Author Topic: preseason rank?  (Read 20430 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: preseason rank?
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »
Pretty much every team that wins ten games got lucky or pulled something amazing out of their ass during a few of those wins.  I'll fully admit that Miami and Baylor were both games we could have certainly lost but we made plays to win those games, we weren't lucky.

a&m? tech?

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »
Refresh my memory, what lucky plays won those games?  (Seriously.  I'm a bit pak'd and don't recall either game all that well.  Probably cause I was pak' during those game.)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 11:03:08 PM »
Finished top 10 and returning the white qb everyone likes to see bleed.  If we are below 15, we have every right to hate ESPN and AP faces off.

We also got extremely lucky and should have been closer to 7-5 and got destroyed in the Cotton Bowl so we should be grateful just being ranked preseason.

If folks on GPC are 'tarded then you may be so, if only mildly.

I posted this earlier on the GPC board to those who go "meh, could have just as easily been 7-5...blah, blah luck blah"

Since people keep talking about "winning close" games as a worry from last year. I will reiterate once again...it isn't luck and the leadership ties into it.  The 2011 team has more leadership than any KSU team I can recall...we'll have it again in 2012.

Many of these games came down to the wire. Well, how does leadership play into that? It's simple.

1) Character
2) Decision-making
3) Resolve
4) Effort

People with strong character do NOT get rattled by exterior things such as the crowd or the opponent.  They remain on task in everything they do.  They do not let internal influences (exhaustion, doubt, etc) steer them from their duties or tasks. What is it people say about character when it comes to just about anything? Character is more defined by when things are NOT going your way.  Character reveals itself when you're tired (in basketball it is little things like attention to detail by not making silly turnovers) such as "grabbing grass" as a DL so you don't play too high.  The little things truly make the difference and character is a part of it.

Decision-Making speaks for itself. PREPARATION aids with the decision-making because LEADERS take it upon themselves to prepare. It doesn't matter if we're talking about being in the type of physical shape or approaching the game mentally (film study, knowledge of your offense or defense)...preparation is not something risked by LEADERS.

Resolve? Leaders and winners never given in. You're only as good as your last play. If you weren't that good on your last play do you give in or strive to do better?

Effort.  There are a lot of teams out there who do not play with the same passion or effort when the team they're tired or things are not going as well as they'd wished.  Teams with strong leadership play to the whistle and the final gun.

I honestly can't stand any of the "yeah, but we were lucky to win some of those games"....no, we were not. EVERYTHING we did in those crunch times or at important stretches of the game or specific situations was built from leadership. Remember, it takes 11 guys on your side to make plays successfully. Sure, some teams have better players but that doesn't mean all 11 on the other side are better on every play, or they're better prepared on every play, or make better decisions on every play.

We won for a reason and it wasn't "luck".

We will win close games again next year although I tend to think we'll have more blowout victories than a year ago.
Devil's Advocate:
The flip side is this though, will you blame this team as having a weak character, poor decision-making, bad resolve, and lack of effort if they lose close games next year? No you won't.  The intangables only matter when you want them to in order to fit a narrative.  If you really hold onto the "no luck" policy you should be consistent, but no one ever is.

I think our team was good and lucky.  It doesn't take anything away from last year to admit a lot of breaks went our way and we took advantage of them.

I'll happily call out our team for having shitty character and making bad decisions when we lose.  It fits my narrative.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
Refresh my memory, what lucky plays won those games?  (Seriously.  I'm a bit pak'd and don't recall either game all that well.  Probably cause I was pak' during those game.)

I think any goal line stand requires a little bit of luck.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »
Kinda hard to call 4 consecutive plays "luck." 

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 06:40:39 AM »
Didn't aTm drop a 2 point conversion or a TD or something?  I can't remember.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »

If we gave Miami the ball on the 2yd line and gave them 4 plays to get into the endzone, how many times out of 10 do you think we stop them?

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
We were clutch, we made plays at the right time, took the lead at the end of games. Much like ku's tournament run.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »
Well, we stopped them 4 consecutive plays, so at least 4/10. 

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »
We didn't turn the ball over and have killer penalties and give up huge plays late in close games.  The other teams did.  Not luck.  We are amazing.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »

If we gave Miami the ball on the 2yd line and gave them 4 plays to get into the endzone, how many times out of 10 do you think we stop them?
THREE TIMES!
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
Very Bold statement there.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

What I mean is, give them a first down and four chances to score. If that is considered "one time", then how many times out of ten can we hold them?

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:43 PM »
The vast majority of PATs are not blocked.  Does that make a blocked PAT lucky?  How about a long PR or KR?  Pretty rare, so they have to be lucky, right?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
I am not surprised most people didn't get my point.  I didn't present it very well.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »
We didn't have anything "lucky" happen to us last year.  We rallied in two games against lucky teams.  In the Baylor game RGIII hit like 4 redic amazing bombs, one on 4th down, for TD's.  We should have beat them by 20.  MilkManAggie we just toyed with.

Seems like we'd get up a couple scores and then run out the clock on the other team.  Lots of games that were a lot closer than they really were, TTech, the U and MU come to mind. 

OU and OSU are the lucky ones in my opinion.  We could have easily beat OSU and if we don't break the OU RB's leg, they pass less and lose to us.  Really, we were pretty unlucky not to go undefeated, should have been 12-0 last season.  lotta negative peggys on this board.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »
Preseason Rank - #12

4 teams we are way better than that will be ahead of us:  VaTech, WVU, Fla State, Michigan
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »
The vast majority of PATs are not blocked.  Does that make a blocked PAT lucky?  How about a long PR or KR?  Pretty rare, so they have to be lucky, right?

You should never ever attempt to play poker.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2012, 10:46:27 PM »
Poker and football are clearly the same thing.  :facepalm:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2012, 10:56:53 PM »
The football board is so defensive. We got lucky, get over it. I'm glad we got lucky and I hope we get lucky again.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2012, 11:06:56 PM »
The football board is so defensive. We got lucky, get over it. I'm glad we got lucky and I hope we get lucky again.
I wouldn't call it lucky, but call it refusing to lose. Our team just would not accept defeat! Yes, there were a few lucky plays in there like when Collin fumbled 5 times agains Miami and we lost none of them.

This team was just clutch.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
my god you guys are an insufferable bunch. the fball team was outgained by 600 yards last year and almost/should've made it to a bcs bowl. how can you not say that they were lucky?

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2012, 11:21:14 PM »
my god you guys are an insufferable bunch. the fball team was outgained by 600 yards last year and almost/should've made it to a bcs bowl. how can you not say that they were lucky?
Can someone pull up our RedZone defensive stats? I'm sure that would prove why we won as much as we did.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2012, 11:27:45 PM »
Can someone pull up our RedZone defensive stats? I'm sure that would prove why we won as much as we did.

go for it

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2012, 11:28:45 PM »
if anything we should have won 11 games. Consider Ok St lucky that Klein didnt run it on in