Author Topic: KSU Cat Michael Beasley to Lakers? (nope phoenix) (oh wait yep, lakers!!!)  (Read 167405 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KSU Cat Michael Beasley to Lakers? (nope phoenix)
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
Who cares about Wilt and Russell? They wouldn't even be able to play in the D-League today.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »
Who cares about Wilt and Russell? They wouldn't even be able to play in the D-League today.

I am 100% dead serious in agreeing with this. When is the last time anyone watched old-timey basketball? LOL. Other old players who would be garbage - Pistol Pete. LMFAO! Could he even dribble with both hands?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
I don't think Kansas has even fielded a basketball team over the past 15 years or so that Wilt would be able to walk onto. I mean, congratulations to Wilt Chamberlain for being a foot taller than everybody else on the floor. In 15 years when most women's college basketball teams have girls taller than 6'8", are we still going to be amazed with Brittany Griner?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
Wilt could play for the 2013-2014 Kansas State Wildcats, though. He wouldn't start, but we would have a scholarship for him.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
Wilt could play for the 2013-2014 Kansas State Wildcats, though. He wouldn't start, but we would have a scholarship for him.
Don't give oscar any ideas! (now where's my shovel?)
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline meSACKwilliams

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »
There is no point in comparing modern era and older players.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
Only a bunch of butthurt 'taters could stoop low enough to compare the greatest NBA player of all-time to a drugged out sex offender bust.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »
Only a bunch of butthurt 'taters could stoop low enough to compare the greatest NBA player of all-time to a drugged out sex offender bust.

Greatest of all-time!  :D

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: KSU Cat Michael Beasley to Lakers? (nope phoenix)
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2013, 08:21:58 PM »
You're being a little hard on him, I don't think Wilt was a bust, beems.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »
It would appear that Beasley supporters are making stud/valid arguments all over this thread and Beasley detractors/ Wilt supporters are failing miserably.

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
Beasy would own Wilt.  Wouldn't be fair.

lol they had to make new rules because wilt was destroying teams.

link?

they widened the lane, added goal tending, added 3 sec. in the lane, and they changed the free throw shooting rule also

So basically, a tall guy starts playing this game, and the rule book has to be completely re-written? Sounds like the guy that wrote the original set of rules was a real asshat & the original rules aren't worthy of being used as toilet paper. Woof

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
Wilt would not make a current NBA roster. I actually doubt he would get a D League look.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 02, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »
Wilt would have teabagged Bustley, mumped his mom, and never called her back.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 02, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »

:facepalm:

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 02, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
Wilt would have teabagged Bustley, mumped his mom, and never called her back.

I think Mama Beas may have a little something to say about that . . . Your statement reads as though you're getting angry. I'm with you, man. If Wilt were here today, I would be 100% behind Weber giving him a scholarship.
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 02, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
I remember hearing stories about how Bob Boozer used to own Chamberlain.  Here's a good one.

MANHATTAN, Kan. - The date was Feb. 3, 1958, when No. 4 Kansas State visited No. 2 Kansas and came home with a 79-75 double-overtime victory in Allen Fieldhouse.

Let's revisit that game by stepping back in time and entering Allen Fieldhouse on Feb. 3, 1958, when 17,000 were on hand for the meeting between 14-1 K-State and 12-2 Kansas.

Prior to the game, Abbott recalls, "Tex came into practice and literally told us that he had a dream on how we could beat KU. I was going to be at Wilt's (Chamberlain) belt buckle, while Bob (Boozer) and Jack (Parr) would be on each shoulder. Tex said if Wilt goes to the bathroom, it was going to be with this triangle around him."

Now, let's call a quick timeout, because the memories of these Wildcats in their mid-70s today isn't what it used to be, and even a box score of the game is tough to come by.

Boozer, 6-foot-8, called the defense a 1-3-1 with the 6-9 Parr in front of the 7-2 Chamberlain, while he played behind the KU giant.

"Tex created a brilliant defense that created a sandwich around him," said Parr.

Don Matuszak said of the defense. "Roy DeWitz was on Ron Loneski, Boozer was behind Chamberlain and Parr was in front of him, and Hayden and I zoned the other three guys."

Perhaps it was a defensive combination of all of the memories, but for sure, as Boozer said, "The defense worked to perfection."

And even that is somewhat questionable as Chamberlain did score 25 points, but that was six under his season average of 30.1 points per game.

Boozer scored 32 in the game, while Parr and Abbott added 15 and 13, respectively. While Chamberlain had 14 rebounds, DeWitz was high for the game with 15.

K-State opened a 41-28 lead at the half by, as Boozer said, "We were a big team, but we were a running team. If someone was open, Matuszak was going to put it on you."

But then as Matuszak recalls, "We ran at every opportunity in the first half, but then Tex wanted to slow it down in the second half and we almost slowed it down too much."

Reports say that K-State ran 2:33 off the clock at the end of regulation, but missed the shot to leave the game tied at 60-60.

Abbott didn't remember the stall, but did say, "We did have a motion offense where we really went looking to score."

The first OT was a defensive struggle at 5-5, which included a pivotal blocked shot by Parr on Chamberlain that was whistled as a jump ball.

In a day where they really did have jump balls, Parr proudly recalls, "I got the tip," and then Abbott finished the play.

"I turned and drove right at Wilt and flipped the shot off the backboard and it went in," Abbott said. "People tell me Tex was up shouting, 'No, no, no, no-no-no-no ... great shot!' Had it not gone in I might have never played again."

The shot moved the game into the second OT when K-State's free throw shooting took over with Parr making seven one-pointers in a row after Boozer had fouled out.

Asked if he ever wanted to tell coach Winter that he was willing to take Chamberlain straight up, Boozer was quick with a "... no, no, no, no ... don't even go there. I didn't have that cocky attitude. We were a team."

Plus, Boozer said, "He was 7-2 and I was 6-8. When he got you in the low post, you were dead. When he went to dunk, you made sure your hand was out of the way because he was going to break it. From the waist up, he had the body of a weight lifter."

Matuszak remembers dining in Lawrence after the game and returning for a pep rally in Ahearn Field House: "Students exceeded curfew that night!"

Already crowned Big 7 champions, K-State would lose the final two games of the season to Nebraska and to Kansas in Ahearn Field House, 61-44.

"We had already won the conference so I'm guessing it was a mental lapse and we just went into a funk waiting for the (NCAA) tournament to start," said Abbott. "I know Tex wasn't real happy."

K-State, 22-5 for the year, defeated Cincinnati and Oklahoma State in the NCAA Regionals, but then lost to Seattle and Temple in the Final Four staged in Louisville, Ky.

@lopakman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 02, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
I think Bob Boozer is good enough to earn a scholarship for the 2013-14 Kansas State Wildcats, too.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »

"From the waist up, he had the body of a weight lifter."

K-State, 22-5 for the year, defeated Cincinnati and Oklahoma State in the NCAA Regionals, but then lost to Seattle and Temple in the Final Four staged in Louisville, Ky.

These days, everyone lifts weights.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 02, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »

So you agree, he'd be average at best if he was playing now. 
@lopakman

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 02, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
Did Bob Whogivesashit score 100 points and take over 2000 women to Pound Town?  No.  Only a 'tater would put Bob and Wilt in the same category.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 02, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Also, Wilt and any other player from an older era would benefit from today's technology if they played now, so that butthurt 'tater argument doesn't fly.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
Did Bob Whogivesashit score 100 points and take over 2000 women to Pound Town?  No.  Only a 'tater would put Bob and Wilt in the same category.

Quote from Wilt before he died.

"Having a thousand different ladies is pretty cool, I've learned in my life. I've (also) found out that having one woman a thousand different times is more satisfying."

@lopakman

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 02, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »

So you agree, he'd be average at best if he was playing now.

Yes, I agree 100%  :fatty:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 02, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »

They both belong in the "players who used to be elite but couldn't make a D-League roster in 2013" category.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 02, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »
Wilt would be the best center in the NBA if he played today.  There are teams doing back flips to try to get Greg Oden, a guy who hasn't played since 2009.  You're a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) if you think a 7'2 center who put up 100 points and 50 rebounds in a game wouldn't play today.