Author Topic: Was Obama really a constitutional law professor?  (Read 4600 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Was Obama really a constitutional law professor?
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
"Ultimately, I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said at a news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

This statement hit me really hard yesterday. It would seem that our president believes any law passed by a democratically elected body is exempt from following the US Constitution, and that the Supreme court has never struck down a law that has been passed by a majority. This is why we have three separate branches of government, to protect the people from this kind of mob ideology.  Also, I wouldn't call 219-212 a strong majority, especially since the last 4 democrat votes had to be purchased by him.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Was Obama really a constitutional law professor?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
Obama has burned the Constitution. Period. He is a joke.
EMAW

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
he said he doesn't think the SC will strike down the law.

you take from this that he doesn't believe in a 3 branch system.

i don't really know what to say....
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
he said he doesn't think the SC will strike down the law.

you take from this that he doesn't believe in a 3 branch system.

i don't really know what to say....

He stated that the Supreme court has never (unprecedented) struck down a law that was voted on by congress, which is false. He also says it would be "extraordinary", but that is the purpose of the supreme court, to interpret the constitution. Nothing extraordinary about it. It would be extraordinary and unprecedented to force everyone purchase insurance from private companies under duress.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
unprecedented - yes, a misuse of the word, and mostly just exaggeration and political speak.

extraordinary - i don't see your objection to this word being used.  please correct me if i'm wrong, but the supreme court does not regularly/often/most times/ordinarily strike down laws passed by congress.  yes it has happened, but it is not a common occurance.

just seems like you are taking a pretty big jump here.

he talked up his bill, pretty much the way any politician would.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
unprecedented - yes, a misuse of the word, and mostly just exaggeration and political speak.

extraordinary - i don't see your objection to this word being used.  please correct me if i'm wrong, but the supreme court does not regularly/often/most times/ordinarily strike down laws passed by congress.  yes it has happened, but it is not a common occurance.

just seems like you are taking a pretty big jump here.

he talked up his bill, pretty much the way any politician would.

Speaking of big jumps, "strong majority" is a pretty big leap for a bill that passed by seven votes on a Saturday night without a debate or even being read by anybody that voted for it. He's just become laughable.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
If the SC nullifies the mandate in the health care law, it's going to be great to watch as Republicans slowly realize that Social Security privatization is also unconstitutional.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
How can anybody support this guy?
EMAW

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:12:09 PM »
first: he is lobbying the court nothing more
second: what do you want him to say?  Yeah its all bullshit?  Compare it to the AAA? 
third: what has he destroyed in the constitution? what specific examples can you point to?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »
second: what do you want him to say?  Yeah its all bullshit?  Compare it to the AAA? 
third: what has he destroyed in the constitution? what specific examples can you point to?

Off the top of my head Obama has taken two huge dumps on the constitution via extending the Patriot Act and NDAA

edit: set the precedent for assasinating American citizens. Bombed more countries than Bush without going through congress or even letting the American people know about it
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:17:24 PM by p1k3 »

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »

I think he was lobbying his supporters, not the court. His public pleas will have no affect on the SCOTUS.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:27:47 PM »
He sounds like an ignorant rough ridin' ass.

All he does is whine and complain and pout. We might as well have any 80 yr old hag as Pres. I bet when neighbor kids lose a frisbee over the fence at the WH, he yells at them to stay off the lawn and trashes the bee.

:flush:

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:07 AM »

I think he was lobbying his supporters, not the court. His public pleas will have no affect on the SCOTUS.
if you've studied the court that is COMPLETELY untrue. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »

Off the top of my head Obama has taken two huge dumps on the constitution via extending the Patriot Act and NDAA

edit: set the precedent for assasinating American citizens. Bombed more countries than Bush without going through congress or even letting the American people know about it
404 your posts bitching about this 4 years ago.

Also the assassination of American citizens is not a new thing. 

People need to stop giving Obama all this credit.  Although he is at fault for using these new found executive powers.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 09:43:07 AM »

People need to stop giving Obama all this credit. Although he is at fault for using these new found executive powers.

nothing new
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »

People need to stop giving Obama all this credit. Although he is at fault for using these new found executive powers.

nothing new
new since Nixon and expanding ever since.  I would say a pretty good expansion under Bush as well.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 10:05:13 PM »

nothing new
new since Nixon and expanding ever since.  I would say a pretty good expansion under Bush as well.

MURDERER!!!!        THOU SHALT NOT BE COMPLICIT       MURDERER!!!!

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
Bush and Obama use the Constitution as toilet paper

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/03/opinion/presser-obama-supreme-court/?hpt=hp_bn4

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/04/05/_reporter_to_carney_obama_made_a_mistake_and_you_cant_admit_it.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303299604577323802316101544.html

The anti-intellectual left will apologize for Obama's stupidity until they are blue in the face.  It's great, more evidence to stack on the heaping pile of evidence that they are nothing more than a bunch of frauds who stand for nothing. 

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »
He sounds like an ignorant rough ridin' ass.

All he does is whine and complain and pout. We might as well have any 80 yr old hag as Pres. I bet when neighbor kids lose a frisbee over the fence at the WH, he yells at them to stay off the lawn and trashes the bee.

:flush:

this is exactly how i imagine you are.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 12:20:07 AM »

Not sure what you are implying here. Are you saying that the executive branch has direct influence over of the judicial branch in complete defiance of the constitution? I understand that that judicial appointments and supreme court nominations have become political, but once they are seated, the executive branch has no influence. The supreme courts only job is to interpret laws and and make rulings based on the constitution. It seems pretty stupid for a president to try and influence their opinion with insults and condescending quips in public. If he wants to bitch about it in his memoirs, fine, but to do it as president is embarrassing. 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

Not sure what you are implying here. Are you saying that the executive branch has direct influence over of the judicial branch in complete defiance of the constitution? I understand that that judicial appointments and supreme court nominations have become political, but once they are seated, the executive branch has no influence. The supreme courts only job is to interpret laws and and make rulings based on the constitution. It seems pretty stupid for a president to try and influence their opinion with insults and condescending quips in public. If he wants to bitch about it in his memoirs, fine, but to do it as president is embarrassing.
dude you're smarter than this.  You said public pleas have no effect which is completely false.  The SCOTUS has a long history of punting issues or deciding on issues quickly when public and governmental voices grow.  That is all I was getting at.  The 9 wise do listen to various forms of public opinion. 

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 08:30:15 PM »

Constitutional expert Judge Andrew Napolitano says he fears that the president is skirting “dangerously close to totalitarianism” with his recent questioning of the authority of the Supreme Court to conduct a review of ObamaCare.

“A few months ago he was saying the Congress doesn’t count. The Congress doesn’t mean anything. I am going to rule by decree and by administrative regulation.” Napolitano said

“Now he’s basically saying the Supreme Court doesn’t count. It doesn’t matter what they think. They can’t review our legislation. That would leave just him as the only branch of government standing.”

“I think he has some problems with understanding the Constitution or accepting limitations on his power.” the Judge added.

In essence, Obama appears to be making the case that the Constitution is outdated because it allows for “an unelected group of people” to make judicial decisions.

“There are equal branches of the government, but with respect to what the law means and what the Constitution means, the court is superior to the president.” Napolitano noted.

“No president in modern times has questioned their authority.”

“This is an extreme view of the Supreme Court and the Constitution, one that has not been articulated since Andrew Jackson.” The Judge urged.

EMAW

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »
I pretty much stopped reading with the smart part of my brain when you quoted something (fox news?) saying Napolitano was a "constitutional expert"......but.....

how does Obama fit into these widely accepted categories?
an elaborating guiding ideology;
a single mass party, typically led by a dictator;
a system of terror;
a monopoly of the means of communication and physical force;
and central direction, and control of the economy through state planning.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »
I pretty much stopped reading with the smart part of my brain when you quoted something (fox news?) saying Napolitano was a "constitutional expert"......but.....

how does Obama fit into these widely accepted categories?
an elaborating guiding ideology;
a single mass party, typically led by a dictator;
a system of terror;
a monopoly of the means of communication and physical force;
and central direction, and control of the economy through state planning.
You dont have a brain.
EMAW