Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 327355 times)

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #550 on: May 06, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
Fitness gurus...what is an exercise I can do at home to strengthen my hamstrings?  I have a set of dumbells up to 50 lbs at my disposal.  Also, what is the best technique to stretch them?

TIA.
Fitness gurus...what is an exercise I can do at home to strengthen my hamstrings?  I have a set of dumbells up to 50 lbs at my disposal.  Also, what is the best technique to stretch them?

TIA.

Straight leg dead lifts. Stand with your knees slightly flexed, holding your dumbells in front of you bend over until they touch the ground, then stand back up, repeat.

Thx 33....will try tonight.
@mikec2w

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 06, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
cats2win, I also have terrible hamstrings.. stretch. a lot. but only when you are warmed up

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 06, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »
Turned my ankle in basketball today. It had been a long time since I'd had that happen. :frown:

Do you wear ankle braces?  I bought really good ones and wore them for a few months.  Now I am always in a hurry and never take the time to put them on before playing.  But my ankles are pretty bad and I should be wearing them every time I play. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
Turned my ankle in basketball today. It had been a long time since I'd had that happen. :frown:

Do you wear ankle braces?  I bought really good ones and wore them for a few months.  Now I am always in a hurry and never take the time to put them on before playing.  But my ankles are pretty bad and I should be wearing them every time I play. 

no, never have. I think I'll be fine. Just annoyed.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 06, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »
cats2win, I would suggest getting a resistance band and doing good mornings with it. It feels weird at first, but you'll put it around the back of your neck and under each of your feet so it makes a triangle, then bend over slowly and back up with it while keeping your legs straight.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 06, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »
Dd 12 laps of sprinting straight always and walking curves this evening. Hurts so good, you guys.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 06, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
Did two miles on the trail.   120 pushups three grips.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 06, 2013, 08:24:16 PM »
Dd 12 laps of sprinting straight always and walking curves this evening. Hurts so good, you guys.

Yes yes yes!  Also you can mix in pushups.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 06, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »
cats2win, I would suggest getting a resistance band and doing good mornings with it. It feels weird at first, but you'll put it around the back of your neck and under each of your feet so it makes a triangle, then bend over slowly and back up with it while keeping your legs straight.

Thanks guys...trying to get rid of some knee pain by strengthening my hams, quads, and calves.  If that doesn't work may have to resort to surgery....ughhhh.
@mikec2w

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 06, 2013, 10:42:14 PM »
cats2win, look up Dick Hartzell. He has a bunch of information on stretching with bands, as well as exercising with them.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 06, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »
cats2win, look up Dick Hartzell. He has a bunch of information on stretching with bands, as well as exercising with them.

Will do...I really am not interested in surgery.  No weakness in my knee...just pain when I put my foot at a weird angle like stepping on a stick when walking.  Hopefully strengthening of muscles will fix the problem.  Desk work seems to be taking a toll on me.
@mikec2w

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #561 on: May 06, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »

Will do...I really am not interested in surgery.  No weakness in my knee...just pain when I put my foot at a weird angle like stepping on a stick when walking.  Hopefully strengthening of muscles will fix the problem.  Desk work seems to be taking a toll on me.

you're the guy that always asks for advice and then is a prick to people giving you advice, right?

oh well, live and learn

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Fitness Questions!
« Reply #562 on: May 07, 2013, 01:36:07 AM »

you're the guy that always asks for advice and then is a prick to people giving you advice, right?

oh well, live and learn

No, I was actually soliciting serious responses and thanks to few other posters I received them. I only see one person being a prick here. 
@mikec2w

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 07, 2013, 05:27:26 AM »
Cats2win you might want to find a physical therapist or at least a kinesiology major for some better advice.  A lot of the exercises listed are okay for general strength but you might need something more specific for strengthening a sympathetic muscle group.  For instance, with my knee issues general strength of my quadriceps wasn't the issue, but rather working on the interior portion of the muscle group to keep the quad from pulling my knee to the outside.
Where are you getting your knee pain?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 07, 2013, 08:45:44 AM »

oh well, live and learn

No, I was actually soliciting serious responses and thanks to few other posters I received them. I only see one person being a prick here.

Based on your condition, yoga would probably be better for you than anything else mentioned. It's low impact, and a well designed workout would gradually warm you up before going into any deep stretches, would stretch the hamstring and surrounding muscles in several different ways, both in terms of how active the stretch is and which muscles are stretched, and would have counter-stretches to strengthen the hamstring at the same time.

On top of that, you would probably be more relaxed at the office.

Of course, it's not exactly "manly", so you'd probably be better off just waking up, doing some deadlifts (as heavy as possible), slamming a glass of raw eggs, and heading to the office.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 07, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »
if i go do yoga im going to stare at every woman wearing yoga pants.

...i just cant be that guy.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 07, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »
i have no doubt that yoga would benefit me greatly, but nope.

yer a man's man! wham!

i think i got turned off by the p90x yoga which is an hour and a half long

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17:25 AM »
rusty, do you have to be flexible to start doing yoga? I would like to try but don't want to make a fool of myself. should I start doing some of the positions at home before going to a class at the gym?

Lynn C. has a Hot Yoga class at 6:45 this evening  :fatty:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 07, 2013, 09:18:51 AM »
sd I will mail you my copy of p90x yoga if you want it, no strings.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 07, 2013, 09:19:27 AM »
sd I will mail you my copy of p90x yoga if you want it, no strings.

thanks for the offer, I will just pirate it

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20:09 AM »
friday at 5:45 Yoga Basics with Rachel B.!  :dance:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »
We also have Hot Vinyasa Yoga, Vinyasa Flow Yoga, Hatha Yoga and Yin/Restorative Yoga. Which do you do Rus?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 07, 2013, 09:21:29 AM »
start with that sd! they will show you how to use blocks and other things when you aren't flexible enough for a pose.

hot vinyasa is for ballers do no start with that

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 07, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »
rusty, do you have to be flexible to start doing yoga? I would like to try but don't want to make a fool of myself. should I start doing some of the positions at home before going to a class at the gym?

You don't have to be flexible. I would just go to a class and make a fool of yourself. Instructors help a ton with subtle technique and creating a balanced workout. The class probably has straps and blocks to help get into poses that your flexibility makes difficult. Tell the teacher you're new and they'll probably very accommodating. And it may be different in Sarpy county, but someone your age with an athletic history probably wouldn't look like a fool in a class. All types of people take yoga.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
rusty and yla, if i go do yoga will i find a girlfriend like really fast or does it take a few classes?