Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 327622 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #2550 on: April 28, 2016, 06:14:26 PM »
CNS what are your staple meals?  I'm a little worried about variety.

I have quite a few.  I have taken a bunch of my old ones and just put them with salad instead of rice, or something like that.

Breakfast this week:
Diced red jalepeno, red pepper, ham, and green onion.  Scrambled into a couple eggs.  I separate three egg yokes from the whites, cook the yokes in 1tbsp butter, then drizzle the yoke and butter over the eggs, then put a slab of havarti over it all and wait a few minutes until it melts.  Sometimes I top that with hollandaise.  It is probably top 5 breakfast I have had. 

My lunches are almost always a huge salad.  I pack them in the mornings.  Saute 2 cups kale in 1tbsp butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil.  Just break it down until it is a little soft.  I put that on top of about 1/5 c raw spinach and 1.5c romaine.  Sea salt and ground pepper.  Stalk of celery chopped up.  Top with 2tbsp good olive oil.  Lately I have been buying a really creamy artichoke/parm/spinach dip and smearing it on top.  Some diced grilled chicken/pork/or steak(whatever is left over).  Sometimes I hold back the dip and use hollandaise or something like that.  It is really freaking good.  Today I used Mascopone cheese in place of dip with a little left over beef gravy from the beef bouguignon I cooked this weekend. 

I never leave time to pack a good lunch in the morning. Today I had PB&J on a hot dog bun.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: April 28, 2016, 06:40:50 PM »
Is that < 50 grams of carbohydrate?
Are you asking about the stuff I listed?  If so, yeah.  I usually hit right around high 40s to low 50s.  Sometimes as low as mid thirties.  I keep my sugars below 15 or so.  Usually hit btwn 9-12.  None is added.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: April 28, 2016, 08:29:27 PM »
CNS you should research grain fed vs grass fed meats, omega-3 vs omega-6 fatty acid contents.  Heard that same girl on another podcast (girl from Heather's Choice) and she basically says the grain fed meats have high omega-6 which serve to stiffen, inflame, make sore your joints, whereas the omega-3 does the opposite.  I have no idea if she's full of it or not. You should research and report back.
So I happened to start a book that touches on this last night.  Reading more tonight tells me I was wrong about time cows are corn fed as well as not looking into this more. Not worried about the O6 still, but other deets have me ready to go down this rabbit hole.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: April 28, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »
Do share.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: April 28, 2016, 08:55:21 PM »
It's pretty in depth so far, but only about 100 pages in.   Michael Pollan's  The Omnivor's Dilemma.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: April 29, 2016, 09:00:23 AM »
Ha, I was just thinking about starting that one.  If you're into being recommended a podcast and then not listening to it, you should totally not listen to this one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hunt-talk-radio-randy-newberg/id1012713381?mt=2#

Host talks with Hank Shaw (Hunter Angler Gardner Cook guy) and JR Young.  Focus is food, our connection with food, foraging, gleaning, etc.  Pretty interesting.  That Hank Shaw has his own podcast which I bet you would enjoy if you didn't listen to it either.  Interesting dude. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: April 29, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »
holy crap guys. i started keto this week!
we're doing it peter!  I think I've lost about 3 or 4 pounds of water weight.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: April 29, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
Ha, I was just thinking about starting that one.  If you're into being recommended a podcast and then not listening to it, you should totally not listen to this one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hunt-talk-radio-randy-newberg/id1012713381?mt=2#

Host talks with Hank Shaw (Hunter Angler Gardner Cook guy) and JR Young.  Focus is food, our connection with food, foraging, gleaning, etc.  Pretty interesting.  That Hank Shaw has his own podcast which I bet you would enjoy if you didn't listen to it either.  Interesting dude.

I will check that out.  Thanks.  I have actually been listening to Rogen more lately. He has had a lot of keto type convos in the last 3-4 months.  Gives me good starting points to find more info on this.  I have listened to a crap load of hours of podcasts on this sort of thing in the last 3-4 weeks.  Tim Ferris has had several doctors on, FoundMyFitness is pretty good and somewhat related(also a doctor), Dom D'Augustino is on a bunch of podcasts and is super interesting.  He is the one who is very actively researching a bunch of keto related stuff and has been for like 12  yrs now.  Also Peter Attia has a pretty cool blog about his personal use of keto as a oncologist.  Attia is also interviewed on several podcasts with lots of very interesting performance, anti cancer, and other major health detail.

What is really cool is that most of those never really centered on weight loss.  They discussed it as a means to prevent cancer, dimentia, alzheimer, and a bunch of other stuff.  Weight loss was always treated as a beneficial side effect.  I keep feeling like I need to wait for the other shoe to drop.  The more I look into it, the more keto seems too good to be true.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: April 29, 2016, 09:10:03 AM »
Personal question, are you (or were you) like a pretty big dude, overweight or whatever?  In my head I've got you as like a tall lanky type.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: April 29, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »
JFC, just eat in moderation and you don't have to do all that crazy crap.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: April 29, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »
Personal question, are you (or were you) like a pretty big dude, overweight or whatever?  In my head I've got you as like a tall lanky type.

CNS is like a giant beast man

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: April 29, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »
It's a hobby for some people. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: April 29, 2016, 09:18:27 AM »

Ok I just subbed in Marcus Luttrell for my personal avatar of CNS.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: April 29, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
CNS what are your staple meals?  I'm a little worried about variety.

I have quite a few.  I have taken a bunch of my old ones and just put them with salad instead of rice, or something like that.

Breakfast this week:
Diced red jalepeno, red pepper, ham, and green onion.  Scrambled into a couple eggs.  I separate three egg yokes from the whites, cook the yokes in 1tbsp butter, then drizzle the yoke and butter over the eggs, then put a slab of havarti over it all and wait a few minutes until it melts.  Sometimes I top that with hollandaise.  It is probably top 5 breakfast I have had. 

My lunches are almost always a huge salad.  I pack them in the mornings.  Saute 2 cups kale in 1tbsp butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil.  Just break it down until it is a little soft.  I put that on top of about 1/5 c raw spinach and 1.5c romaine.  Sea salt and ground pepper.  Stalk of celery chopped up.  Top with 2tbsp good olive oil.  Lately I have been buying a really creamy artichoke/parm/spinach dip and smearing it on top.  Some diced grilled chicken/pork/or steak(whatever is left over).  Sometimes I hold back the dip and use hollandaise or something like that.  It is really freaking good.  Today I used Mascopone cheese in place of dip with a little left over beef gravy from the beef bouguignon I cooked this weekend. 

I never leave time to pack a good lunch in the morning. Today I had PB&J on a hot dog bun.

same. I have zero time for this stuff. I eat one of these every single day for lunch.

fitcats, is this a good or bad thing to eat for lunch? if bad tell me which bar type item is best. tia.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: April 29, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »

Ok I just subbed in Marcus Luttrell for my personal avatar of CNS.

I have no idea who that is but a quick google image search says you nailed it

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: April 29, 2016, 09:20:04 AM »

There is a lot of newish science on this not being true.  I mean, I heard a podcast yesterday discussing a study where they took three groups of adult men, one group had a common high carb diet, one a high protein diet, and one a high fat diet.  All three categories were fed 2000 cal/day.  I don't recall how long the study lasted, but the carb ppl actually gained weight, the protein group lost a moderate amt, and the fat diet folks lost something like 4 times as much as the protein ppl. 

Cal in/cal out may not be reality. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: April 29, 2016, 09:22:08 AM »
Generics/hormones plays a part too.

There are exceptions but for average Joe emaw this is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: April 29, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »

It's not crazy crap, it's just paying attention.  Even if you eat like caca you still have to eat, plan to eat, etc.  This is just paying a little more attention.

I want my body to be in the best shape it can when I'm 50, 60, 70 years old.  And I believe what I do today has some bearing on that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: April 29, 2016, 09:23:38 AM »

There is a lot of newish science on this not being true.  I mean, I heard a podcast yesterday discussing a study where they took three groups of adult men, one group had a common high carb diet, one a high protein diet, and one a high fat diet.  All three categories were fed 2000 cal/day.  I don't recall how long the study lasted, but the carb ppl actually gained weight, the protein group lost a moderate amt, and the fat diet folks lost something like 4 times as much as the protein ppl. 

Cal in/cal out may not be reality.

one time my email got hacked and sent this email about weight loss supplements to everyone and fatty responded with something like, "didn't you read my diet thread? calories in calories out!"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: April 29, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »
there's also a lot of new science that says drinking fairly heavily and combining that with drinking a lot of coffee is good for you. science is coming around to my lifestyle.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: April 29, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
there's also a lot of new science that says drinking fairly heavily and combining that with drinking a lot of coffee is good for you. science is coming around to my lifestyle.

This is pretty good news!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: April 29, 2016, 09:31:16 AM »
sd I was recently doing some studying and some ppl are saying if you pack like 2 oz of vodka (or whatever) booze per day and drink before you go to bed then you sleep warmer and can therefore get away with a lighter (higher temp rating) sleeping bag.  Science is coming around!!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: April 29, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
It's a hobby for some people.

This makes the most sense

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: April 29, 2016, 09:51:25 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/. What a boss

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: April 29, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »
i'm making fat head pizza tonight, which is apparently BITB for low carb. sauce will be pesto with mozzarella, goat cheese, and italian sausage.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/06/30/weekend-bonus-the-older-brothers-oldest-sons-faux-carb-pizza/