Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 47667 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Tipping
« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »
Having overseen a bellstaff at a resort, one thing that drove me nuts was people accepting an optional service and not tipping for it.  We did bell service and free optional valet.  If you don't want to tip, park yourself and get your own bags.  If you would rather have help, tip.  Granted, we paid our staff well above minimum wage too.  It was amazing how well tips motivated what turned out to be the best employees.  Usually if I was training someone, I could pull in an average of $10 a guest.

At lots of places bellstaff isn't really an optional service. I mean, I suppose it could be, but it's difficult to turn down without being rude.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 09, 2016, 02:08:07 PM »
Having overseen a bellstaff at a resort, one thing that drove me nuts was people accepting an optional service and not tipping for it.  We did bell service and free optional valet.  If you don't want to tip, park yourself and get your own bags.  If you would rather have help, tip.  Granted, we paid our staff well above minimum wage too.  It was amazing how well tips motivated what turned out to be the best employees.  Usually if I was training someone, I could pull in an average of $10 a guest.

At lots of places bellstaff isn't really an optional service. I mean, I suppose it could be, but it's difficult to turn down without being rude.

:lol:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 09, 2016, 02:09:41 PM »

why do you say you offer free valet service if you expect clients to pay for it?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 09, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »

Yes.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 09, 2016, 02:19:59 PM »
why wouldn't i want to pay a guy $5 to carry my bags? that's what vacation is all about.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 09, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »
I tip my barber, who happens to be the owner of the barbershop. Can someone please tell me if this is moral or not? TIA.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »
I hate it when there are bag guys at the airport who want you to pay them $5 to move your bag 10 feet.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2016, 02:21:32 PM »
I tip my barber, who happens to be the owner of the barbershop. Can someone please tell me if this is moral or not? TIA.

It is not necessary but still ok.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 09, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »

it is immoral, but since trim does it, by definition it is ethical.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 09, 2016, 02:23:46 PM »
Great point TownieCat!  We hired some dudes to do some stone work in our basement.  They were not the owners of the company, and they busted their asses to be done in one day, so I tipped them $100 total ($50 each).  We hired another guy to take the popcorn off the sealing and paint and such.  He was his own boss/company, so I did not tip him. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 09, 2016, 02:26:50 PM »
Great point TownieCat!  We hired some dudes to do some stone work in our basement.  They were not the owners of the company, and they busted their asses to be done in one day, so I tipped them $100 total ($50 each).  We hired another guy to take the popcorn off the sealing and paint and such.  He was his own boss/company, so I did not tip him.

What would you do if you hired someone to do some work and the workers were two guys, one of which is the owner?

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 09, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
I always thought one of the perks of working for tips was that you didn't have to claim that money on your taxes. Maybe some of it, but definitely not all of it. So if you think about it the recipients of the tips are the ones who are being immoral AND unethical.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 09, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »

What would you do if you hired someone to do some work and the workers were two guys, one of which is the owner?

In that case I would slip the worker (non-owner) a bill when the owner wasn't looking, and if we were caught I would pretend the worker was in fact slipping me something, and I would produce a hand written note that said something like "HELP!  I'M BEING HELD AGAINST MY WILL AND FORCED TO WORK THIS crap JOB!"

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 09, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
I always thought one of the perks of working for tips was that you didn't have to claim that money on your taxes. Maybe some of it, but definitely not all of it. So if you think about it the recipients of the tips are the ones who are being immoral AND unethical.

You have to report all of your tips on your taxes.  They make up part of your taxable income.  Also you have to pay social security and medicare taxes on it.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 09, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »

You have to report all of your tips on your taxes.  They make up part of your taxable income.  Also you have to pay social security and medicare taxes on it.

Yeah, ok...

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 09, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »
In that case, this discussion is moot, as no one receives any tips what so ever.  :lol:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 09, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »

Yeah, ok...

You actually do. Like, you can't leave your place of employment until you put them in. Your manager checks you out to make sure you did it right.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 09, 2016, 02:46:33 PM »

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 09, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »

Yeah, ok...

You actually do. Like, you can't leave your place of employment until you put them in. Your manager checks you out to make sure you did it right.

Can't you just say "I had 3 twenty dollar bills in my pocket when I got here today."?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 09, 2016, 02:47:39 PM »
I guess you could, but I didn't know many servers in college who had 3 $20 bills on them.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 09, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »
Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 09, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »

why do you say you offer free valet service if you expect clients to pay for it?

It's offered without an expectation of payment by the hotel.  Our staff expects payment.

As far refusing bell service, that happens all the time. Granted a family of 4 or people staying 4 days plus will take it nearly every time, but a lot of 2 night business trip people have their roller bag and don't need help. 

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 09, 2016, 02:56:35 PM »
ChiCat bringing some good points about why tipping is stupid
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 09, 2016, 02:58:19 PM »
I was unaware that managers give bartenders and servers patdowns after each shift. Yikes  :sdeek:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 09, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »
ChiCat bringing some good points about why tipping is stupid

I think it's stupid, but it is a societal norm.  I like the restaurants that have stopped accepting tips and instead, pay their staff a living wage.  That doesn't mean that I am not going to tip and force mistreated employees to suffer the consequences.