.

do you consider lying to be one of the ways in which tipping undermines the nation's morality?

I never felt like I/the resort was lying and I have never had a guest express that they felt lied to.  Nobody was required to pay anything = it was free.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2016, 03:48:01 PM »
It's like when you are supposed to give a "donation" for a charity raffle. You don't legally have to give anything to enter, but people are going to hate you if you try not to pay.