Author Topic: ESPN blog on MHK  (Read 5019 times)

Offline bigDcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
ESPN blog on MHK
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/46864/k-state-fans-introduce-us-to-the-little-apple

Someone should write an official goEMAW write-up on MHK. Maybe one of y'all townies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: ESPN blog on MHK
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
Add this to the list of reasons why I wish Fatty was still here.

Can you imagine?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:44:02 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/46864/k-state-fans-introduce-us-to-the-little-apple

Someone should write an official goEMAW write-up on MHK. Maybe one of y'all townies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I submitted about a paragraph extolling the wonders of the Chinese Chef.  :peek:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
^ reminds me of the Crab Rangoon Thread.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
I sent him this

Here's the VICE guide to Manhattan Kansas.

Start at So Long Saloon, eat the fried pickles for an appetizer. Order the Crank it up and Head South burger. Drink Old Milwaukee off the tap (only OM tap in America). Take a mind eraser before you leave.

Head down to O'Malleys and continue drinking. If it's Saturday they probably have $2.50 high life bottles. Take a Irish Car Bomb (but they call them Belfasts). When it's nice out there is usually live music out back.

Go left through the alley, walk through the cars in Starbucks drive thru and go into Coco Bolos. Order a carafe of Sangria and race. If you aren't with a friend, one of the cooks will probably do it with you. Order food if you didn't at So Long Saloon. Get the Evil Desert Chicken or the Tijuana Trainwreck.

Come back out and go right down the alley. Go party in whatever the bar on the corner is currently called. It gets a new name every few months because the owner goes out of business each time but somehow resurrects it under a different moniker. All the girls in there are probably underage, so take some Lemon Drop shots with them.

By this point you're pretty drunk. Probably time to abuse Jimmy John's bathroom. No line, no complaints from the staff, and usually fairly clean until last call.

Go back out through the same alley but this time head right towards the Aggie Lounge. Can beer, whiskey & coke pitchers, deviled eggs, and the worst bathroom you'll ever see. It's awesome.

Auntie Mae's is next. It's left down the block from the Lounge. The bar is in a basement because it was a speak easy during prohibition. It's dark, full of hippie chicks, and probably still smells of smoke despite the  ban passing 5 years ago.

I'm guessing by now you are in black out mode and nearing last call. Time to head to Kites or Tubbys to get your dance on. It doesn't matter which, they are interchangeable. Dance like nobody is watching Ubbs!

When the bars close it's time to eat again. Hunam Express does dirty Chinese until 3am. Pita Pit and Jimmy Johns get slammed. If you want pizza get Cream Cheese Pepperoni from Pizza Shuttle. It's on the other side of campus but they deliver all night. Their phone number is 776-5577. Everyone that went to K-State will be able to recite this until they are on their deathbed. The jingle is seared into our brains.

Puke on some random street, stumble home, and pass out in your clothes.

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
^ reminds me of the Crab Rangoon Thread.
'goons are icing on the Sesame Chicken combo plate.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »
Kansas State is tucked away in Manhattan

:sdeek:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »
I sent him this

well done. (didn't want to quote the whole thing.)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »

Auntie Mae's is next. It's left down the block from the Lounge. The bar is in a basement because it was a speak easy during prohibition.
[/quote]

actually not true. the prohibition part, not the directions or basement part.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:35:24 PM »

Auntie Mae's is next. It's left down the block from the Lounge. The bar is in a basement because it was a speak easy during prohibition.

townies ruin everything.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »

townies ruin everything.

sorry i had to do that to you. also, i pak'd maes face off yesterday. almost burned it to the ground. luckily i didn't.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
We'll see if Bob Strawn gets them to mention Breakfast at the Hilton Garden Inn

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »

I knew that had to be bullshit.

Much like the Wabash Cannonball origin, but that's another (fictional) story.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:16:34 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:55:59 AM »

[/quote]

Thanks for ruining the fantasy I create in my head that I am as cool a 1920s playboy when I go drink threre. I'll make sure to let them know who convinced me to never spend my money there again.

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »
There's nothing wrong with a little embellishment.  Facts are not as important as possibilities.  For all we know, Johnny Kaw was built by an ancient civilization with the help of aliens...this is evident in the fact that Johnny Kaw has the exact same face as the Sphinx (only little Johnny still has his nose).

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »

Thanks for ruining the fantasy I create in my head that I am as cool a 1920s playboy when I go drink threre. I'll make sure to let them know who convinced me to never spend my money there again.

I don't think cool 1920s playboys were drinking hit-and-miss tarantulas with playing trivia against 32-year-old townies that have worked at the video store for 11 years since they flunked out their freshman year. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:16:40 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »

I don't think cool 1920s playboys were drinking hit-and-miss tarantulas with playing trivia against 32-year-old townies that have worked at the video store for 11 years since they flunked out their freshman year.
[/quote]

great wannabe townie post., bad person.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »

great wannabe townie post., bad person.

Sorry, townie was the wrong term to use there.  What is the correct term to call someone who lives in Manhattan but has a condescending view of KSU and sees the students as a detriment to the town, eventhough KSU is the reason they are there in the first place?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:24:03 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »
Frownies?  :dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
Sorry, townie was the wrong term to use there.  What is the correct term to call someone who lives in Manhattan but has a condescending view of KSU and sees the students as a detriment to the town, eventhough KSU is the reason they are there in the first place?
I don't think Mae's patrons are like that.  At least not on trivia night.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/46925/the-big-12-guide-to-k-states-home-turf

Thanks to all of you who e-mailed. A nice showing for the Purple Cats.

Here's your guide to Manhattan, Kansas from the people who know it best.

Scott in Olathe, Kan., wrote: Thank you for posting my comments for the KU introduction, I felt I was very fair and balanced. Manhattan has been growing a lot and so changing, but some things just stay the same. Get to BSFS early to tailgate, possibly one of the best atmospheres for college football. After the game, you always have to go to Aggieville. Rusty's is a staple that you have to at least stop by if you're an alum. The great thing about Aggieville is there are bars for about any scene you want.O'Malley's for an Irish bar setting. Auntie Mae's for a nice gathering with live music (generally art folks). Kite's for the greek folks. Porters is great. So Long Saloon has some great food. Rock-a-Belly has great sandwiches. For one of the BEST Chicken fried steaks I've had is at The Texas Star. A lotta folks like The Hibatchi Hut too.

Jon in Manhattan wrote: Aggieville is definitely the place to be before ABS after the games. Food, shopping, bars, it's all there. A new place called Taco Luche just opened up and is excellent.

Nate in Manhattan wrote: If you are visiting Manhattan for the 1st time or 10th time and have not been to the Call Hall Dairy Bar on KSU's Campus, then you are missing out. Getting ice cream freshly made in the building on the north edge and then walking through campus is an awesome idea on a fall Saturday. Even if your team lost, this will help you feel a whole lot better afterwards.

Sam in Manhappiness wrote: As a student here and lifelong diehard, I can assure you LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium will provide one of the most electric atmospheres in Big 12 football.

My take: He's right. K-State is a wayyyy underrated atmosphere.

chowder in Prairie Village, Kan., wrote: Yo UbbEMAWn. Props on the blog.The real K-State experience is to come in off Coach LHC Bill Snyder Highway, head straight Billy Snyder Family Stadium and tailgate in the lots. But here's a quick and dirty list on Aggieville food and drinks. So Long Saloon:Food - Raspberry Black Bean Dip and A Resist Temptation (Burger with fried egg bacon and cheese) Drink - Nancy (Old Milwaukee and Pineapple Juice) Coco Bolos: Food - Coco's Q (Queso that's out of this world) and Coco Bananas (bananas with brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans and flamed dark rum w/ ice cream) Drink - Sangria. Aggie Lounge aka The Lou: Food - Pickled Eggs Drink - Bush Light Tall Boy Auntie Mae's Parlor: Drink - Tarantula (Drink a couple of these and you're set for the day) Go Cats

Scott Grier in Tulsa, Okla., wrote: Can't take a trip to the little apple without stopping through Aggieville, but if you tire of all the collegiate shenanigans in "the ville" stop by Harry's Uptown. Harry's is, simply put, best restaurant in town and almost always plays host to visiting athletic department personnel, head coaches, visiting celebrities, and just about anyone else wanting an upscale dining experience in the middle of the Flint Hills. Nestled in the lobby of an old hotel, this restaurant constantly appears on top 10 lists of several Kansas City publications. Cheers!

Robby in Manhattan wrote: To those who may be blessed enough to come see the Cats play in the Fall, there are a few more things Manhappenin' has to offer than a legendary coach and a The Chamber that will drive your defense crazy. Most definitely playing a round at Colbert needs to be on the list of things to do. The course has been consistently ranked in the top 5 of collegiate golf courses and also ranks in the top 20 of hardest golf courses in the nation. It may be a difficult place to play but the golf course is kept in pristine condition and the view of the flint hills is amazing. Now golfing is good and all but if it's an afternoon game you want to make sure you're at LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium a few hours early to start tailgating. After EMAW has done work, it's time to eat, Aggieville has alot of great restaurants to eat at, however So Long Saloon is at the top of my list of places to eat. Their "Resist Temptation" combines an egg with a hamburger and does the job right, also they have a pineapple beer called a "Nancy" that is amazing. After eating at So Long's Aggieville is a great place to spend the night. GO CATS!

Michael in Frisco, Colo., wrote: Just wanted to write you in regards to a place to eat in Manhattan. For Breakfast/Lunch, there is no place better than The Chef Cafe. Kirsten runs the place and will make sure everyone is taken care of. The food is phenomenal (Bananas Foster Pancakes are a must) and the service/atmosphere is even better. I'm sure a number of people will be recommending it, but I've moved to Colorado since my time in the Little Apple and The Chef maybe what I miss most.

Skip Cowan in Wichita, Kan., wrote: Manhattan has four scenic overlooks that everyone should see. Top of the world, Manhattan hill, KS hill and the Konza prairie. Taking a date to any of them is bound to land you a second date...unless you support KU.

BlackCats in Manhappiness wrote: Take LHC Bill Snyder Highway to LHC Bill Snyder Stadium. If you get there early enough, park DIRECTLY north of the stadium, otherwise you'll be stuck in a goat field (I'm not kidding). Tailgating at The Bill is about as enjoyable as it gets. If it is a noon game, hit Early Edition for breakfast. Evening games demand that you stop in Aggieville for either Taco Lucho/So Long Saloon or Hibachi Hut. After an early game head to the Ville to Kite's (#1 sports bar in the nation 2009) or Tubby's.

Nate in Kansas City wrote: All visitors should visit Auntie Mae's. It's a former speakeasy, so the bar is underground for the most part, with a shot station and pool table on the first floor. It feels like an underground saloon.

Brian McCandless in Manhattan wrote: There's no place on earth I love more than LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium on gameday. Get there early for some great tail-gating in a fantastic atmosphere in the parking lot right outside the stadium. Everyone is always willing to share. But don't spend too long out there, because you'd better get in for some pregame rituals. The Pride of Wildcat Land Kansas State University Marching Band and Willie pumping up the crowd are a real treat, and always send chills down your spine. After K-State gives you a heart attack by winning a close game, check out some quieter places outside of Aggieville - you can go there on a non-gameday if you want to actually get in anywhere. Places outside of Aggieville include Litte Apple Brewery or Ingredient (though it is Lawrence-owned). Above all, enjoy the K-State friendliness where everyone says "Welcome to K-State!" that'll make you feel right at home - and you'll never want to leave.

Connor in Manhattan wrote: Manhattan is a unique city to visit when following your team around the country. Aggieville is our bar district and it is a fantastic place to go after the game to celebrate, win or lose. Every student and fan goes to aggieville after the game making it a fun place to be and the oldest bar is Kites if you want to go the traditional route. If you're looking for a good place to eat then visit Little Apple Brewery which brews its own beer and has delicious prime rib each gameday! Come visit the Little Apple and have a fun time!

Zach Harmon in Manhattan wrote: You gotta check out the Chef Cafe on 4th street on Saturday morning before the game. Food TV ranked it the best breakfast spot in Kansas, and you know we know how to eat!
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 11:59:26 PM »
jesus christ @ the first guy. there is no "Hibatchi" Hut and Texas Star isnt even there anymore. Rustys is not a staple unless your like in your 40s

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 12:51:22 AM »
jesus christ @ the first guy. there is no "Hibatchi" Hut and Texas Star isnt even there anymore. Rustys is not a staple unless your like in your 40s

Huh?  Did the hibachi hut close?  That was my favorite place in manhattan.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline powercat_62

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »

Huh?  Did the hibachi hut close?  That was my favorite place in manhattan.

No, the Hibachi Hut is still there, but there is no such place as the "Hibatchi" Hut.  Last time I was in Manhattan it seemed like Hibachi Hut had taken over all the space where Texas Star was, but I think they still serve both menus at the Hibachi Hut.

Also, last time I was in town, Rusty's Last Chance was just "Last Chance" .
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:48:25 PM by powercat_62 »

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 11:21:28 AM »
Hibachi Hut occupies the entire restaraunt now.

Rusty has just aquired managing stake in Last Chance again and is now tied into Kites through the back patio.