Author Topic: I think we'll do well under Weber  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I think we'll do well under Weber
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Seriously.  He won't make us much better than we were under Frank, but I think he'll continue to keep us around 4-5th place in the conference and a Round of 32 NCAA team.  His history says as much.

Of course, the ultimate test is his recruiting.  He needs to hire a recruiter.  HIRE A RECRUITER, COACH!

:kstatriot:

(So sue me for going against the board wisdom, I don't care...)

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: I think we'll do well under Weber
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
I agree that he will do that for a year or two - I think most do. The problem is that he proved he cannot win with his own players at Illinois, and he had a great recruiter in Jerrence Howard.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »
This is going to be asbury round 2.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »
I agree that he will do that for a year or two - I think most do. The problem is that he proved he cannot win with his own players at Illinois, and he had a great recruiter in Jerrence Howard.

Yep, for the next two years, I agree with Ghost...but both Weber and Lowery have proven that things will change for the worst.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
Okay, there was a downward trend his last four years at Illinois.  But Wooly and Asbury never put up numbers at KSU like Weber's last four years at Illinois (all with his own players):

24-10 (11-7)
21-15 (10-8)
20-14 (9-9)
17-15 (6-12)

And this run came after a down fifth-year at Illinois (16-19 record).  So, Weber built these Illinois teams himself.  He also built an NCAA-tournament program out of dogshit at SIU.  Don't really see why people are predicting doom.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »
Okay, there was a downward trend his last four years at Illinois.  But Wooly and Asbury never put up numbers at KSU like Weber's last four years at Illinois (all with his own players):

24-10 (11-7)
21-15 (10-8)
20-14 (9-9)
17-15 (6-12)

And this run came after a down fifth-year at Illinois (16-19 record).  So, Weber built these Illinois teams himself.  He also built an NCAA-tournament program out of dogshit at SIU.  Don't really see why people are predicting doom.

So maybe he's a little better than Asbury and Wooldridge. Great.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »
Seriously.  He won't make us much better than we were under Frank, but I think he'll continue to keep us around 4-5th place in the conference and a Round of 32 NCAA team.  His history says as much.

Of course, the ultimate test is his recruiting.  He needs to hire a recruiter.  HIRE A RECRUITER, COACH!

Yesterday was April Fools..
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »

24-10 (11-7)
21-15 (10-8)
20-14 (9-9)
17-15 (6-12)

Or how about much better.  His record at Illinois is much more comparable to Frank's record at KSU than it is to Asbury or Wooldridge.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:29:05 AM »
I know I can't convince anyone on this board, just giving my POV.   :emawkid:

Offline purplenutz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »

24-10 (11-7)
21-15 (10-8)
20-14 (9-9)
17-15 (6-12)

Agreed. This is not even close to TanTom 2.

12-15 (3-11)
17-12 (7-7)
10-17 (3-13)
17-12 (7-9)
20-13 (7-9)
9-19  (2-14)

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »
Moral victory!

Seriously though, I wanted to believe that there was potential for oscar to turn out to be an OK hire.  Even if all odds were against it.  Then his opening press conference happened and he talked about prioritizing Kansas recruits, and that last shred of hope disappeared.

It's a defeating feeling.  At least we'll have Rodney and JO's senior year to enjoy before we go completely belly up.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »

24-10 (11-7)
21-15 (10-8)
20-14 (9-9)
17-15 (6-12)

Honestly, I think its a decent point.

My disappointment in Weber stemmed mainly because it was an uninspiring, uncreative hire and he clearly isn't a national face to a program. Then as I looked at his last few years even his good teams appeared "soft" to me, or at least softer than what I've come to enjoy watching at K-State.

Honestly, when I look at his recruiting I can see some upside, especially over his last few years at Illinois. Of course, its legit to wonder if he can do that at K-State. We'll see who else he gets on staff.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »

24-10 (11-7)
21-15 (10-8)
20-14 (9-9)
17-15 (6-12)

Or how about much better.  His record at Illinois is much more comparable to Frank's record at KSU than it is to Asbury or Wooldridge.

The one major difference would be that Weber inherited a roster filled with NBA talent played in the title game and parlayed that success into a record that is a little/much better that Wooly Asbury.

I'M CONVINCED

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
P.S.  Frank took over a team with NBA talent at KSU and didn't do as well as Weber at Illinois.  Something to think about.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: I think we'll do well under Weber
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »
P.S.  Frank took over a team with NBA talent at KSU and didn't do as well as Weber at Illinois.  Something to think about.
all of Frank's talent was really young and that team had obvious holes. Frank was also really young. Not nearly the same, imo

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 10:37:04 AM »

24-10 (11-7)
21-15 (10-8)
20-14 (9-9)
17-15 (6-12)

That was at Illinois, with Jerrance Howard. He had a losing conference record with his own recruits at Illinois. With Jerrance Howard. Even if you consider similar results here as acceptable he doesn't have any of the advantages here that he had at Illinois.

We'll probably go to the NCAA tournament next year. Then we'll hover around .500 and live on the bubble (get left out twice) for the next couple years. Then after a couple 6-12 type years we'll fire him and hopefully make a hire to start rebuilding the program. This is happening.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:18 AM »

Frank had 2 NBA players, both freshmen. Weber had 5 NBA players. It really isn't a big deal to have "NBA talent" if you are only talking about 1 or 2 players. Just about every team in the Big 12 has NBA talent.

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »

You really are the ghost of Stan Parrish, the coach who nearly ruined the university, I can see why you like this hire :facepalm:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »

There was that KU game...

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »

Frank had 2 NBA players, both freshmen. Weber had 5 NBA players. It really isn't a big deal to have "NBA talent" if you are only talking about 1 or 2 players. Just about every team in the Big 12 has NBA talent.

You don't think very highly of Michael Beasley.   :dubious:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »

You don't think very highly of Michael Beasley.   :dubious:

Oh, I think the world of him, but you can't just put him on an otherwise shitty team and expect a national championship. Frank has proven to be an excellent X's and O's coach. He managed to finish in the upper echelon of the Big 12 every single year without recruiting a single NBA player. Weber has proven that he is capable of winning with an NBA roster, but he has also proven that he can't win without one, and he has proven that he can't actually build and NBA roster for himself.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »
I know I can't convince anyone on this board, just giving my POV.   :emawkid:

Tap out, or whatever.  I have work I need to do.  This thread will be here in 3-4 years for somebody to pull up.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
Like _FAN said this is so much more than simply looking at records and wondering whether he can keep us hovering around the 4 or 5 spot in the standings. We hired oscar Weber in less than a week. Whatever your opinions on Gottlieb are you have to admit we should have at least listened to what he had to say. We didn't. We made a safe, uninspired hire to pad Currie's resume.

As Pete said in another thread (or maybe on twitter) college basketball is about recruiting and brand. And we have neither. Even when we finished 4th in the conference with Frank people paid attention to us. Because we had Frank, our program had an identity and ESPN ate it up. If we finish 4th with oscar Weber no one is going to notice. That's the problem with this hire. And also the fact that I don't think he can keep us at 4th or 5th in the league.

Also, his voice is just unbearable.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »
The fact that he was branded a racist in the Chicago HS/AAU circles is kind of disheartening too

Offline naturalselection

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »

Dee Brown was a So. when oscar took over at Illinois.  He played for oscar for 3 seasons.  Drafted in the 2nd round of 06.  He was the #19 rsci rated player in his class out of high school. 

Deron Williams was a So.  He played 2 seasons for oscar.  Drafted #3 overall in 05.  #48 rsci

James Augustine was a So. when oscar started.  Played 3 seasons for oscar.  Drafted in the 2nd round in 06.  #78 rsci

Luther Head was a Jr in oscar's first season.  He played 2 seasons with oscar.  Drafted #24 overall in 05.  Fringy top 100 h.s. recruit (did not make rsci top 100).

Roger Powell Jr. was a Jr. when oscar took over.  Stayed 2 seasons.  Not drafted.  #62 rsci.

Nick Smith was a Jr.  Played 2 seasons with oscar.  Not drafted.  #77 rsci.

Rich McBride was a frosh.  Played 4 seasons.  Not drafted.  #28 rsci.

Brian Randle was a frosh.  Played 4 seasons.  Not drafted.  #53 rsci.

Aaron Spears was a SO.  Played 1 season with oscar before transfering to St. Johns.  Not drafted.  #86 rsci.

Warren Carter was a frosh.  Played 4 seasons for oscar.  Not drafted.  Fringy top 100 player (made several lists, rsci not one of them). 

That look like about what Frank walked into?