Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 327949 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #575 on: May 07, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »
rusty and yla, if i go do yoga will i find a girlfriend like really fast or does it take a few classes?
I've found taking a girl on a date to yoga is very accommodating.. (You should probably go for a while before you do this)

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Fitness Questions!
« Reply #576 on: May 07, 2013, 09:33:21 AM »
cats2win, look up Dick Hartzell. He has a bunch of information on stretching with bands, as well as exercising with them.

Will do...I really am not interested in surgery.  No weakness in my knee...just pain when I put my foot at a weird angle like stepping on a stick when walking.  Hopefully strengthening of muscles will fix the problem.  Desk work seems to be taking a toll on me.

you're the guy that always asks for advice and then is a prick to people giving you advice, right?

oh well, live and learn

No, I was actually soliciting serious responses and thanks to few other posters I received them. I only see one person being a prick here.

Based on your condition, yoga would probably be better for you than anything else mentioned. It's low impact, and a well designed workout would gradually warm you up before going into any deep stretches, would stretch the hamstring and surrounding muscles in several different ways, both in terms of how active the stretch is and which muscles are stretched, and would have counter-stretches to strengthen the hamstring at the same time.

On top of that, you would probably be more relaxed at the office.

Of course, it's not exactly "manly", so you'd probably be better off just waking up, doing some deadlifts (as heavy as possible), slamming a glass of raw eggs, and heading to the office.

I really thought you were being a smartass. I wouldn't mind yoga, but I don't have the time for classes with my work schedule. I was simply following the advice of my doc which was to work on strengthening my calves, quads, and hammies. I know how to take care of everything but hammies at home with the equipment I have.

The minor pain that I have is at the front of my knee around my knee cap for the person who asked.
@mikec2w

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #577 on: May 07, 2013, 09:41:52 AM »
cats2win, look up Dick Hartzell. He has a bunch of information on stretching with bands, as well as exercising with them.

Will do...I really am not interested in surgery.  No weakness in my knee...just pain when I put my foot at a weird angle like stepping on a stick when walking.  Hopefully strengthening of muscles will fix the problem.  Desk work seems to be taking a toll on me.

you're the guy that always asks for advice and then is a prick to people giving you advice, right?

oh well, live and learn

That's kim carnes that does that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:39 AM »
We also have Hot Vinyasa Yoga, Vinyasa Flow Yoga, Hatha Yoga and Yin/Restorative Yoga. Which do you do Rus?

I usually hit up morning motion yoga, which is pretty easy. sometimes I do flow yoga at lunch, where I sweat like a pig. It all depends on the teacher.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #579 on: May 07, 2013, 09:50:15 AM »

oh well, live and learn

That's kim carnes that does that.

kim carnes is interesting enough to be memorable.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 07, 2013, 09:50:20 AM »
It's entertaining when rusty gets butthurt.  Yoga could probably help with that. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
It's entertaining when rusty gets butthurt.  Yoga could probably help with that.

I enjoy it, too. Very refreshing. Like yoga! :D

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 07, 2013, 10:17:34 AM »
There is a poster on this board who's wife is the crap as a yoga teacher and for the flow class is usually bumping some sweet ass tunes and even had a DJamer come last weekend

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 07, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »
There is a poster on this board who's wife is the crap as a yoga teacher and for the flow class is usually bumping some sweet ass tunes and even had a DJamer come last weekend

yes, stud yoga vacations as well

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 07, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »
Honestly a DJamer in yoga kind of sounds annoying. But different strokes for different folks, ya know?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 07, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »

oh well, live and learn

No, I was actually soliciting serious responses and thanks to few other posters I received them. I only see one person being a prick here.

Based on your condition, yoga would probably be better for you than anything else mentioned. It's low impact, and a well designed workout would gradually warm you up before going into any deep stretches, would stretch the hamstring and surrounding muscles in several different ways, both in terms of how active the stretch is and which muscles are stretched, and would have counter-stretches to strengthen the hamstring at the same time.

Of course, it's not exactly "manly", so you'd probably be better off just waking up, doing some deadlifts (as heavy as possible), slamming a glass of raw eggs, and heading to the office.

I really thought you were being a smartass. I wouldn't mind yoga, but I don't have the time for classes with my work schedule. I was simply following the advice of my doc which was to work on strengthening my calves, quads, and hammies. I know how to take care of everything but hammies at home with the equipment I have.

The minor pain that I have is at the front of my knee around my knee cap for the person who asked.

Bro, do you even squat? May sound counterintuitive with knee pain, but i've found knee issues to be reduced substantially with regular squat workouts.
:adios:

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 07, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »

oh well, live and learn

Bro, do you even squat? May sound counterintuitive with knee pain, but i've found knee issues to be reduced substantially with regular squat workouts.

That is one of the exercises that I have in my plan.  I wanted to get to the doc first to make sure that there wasn't something structurally screwed in my knee.  It's stable and X-rays look good so its time to proceed with the strength training.
@mikec2w

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 07, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
Honestly a DJamer in yoga kind of sounds annoying. But different strokes for different folks, ya know?

My wife goes to a live band Pilates class once a week.  The band is a light folk band and the class is extremely popular/packed those nights.

I agree though, seems weird.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 07, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »

oh well, live and learn

Same.  I avoided squats like the plague for a long time(knee surgeries and other ligament issues in past) but my trainer got me back in it about 1.5 yrs ago and my knees feel legit for the first time in like a decade. 

Also, there are several squat/lunge workouts that you can do that don't have to have a heavy load on the bar for and many actually give you a very good cardio workout as well as the weight work. 

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 07, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »
I will be doing things at home with dumbells so heavy weight right now is not an option anyway.  I also plan on mixing in some biking as well.
@mikec2w

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »
I will be doing things at home with dumbells so heavy weight right now is not an option anyway.  I also plan on mixing in some biking as well.

Do squats at home with dumbells or body weight. 

You could do reverse lunges or RDL's with one leg and one dumbell in one hand at a time.  It really makes you engage other support muscles as well as your core.  Really helps tighten up the joints as well.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »
Thanks guys...
@mikec2w

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
Since doing yoga, I block more shots, because I can stretch and extend farther.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 31, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »
start with that sd! they will show you how to use blocks and other things when you aren't flexible enough for a pose.

hot vinyasa is for ballers do no start with that

Can confirm.  I used to think yoga was for pussies until I tried it.  It kicked my ass in a good way.  One of the most excellent full body workouts out there. 

Did you ever give it a shot SD?
@lopakman

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 31, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »
Did you ever give it a shot SD?

NOT YET!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 31, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 03, 2013, 04:39:26 AM »
rusty and yla, if i go do yoga will i find a girlfriend like really fast or does it take a few classes?
I've found taking a girl on a date to yoga is very accommodating.. (You should probably go for a while before you do this)

I did a yoga/pilates/something else combo class with my wife cause she was shy to go by herself. I was the only dude in the class and the instructor had to keep making awkward "here's an alternative pose if you don't want to sit on your balls" remarks.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 03, 2013, 06:38:07 AM »
lol

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 03, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »
Started working out in the morning, as of today, rather than the evenings.  Oh man, this transition may kill me.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 03, 2013, 05:47:26 PM »
Ran three miles this after noon the weather was amazing