Author Topic: felix rex moves to Cairo  (Read 257589 times)

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
Re: felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 10:39:37 AM »
If your are going to be there a while, I would invest in a slingbox and a dedicated Directv DVR at a friend or family members house
That sounds like solid advice.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »
Bringing a car sounds intense for just 2-3 years.  Gonna have unnecessary stress dealing with traffic, crazy drivers, parking.  Just jump in a cab and go, easy peasy.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »
If your are going to be there a while, I would invest in a slingbox and a dedicated Directv DVR at a friend or family members house

Yes. Looks like my brother is getting the sports package.

Bringing a car sounds intense for just 2-3 years.  Gonna have unnecessary stress dealing with traffic, crazy drivers, parking.  Just jump in a cab and go, easy peasy.

Yeah. It sounds like you can rent a car (or just get a driver) pretty easy for road trips. If they didn't offer to ship the car over and back on their expense (and if we actually cared about the car), I wouldn't even consider it.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
Curt is in Isreal and tweets about watching all of our games.  Dscott asked him how since sometimes ESPN3 doesn't work, and he said that he "knows of another site...".  Tweet @ curt.  He could probs hook you up on where to watch the cats.

when does espn3 not work?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »

I work w/ people in Asia and they said this is kind of a pain. ESPN3 is probably way better (if you can figure it out). Of course you could watch all american shows this way.

So never mind. It's solid advice.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
Curt is in Isreal and tweets about watching all of our games.  Dscott asked him how since sometimes ESPN3 doesn't work, and he said that he "knows of another site...".  Tweet @ curt.  He could probs hook you up on where to watch the cats.

No clue.  I don't use it.  Just bearing witness to convos by Curt and dScott.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »
get your wife good in w/ the pharaoh, maybe he will allow ESPN3 to enter the country
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »

No clue.  I don't use it.  Just bearing witness to convos by Curt and dScott.

It always works for me. That's why I asked.

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
I just got back from Cairo/Alexandria 2 weeks ago. That place is an absolute madhouse and awesome in a weird/bizarro way. I knew i was in it when we're driving down the highway and a horse drawn cart comes galloping straight at us going the wrong direction. Then a truck tire blew out 50 feet in front of us 5 minutes later.

Don't ship a car over. Just buy some crappy Hyundai or something there like everyone else does. It's going to get demolished in Cairo traffic anyway.

ESPN3 doesn't work unless you use the "modify headers" trick here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/08/how-to-watch-the-daily-show-and-the-colbert-report-if-you-live-in-the-uk/

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
I just got back from Cairo/Alexandria 2 weeks ago. That place is an absolute madhouse and awesome in a weird/bizarro way. I knew i was in it when we're driving down the highway and a horse drawn cart comes galloping straight at us going the wrong direction. Then a truck tire blew out 50 feet in front of us 5 minutes later.

Don't ship a car over. Just buy some crappy Hyundai or something there like everyone else does. It's going to get demolished in Cairo traffic anyway.

ESPN3 doesn't work unless you use the "modify headers" trick here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/08/how-to-watch-the-daily-show-and-the-colbert-report-if-you-live-in-the-uk/

Thanks, Eurocat!  :excited:

(BTW, I am totally bookmarking the "where do you live thread")
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »
Also, what about phones? My bro-in-law says he has an iPhone "with a chip" or something and that lets him use it internationally (both cell phone and data or whatever). I do not think my current iPhone does that. Do I have to buy a new one? Can I just buy the chip?

He's talking about a sim card. And yes, if you are on AT&T (or if you have a 4s, regardless of carrier) then you have one. You just have pay for service and they will give you a new sim card to put in.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »
don't take anything.  if egypt gets $ euroespn3, get it.  it's just like espn3 (for american college sports) but you pay for it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
Shame topic: I have a 52" flat screen I will miss. Also have another TV of respectable size (of the non-flat variety) that works just great that I could take. So, basically, I know the answer here is probably no TV but def not big TV, but...really want big TV.

Also, sys, we are living in the "no-kids" area under an unspoken agreement that we won't have kids. Thought you'd be proud. How do you ilke that .000001% in birth rate, Egypt?

Was also told we could expense a shopping guy for groceries and stuff, since our hours will be occasionally unpredictable (don't start; I've already engaged on the semantics of only being "occasionally unpredictable). Anyway, I like food shopping, but I'll be damned if I have a shopping guy and won't use him at least once.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
I thought you were going to have a baby there. Is there a no-kids area there? really?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 10:57:05 PM »
Shame topic: I have a 52" flat screen I will miss. Also have another TV of respectable size (of the non-flat variety) that works just great that I could take. So, basically, I know the answer here is probably no TV but def not big TV, but...really want big TV.

Also, sys, we are living in the "no-kids" area under an unspoken agreement that we won't have kids. Thought you'd be proud. How do you ilke that .000001% in birth rate, Egypt?

Was also told we could expense a shopping guy for groceries and stuff, since our hours will be occasionally unpredictable (don't start; I've already engaged on the semantics of only being "occasionally unpredictable). Anyway, I like food shopping, but I'll be damned if I have a shopping guy and won't use him at least once.

pfffffffffffft

get a union.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 11:01:33 PM »
I thought you were going to have a baby there. Is there a no-kids area there? really?

Baby is not confirmed. Wife having second thoughts about having baby in Egypt (but hey, she and her 7 siblings BARELY survived a civil war in Lebanon, so I can't really play that card).

If you have a kid, you're in Maadi, which is the suburb close to the american schools. Safer, better air, etc, and much farther from all the places we want to live. It's not "official," but it is.

If we stay past two years, we'll almost certainly reconsider. Once the mid-30s start nearing, she's gonna feel some serious heat (both internal and from the fam) to crank out a FRito (<--not how I meant that to turn out).

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »

pfffffffffffft

get a union.

Would be pretty great if I was the one that rekindled nationalism in Nasr City.
Residents:  :runaway:  Police:  :chainsaw: Me:  :dunno: Is the grocery guy still available...cuz it seems like a bad time to go outside.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »

Baby is not confirmed. Wife having second thoughts about having baby in Egypt (but hey, she and her 7 siblings BARELY survived a civil war in Lebanon, so I can't really play that card).

If you have a kid, you're in Maadi, which is the suburb close to the american schools. Safer, better air, etc, and much farther from all the places we want to live. It's not "official," but it is.

If we stay past two years, we'll almost certainly reconsider. Once the mid-30s start nearing, she's gonna feel some serious heat (both internal and from the fam) to crank out a FRito (<--not how I meant that to turn out).

Not 100%, but pretty sure you will get made fun of by your kid's friends for being old.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 11:16:09 PM »

Not 100%, but pretty sure you will get made fun of by your kid's friends for being old.

Confirmed. Our "peers" in that demo have kids old enough to be grocery boys.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 12:42:22 AM »

:angry:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
User: gpcboard
Pass: gpc4life

Does this help?  :dunno:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 08:18:25 PM »
User: gpcboard
Pass: gpc4life

Does this help?  :dunno:

that's goEMAW premium info you are spilling there skinny

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »
good decision, felix.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »

Only if you are from/still live on/have never been away from a farm.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 06:05:09 AM »
Wear this to show that you are "down wit it".

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.