Author Topic: Frank giving money to high school players  (Read 876 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Frank giving money to high school players
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »
Don't know where to put this so I'm making another thread for it.
1.  When Frank said he gave players money, he did not specify college student athletes, he just said when kids went to college.  I'm assuming he had plenty of former players who went to college but didn't play.
2.  If he did give money to college athletes and normal college students, and former athletes that didn't even go to college; good for him.
3.  High school coaches giving money, meals, gifts, etc. to players is very very common.  Confession time.  When I was in high school my family didn't have a lot of money.  I had more than one high school basketball coach give me money, food, clothing, etc.  And I can say with absolute certainty that I wasn't the only player while I was there.  My coach also gave me a fairly sizable loan when I sstarted college.  He actually ended up hiring me on his staff when my quest to walk on at GCCC ended, but at the time of the loan he didn't know he was going to hire me.

Anyway the point of this is that anyone with any cursory knowledge of high school sports, including Mark Emmert, were not shocked by Frank's comments.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Frank giving money to high school players
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:31:09 PM »
I don't think anybody particularly cares about it.  ESPN just needed something for their CBB sidebar that wasn't F4 related

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
How much could a high school coach with a family afford to give a college kid. Even the $200 Samuels received would be a stretch.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »
Don't know where to put this so I'm making another thread for it.
1.  When Frank said he gave players money, he did not specify college student athletes, he just said when kids went to college.  I'm assuming he had plenty of former players who went to college but didn't play.
2.  If he did give money to college athletes and normal college students, and former athletes that didn't even go to college; good for him.
3.  High school coaches giving money, meals, gifts, etc. to players is very very common.  Confession time.  When I was in high school my family didn't have a lot of money.  I had more than one high school basketball coach give me money, food, clothing, etc.  And I can say with absolute certainty that I wasn't the only player while I was there.  My coach also gave me a fairly sizable loan when I sstarted college.  He actually ended up hiring me on his staff when my quest to walk on at GCCC ended, but at the time of the loan he didn't know he was going to hire me.

Anyway the point of this is that anyone with any cursory knowledge of high school sports, including Mark Emmert, were not shocked by Frank's comments.

Even at a pretty rich school, we had a few kids that needed help.  I know one that had groceries bought for him and his family by coaches or teammates on several occasions, and rarely paid for his own school lunch.  This is not news.  It is, however, refreshing to hear someone on the inside talk about it openly, on a national stage.
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »
how you feel about what frank said really tells alot about what type of person you are.

we have a lot of terrible human beings (or maybe just  :opcat:) in our fanbase.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite