Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 327854 times)

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Swolieville
« Reply #1250 on: April 22, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
So what are some good stretches/exercises to rehab a hip?  I was playing basketball a few days ago and blocked a shot at the top of the square and when I came down I tweaked my hip. It's been bugging me ever since and I went up for a dunk today and barely made it, so it's affecting me quite a bit. TIA.

I like to rock back in forth in a low squat position. That's pretty much the only leg stretch I ever do.

The Big Train

« Reply #1251 on: April 22, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »
Guys, I'm really afraid that I am headed toward shoulder surgery.  Have a dr appt. on the 29th.  :ohno:

Surgeries are just the worst  :frown:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 23, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
At what point do you guys start wearing weight belt for dead lifts and squats? I've read mixed reviews on whether or not to wear them.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 23, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »

At what point do you guys start wearing weight belt for dead lifts and squats? I've read mixed reviews on whether or not to wear them.
I wear it whenever it gets heavy enough for me to feel uncomfortable. Lower back is really nothing to eff around with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 23, 2014, 09:00:31 AM »
I don't wear belts and haven't since early college.  I read several things back then that basically said belts are worthless because they don't limit motion enough and a very large percentage of ppl don't wear them correctly.  I am not an expert, but the only time since I have hurt anything doing deadlift or squats was tweaking a nerve in my back, not messing up any back muscles.  :dunno:

Focus on your form and hit lighter weights with higher reps for a while until your form is unquestionably good.  Then start moving up in weight. 

Also, some stuff I read a couple weeks ago said that shoes are super important.  Many ppl wear running shoes or basketball shoes.  The article said that a thickened sole is a pretty bad thing.  It makes you over reach on your down side and also slants your body weight forward, both evidently put you at a higher risk of messing up your back or legs.  It said to get lift shoes or DL barefoot.    I use running shoes because I am not going to go barefoot or take multiple shoes to the Y with me, but I don't do crazy weight.   I do higher reps as a component of a greater complex. 

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 23, 2014, 09:10:31 AM »
 :thumbs: to both of you.

My lower back muscles usually hurt like a SOB after deadlift, but it usually goes away after about 10 minutes and nothing lingers.

I've read the same thing about shoes. A lot of people at my gym wear Chucks or something flat. But I'm with you about not wanting to bring multiple pairs of shoes to the gym. I've considered going barefoot, but not sure how well that would be received by others or how much I'd risk catching something from the gross floor  :Yuck:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 23, 2014, 09:13:58 AM »
I took yesterday off, but I still ate really good. 4 peanut butter scoops, chicken and rice for lunch, protein bar for the 3rd meal and a turkey burger and two sunny side eggs up for dinner. :lick:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 23, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »
You may be lifting too much with your lower back and not enough with your hips/glutes.  Also, I am not an expert.  Yoga probably has a better handle on this than I do.

The Big Train

« Reply #1258 on: April 23, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »
I usually always do lower weight higher reps, good form is going to get you better results than bad form heavy weight. Example being swinging arm/body curl guy, there is a reason he isn't gaining muscle.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 23, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »
I've pretty much stop wearing my belt unless I'm working up to 90% or more of my max. Adequate mobility and proper form will minimize your risk of injury. Just take your shoes off and deadlift in your socks for the set, then put them back on. It's not that hard.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 23, 2014, 10:19:26 AM »

Just take your shoes off and deadlift in your socks for the set, then put them back on. It's not that hard.
yeah don't do this if you are on a platform. Also if you want to run faster, jump higher and look sexier you will join Benny the jet and myself and get some PFflyers. Not sure why you guys are all worried about what the people at the gym think :dunno:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 23, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »

I don't but most people do.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 23, 2014, 10:52:40 AM »
I don't wear belts and haven't since early college.  I read several things back then that basically said belts are worthless because they don't limit motion enough and a very large percentage of ppl don't wear them correctly.  I am not an expert, but the only time since I have hurt anything doing deadlift or squats was tweaking a nerve in my back, not messing up any back muscles.  :dunno:

Focus on your form and hit lighter weights with higher reps for a while until your form is unquestionably good.  Then start moving up in weight. 

Also, some stuff I read a couple weeks ago said that shoes are super important.  Many ppl wear running shoes or basketball shoes.  The article said that a thickened sole is a pretty bad thing.  It makes you over reach on your down side and also slants your body weight forward, both evidently put you at a higher risk of messing up your back or legs.  It said to get lift shoes or DL barefoot.    I use running shoes because I am not going to go barefoot or take multiple shoes to the Y with me, but I don't do crazy weight.   I do higher reps as a component of a greater complex. 

Yeah I posted the greatest lifting shoes earlier in this thread. My gym is nicer than I'm used to and has a rule against taking your shoes off I guess to keep smelly douchbags from smelling the place up. Kinda sucks though because like metalhead said, if you can deadlift in socks or barefoot it's the best.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 23, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »
Also, people who know a lot more about lifting and are a lot stronger than me still wear belts. I'm not trying to break world records though and like to get a core workout everyday so I don't.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 23, 2014, 10:55:23 AM »
I'll try deadlifting in socks next time. I usually do this towards the beginning of my workout so hopefully my feet aren't too smelly. And if they are... :don'tcare:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 23, 2014, 11:04:03 AM »

Just take your shoes off and deadlift in your socks for the set, then put them back on. It's not that hard.
yeah don't do this if you are on a platform. Also if you want to run faster, jump higher and look sexier you will join Benny the jet and myself and get some PFflyers. Not sure why you guys are all worried about what the people at the gym think :dunno:

I've never seen anyone lose their footing on a platform while wearing socks.

I deadlift in low-top chucks. Squat, Bench and Overhead Press in Olympic lifting shoes. I've had mine for close to five years now.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 23, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
I squat, dead lift, and power clean in socks. One time I forgot and started my dead lift work out in shoes and I was having trouble with what should have been pretty easy weight. Took off my shoes and things were back to normal.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 23, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »
I squat, dead lift, and power clean in socks. One time I forgot and started my dead lift work out in shoes and I was having trouble with what should have been pretty easy weight. Took off my shoes and things were back to normal.

It's safe to say that the dress code at your gym is very "relaxed".

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1268 on: April 23, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »

What's the objection to lifting in socks?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 23, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »

What's the objection to lifting in socks?

None from people who live in swolieville. Lots of gyms, and not just crap gyms like planetfitness, don't let you rock the socks though.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 23, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »

I deadlift in low-top chucks. Squat, Bench and Overhead Press in Olympic lifting shoes. I've had mine for close to five years now.
whew good thing you wear oly shoes for bench press

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »

whew good thing you wear oly shoes for bench press

gotta get that arch.

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 23, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
Guys, I started doing cross fit a little more than a month ago and I have been getting really strong.  Like 85% of my ten years ago selfs max strength and noticeably more muscular.

However, I want more results. I'm thinking about using some supplements pre and post work out, as well as some sort protein. I have no idea where to start looking though.  I've never used anything, is it even worth the money?

I'm trying to lose weight while not sacrificing all of my muscle.  Any recommendations from goewam pros?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 23, 2014, 02:16:17 PM »
From what I understand, amino acids are better for if you are trying to lose weight. Protein is more for bulking up.

The Big Train

« Reply #1274 on: April 23, 2014, 02:18:18 PM »
Talk to Anthony Bosch