Author Topic: George Zimmerman is a piece of crap  (Read 199692 times)

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Trayvon Martin
« Reply #1800 on: July 15, 2013, 11:13:21 PM »
I think gun rights are the issue here, possibly more than race. Zimmerman was not properly trained to handle a firearm, and for that reason, I don't think he should have been allowed to have a concealed carry permit.

Zimmerman being a racist didn't kill Trayvon, his gun did.

I lean this way. I'm pretty sure Zimmerman would have shot a kid of any color.
I'm in this camp too, though sadly I think he was trained just as well as anyone who gets a concealed carry permit...which is to say very minimally.  I have friends who have taken the concealed carry class and even they say the amount of "training" is equally laughable and frightening.

imo, the nra got really lucky that this case was hijacked by the civil rights community early on because, on it's face, it undeniably disproves the asinine argument that more guns equal safer law-abiding citizens.

Get the eff outta here, what does this even mean? It's not even true, it was a local grassroots effort & facebook campaign that made this story national & forced the SPD to do something, anything.

it deserved a trial.  regardless of who demanded it.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 15, 2013, 11:13:36 PM »
Apparently it was super rough ridin' hard for the jury to understand.

Quote from: anderson cooper
Because of the only, the two options you had, second degree murder or manslaughter, you felt neither applied?

Quote from: juror
Right. Well, because of the heat of the moment and the stand your ground. He had a right to defend himself. If he felt threatened that his life was going to be taken away from him or he was going to have bodily harm, he had a right.

Well, I'll forgive the juror for mixing up her terminology. She's jsut talking about self defense. This was not an instance where the ability to retreat would even come into play.

Look.  I think we are talking past each other. 

First, I believe that a duty to retreat-- or at least a less expansive notion of what qualifies as a justification for the use of deadly force by both law enforcement and armed citizens-- would be an apt revision of self-defense laws throughout the country.  That is my thought about first principles, not an argument on the case law.

Secondly, Stand your ground was discussed as part of the prosecution's theory of George Zimmerman's mindset on the night of the killing, it was in the jury's instructions, and it was specifically cited by the only person to so far come forth and describe the deliberations in the jury room.  I think it is an open question whether or not she understood to what degree stand your ground had any application in the case.  I think to argue it had no effect on the case is wrong. 

All of that is significantly less important to me than further discussing the endless scenarios where people can instigate conflicts, then claim they were threatened with great bodily harm, then justifiably kill someone.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Trayvon Martin
« Reply #1802 on: July 15, 2013, 11:17:51 PM »
If you get into an altercation and no witnesses saw who intsigated the fight, as long as you kill the other party, you're free to go.  That's the law.

pretty much this

It does not even matter who instigates.

You can't prove who instigated it in this case. I personally think Zimmerman lied at worst or left out a lot of key details at best, but the evidence to contradict his story just wasn't there.

The instigation is irrelevant.  The standard for justifiable use of deadly force is:

"The danger facing George Zimmerman need not have been actual; however, to justify
the use of deadly force, the appearance of danger must have been so real that a reasonably
cautious and prudent person under the same circumstances would have believed that the
danger could be avoided only through the use of that force. Based upon appearances, George
Zimmerman must have actually believed that the danger was real."

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 15, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »
So when does this all die down? I mean, surely they won't slam the weight of the DOJ down on him.  Right?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: July 15, 2013, 11:28:03 PM »
the fact that that woman who fired into the wall is going to get 10 years or whatever it was is about 1000x more outrageous than zimmerman not getting convicted.

but of course, this is america.  who cares about some innocent person being unjustly imprisoned when there's still someone left that we could conceivably put in prison walking free.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 15, 2013, 11:30:53 PM »
The boss of the assistant state's attorneys did a real good job in her presser explaining that the murder charge against Zimmerman included his pursuit of, confronting of and eventual shooting of Martin.  Would've been good to use in the trial.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 15, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »
the fact that that woman who fired into the wall is going to get 10 years or whatever it was is about 1000x more outrageous than zimmerman not getting convicted.

but of course, this is america.  who cares about some innocent person being unjustly imprisoned when there's still someone left that we could conceivably put in prison walking free.

I agree to a point.  Not sure how to weigh 10 years as 1000x worse than a dead body.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 15, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »
I think gun rights are the issue here, possibly more than race. Zimmerman was not properly trained to handle a firearm, and for that reason, I don't think he should have been allowed to have a concealed carry permit.

I'm in this camp too, though sadly I think he was trained just as well as anyone who gets a concealed carry permit...which is to say very minimally.  I have friends who have taken the concealed carry class and even they say the amount of "training" is equally laughable and frightening.

imo, the nra got really lucky that this case was hijacked by the civil rights community early on because, on it's face, it undeniably disproves the asinine argument that more guns equal safer law-abiding citizens.

Get the eff outta here, what does this even mean? It's not even true, it was a local grassroots effort & facebook campaign that made this story national & forced the SPD to do something, anything.

It didn't originally go to trial because the state didn't believe it would get past a grand jury.   They skipped a grand jury because of public pressure (a lot of which was from terrible media coverage), and will possibly be looking at ethics violations (or something, I have heard an investigation is starting). 

Taking a case to court that won't pass a grand jury, and is only tried because of public pressure (and knowing that you will lose) does not sound like a case that deserved a trial.

Just my opinion.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 15, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »

Oh MS, you never cease to amaze me.

What a sack of garbage, he should stop trying so hard to impress white people around him. Yes jackass, using racist terms on a rough ridin' youtube is exactly what's going to help what you're bitching about. I hate black people who think all black people should beholden to some sort of rough ridin' crusade to "make us better." I don't see white people making videos calling the millions of other whites YOLOing their way through life crackers and peckerwoods.

Quite an ironic use of the term Uncle Tom by that cigar chomping, women's flea market sunglasses wearing piece of trash.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: July 15, 2013, 11:34:10 PM »

Is that the "warning shot" case? I do remember thinking there was something really bizarre about that conviction. Was it upheld on appeal or is that going on right now?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:23 PM »
If you get into an altercation and no witnesses saw who intsigated the fight, as long as you kill the other party, you're free to go.  That's the law. 

there were witnesses and audio dumbass

Witness and inconclusive audio, certainly you know this

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:41 PM »

What a sack of garbage, he should stop trying so hard to impress white people around him. Yes jackass, using racist terms on a rough ridin' youtube is exactly what's going to help what you're bitching about. I hate black people who think all black people should beholden to some sort of rough ridin' crusade to "make us better." I don't see white people making videos calling the millions of other whites YOLOing their way through life crackers and peckerwoods.

Quite an ironic use of the term Uncle Tom by that cigar chomping, women's flea market sunglasses wearing piece of trash.

Yeah, weird video.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: July 15, 2013, 11:39:44 PM »

It didn't originally go to trial because the state didn't believe it would get past a grand jury.   They skipped a grand jury because of public pressure (a lot of which was from terrible media coverage), and will possibly be looking at ethics violations (or something, I have heard an investigation is starting). 

Taking a case to court that won't pass a grand jury, and is only tried because of public pressure (and knowing that you will lose) does not sound like a case that deserved a trial.

Just my opinion.

I also had a huge problem with this. Skipping the GJ and going with the ridiculously misleading affidavit of probable cause. It was a purely political move, and Angela Corey should be brought up on ethics charges. She'll skate though.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/alan-dershowitz-vs-angela-corey-over-misleading-affidavit-of-probable-cause/
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 15, 2013, 11:42:05 PM »

Don't feel bad, most minority groups do it.

"a schande vor de goyim" was a pretty epic allegation by Abbie Hoffman.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 15, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »

Just my opinion.

I also had a huge problem with this. Skipping the GJ and going with the ridiculously misleading affidavit of probable cause. It was a purely political move, and Angela Corey should be brought up on ethics charges. She'll skate though.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/alan-dershowitz-vs-angela-corey-over-misleading-affidavit-of-probable-cause/

I would actually agree that there may well have been prosecutorial misconduct.  The defense raised a couple troubling allegations.  Unfortunately, as you insinuate, prosecutorial misconduct is never pursued. 

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: July 15, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »

whether or not the audio was inconclusive is based on interpretation of testimony.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: July 15, 2013, 11:52:59 PM »

Is that the "warning shot" case? I do remember thinking there was something really bizarre about that conviction. Was it upheld on appeal or is that going on right now?

I just googled it and now I remember. The fact that she lost on SYG is actually not that surprising. She didn't have a duty to retreat, but she did retreat, was evidently in the clear, and then returned with the gun. So self defense is going to be a tough sell.

What was crazy is that she was convicted of attempted murder for what was pretty clearly a warning shot. Assault at best. Certainly not attempted murder beyond a reasonable doubt.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Trayvon Martin
« Reply #1817 on: July 15, 2013, 11:55:22 PM »
Angela Corey should be brought up on ethics charges. She'll skate though.

What, did she start a fight with an unarmed kid and kill said kid when it turns out she was a really shitty fighter, or something? :confused:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 15, 2013, 11:58:13 PM »

Just my opinion.

The media coverage was fine. The grand jury issues and all issues after the trigger was pulled are directly attributable to the Sanford Police Department.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 16, 2013, 12:01:19 AM »

whether or not the audio was inconclusive is based on interpretation of testimony.

You mean the testimony where no one can definitively state who was screaming? Like I said, inconclusive.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 16, 2013, 12:02:50 AM »

I just googled it and now I remember. The fact that she lost on SYG is actually not that surprising. She didn't have a duty to retreat, but she did retreat, was evidently in the clear, and then returned with the gun. So self defense is going to be a tough sell.

What was crazy is that she was convicted of attempted murder for what was pretty clearly a warning shot. Assault at best. Certainly not attempted murder beyond a reasonable doubt.
George Zimmerman was sitting in his truck, completely in the clear, and then he chased down an unarmed teenager with his gun. He didn't fire a warning shot, though.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 16, 2013, 12:05:22 AM »

You mean the testimony where no one can definitively state who was screaming? Like I said, inconclusive.

there was only one person that wasn't sure who it was...

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 16, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »

there was only one person that wasn't sure who it was...

There was only one person who would have testified any differently if people were trying to say that a yelping dog were somebody crying for help.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile