Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 327201 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #3725 on: October 08, 2021, 11:37:10 AM »
I'm trying out new CrossFit gyms in Brooklyn and I'm realizing I had a pretty amazing gym in Oakland. People are nice I guess but every class is almost completely full but with different folks every time and hardly anyone talks and some of the gyms pay for their workouts that often make no sense for their space. The place I was at in Oakland also prescribed tiered weights for all levels which was really helpful for gauging where I should be lifting.

Also there's lots of dang double metcons and I really like the strength side.
Yeah a good box/gym can make all the difference. Any other close ones to you? Definitely worth trial running a few

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: October 08, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »
I'm trying out new CrossFit gyms in Brooklyn and I'm realizing I had a pretty amazing gym in Oakland. People are nice I guess but every class is almost completely full but with different folks every time and hardly anyone talks and some of the gyms pay for their workouts that often make no sense for their space. The place I was at in Oakland also prescribed tiered weights for all levels which was really helpful for gauging where I should be lifting.

Also there's lots of dang double metcons and I really like the strength side.
Yeah a good box/gym can make all the difference. Any other close ones to you? Definitely worth trial running a few
I am working with the one closest to me which is about a 15 minute walk. There's one about 20 minutes away and another about 30 minutes away that I could try. Those would suck walking to in the winter though. It's also another 30 minutes of my day or a bike ride to make it shorter.

Going to stick with the closest one for a couple months and see if it gets better.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: October 08, 2021, 12:11:09 PM »
I've lost 40 pounds over the past 3 years. Down to 200. I run/walk about 5 miles Monday-Friday and do sit ups and crap. I'm gonna be ready for the beach next month. I'm scared everyone is going to try and have sex with me now. #YOLO

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: October 08, 2021, 12:45:22 PM »
I've lost 40 pounds over the past 3 years. Down to 200. I run/walk about 5 miles Monday-Friday and do sit ups and crap. I'm gonna be ready for the beach next month. I'm scared everyone is going to try and have sex with me now. #YOLO
That’s awesome. ‘Grats

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: October 08, 2021, 12:54:21 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: Thanks, bud!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: October 08, 2021, 01:01:00 PM »
I'm scared everyone is going to try and have sex with me now. #YOLO

You're EMAW, that's just a day in the life of, mate

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: October 08, 2021, 01:01:46 PM »
 :cheers: It’s true!!!

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: December 10, 2021, 02:05:08 PM »
I've just been killing it lately. I've been feeling really good physically and have been def taking advantage of it. Joined a gym too since I've been so motivated.  :emawkid:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: December 10, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »
I completely messed up my shoulder doing heavy front squats. like how? why? signs of getting old thread?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: December 10, 2021, 02:23:46 PM »
I completely messed up my shoulder doing heavy front squats. like how? why? signs of getting old thread?

as someone older I used to get a strain/twinge in my upper lat on one side during front squats. I can see how it could jack up a shoulder.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: December 10, 2021, 04:12:07 PM »
I’m getting a peloton tomorrow, how many peloton folk we have ITT?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: December 10, 2021, 04:58:42 PM »
I’m getting a peloton tomorrow, how many peloton folk we have ITT?
KK has one

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: December 10, 2021, 05:07:39 PM »
@KatKid give me the pro tips on peloton ownership please sir

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: December 14, 2021, 12:01:45 PM »
First off, I know that a lot of the marketing features the live rides, but I have only done one 1 time in my life. Almost all of the catalogue is on there and it just isn’t worth trying to match my schedule around a class, just find one you want to to take by searching.

Make sure you order clip in shoes if you haven’t already.  I am an idiot but figured out how to set them up.

I really recommend trying out a few different trainers and finding people you will like. Each trainer is pretty different and some of them are consistently more challenging than others, some put a bigger focus on form, others focus on encouragement or vibes, others focus on music. 

I think warm up and cool down rides are really important to do and stretching is important as well.

I really like the nature rides where it is a set distance, I ride hard enough to get a good workout and the camera is dynamic so it goes faster when you do.

There are a ton of classes that aren’t bike like yoga, weightlifting and now boxing. I should probably just screencast from my phone on to my tv and do some weight classes but if you want to just use the bike make sure there is enough room behind the screen to allow you some room to operate.

The HIIT Hills and Arms rides are killers and also make me mad because my stupid Apple Watch doesn’t think I am working hard during the arms sections (even though I keep pedaling).

They send you t-shirt after 100 rides. 

Any other questions?

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: December 14, 2021, 12:13:36 PM »
First off, I know that a lot of the marketing features the live rides, but I have only done one 1 time in my life. Almost all of the catalogue is on there and it just isn’t worth trying to match my schedule around a class, just find one you want to to take by searching.

Make sure you order clip in shoes if you haven’t already.  I am an idiot but figured out how to set them up.

I really recommend trying out a few different trainers and finding people you will like. Each trainer is pretty different and some of them are consistently more challenging than others, some put a bigger focus on form, others focus on encouragement or vibes, others focus on music. 

I think warm up and cool down rides are really important to do and stretching is important as well.

I really like the nature rides where it is a set distance, I ride hard enough to get a good workout and the camera is dynamic so it goes faster when you do.

There are a ton of classes that aren’t bike like yoga, weightlifting and now boxing. I should probably just screencast from my phone on to my tv and do some weight classes but if you want to just use the bike make sure there is enough room behind the screen to allow you some room to operate.

The HIIT Hills and Arms rides are killers and also make me mad because my stupid Apple Watch doesn’t think I am working hard during the arms sections (even though I keep pedaling).

Any other questions?

Good tips! I just hit my 100th ride last night!  Also Jess King :drool:  and her Timbaland\Swizz Beatz Versuz ride are fantastic!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: December 14, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »

Any other questions?

Thanks this a great write up. I felt like an idiot the first time I clipped into the pedals with the shoes and then couldn’t clip out haha.  Matt Wilpers has been my go to trainer, I’m a fan of the power zone on demand classes, I agree joining a live class has little appeal to me.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: December 14, 2021, 12:28:28 PM »

Any other questions?

Thanks this a great write up. I felt like an idiot the first time I clipped into the pedals with the shoes and then couldn’t clip out haha.  Matt Wilpers has been my go to trainer, I’m a fan of the power zone on demand classes, I agree joining a live class has little appeal to me.

Agree. Matt is great for beginner rides too as he explains things really well. You can mostly just hop on and ride, but he gives out good tips on basic items that help. I am looking forward to the boxing and hope they add to it. I was thinking about doing a separate boxing thing, but will now wait and hope they expand it in Peloton.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: December 14, 2021, 01:32:13 PM »
I have liked the on demand rides because it is fun to compete against people that are there.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: December 14, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
I have liked the on demand rides because it is fun to compete against people that are there.

That’s the secret sauce to peloton imo.  Competition and accountability to the people who follow your profile.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: December 14, 2021, 02:11:05 PM »

I am over 2 years on and I have done I think 2 live rides. One to try it out in the beginning and then one that was the length and music that I wanted that happened to be starting in 30 seconds so I clicked it. I have no desire to schedule around my crap to ride with people that just want to hear their names called. I did some of those "sessions" rides when they first came out, but discovered I didn't give a crap about those either. Its length and music for me for the most part. I also avoid a couple of instructors because they talk 99% of the ride and that drives me crazy too. I don't mind some instruction/motivation but there are a couple instructors that I don't know why they even play music.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: December 14, 2021, 03:25:17 PM »
My favorite is Olivia

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: December 14, 2021, 03:46:22 PM »
Today will be 10 days in a row that I've closed all 3 of my apple watch rings.  :emawkid: :emawkid: :emawkid:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: December 14, 2021, 04:10:16 PM »
My favorite is Olivia

I only do rock rides so mine are limited. I like the Euro instructors best. I do a Dennis ride if I just want a basic easier ride and Emma if I want something a bit harder. Its mostly playlist based for me, minus the talky talky instructors. That is one of my favorite things about the programs. If I can find a decent playlist, I can get pretty lost in it and the ride is over before I realize it. My only complaint is the lack of variety in the rock rides. If someone announced a new 90's or 2000's rock ride tomorrow, I guarantee I could name at least half the songs they were going to use before looking at it. I wish they would go a bit deeper, but sort of get why they don't.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: December 14, 2021, 04:54:13 PM »
You guys are going to talk me into buying a Peloton, goddamnit.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: December 14, 2021, 07:07:22 PM »
My favorite is Olivia

I only do rock rides so mine are limited. I like the Euro instructors best. I do a Dennis ride if I just want a basic easier ride and Emma if I want something a bit harder. Its mostly playlist based for me, minus the talky talky instructors. That is one of my favorite things about the programs. If I can find a decent playlist, I can get pretty lost in it and the ride is over before I realize it. My only complaint is the lack of variety in the rock rides. If someone announced a new 90's or 2000's rock ride tomorrow, I guarantee I could name at least half the songs they were going to use before looking at it. I wish they would go a bit deeper, but sort of get why they don't.
If I had to guess licensing fees on songs.