Author Topic: Farewell Fatty  (Read 78711 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell Fatty
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
I was Shwan's TA for chemical analysis at State. Great student, and such a lively personality. I'll always remember his first question for me - it wasn't anything about chemistry, it was "do you know who OJ Mayo is?" (this was right during the middle of GRCOAT).
lmao
 :lol:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
The Phog:
He's trolling the angels now.  RIP, fatty.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2488&t=8762214&p=1
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:43:24 PM by Stevesie60 »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »
you'll have to sit by me. 1st to pm.

I didn't have many personal interactions with fatty, but even so I felt like I knew him. I remember him as a young poster (he and others like Torguga were sort of the Winters of the early 2000s), then the videos, then the optimistic fan we've seen the last several years. I have always had an extra measure of respect for those fans that stuck with basketball and liked to post about it when being a K-State basketball fan was hard. By the time BBSing came around it was easy to be a football poster, but basketball was different. GPC had a free board for a time devoted to basketball, called the "Ahearn board", but like Altman, Asbury, and Wooly, it went away. A dozen or so of us were regulars, and when it died most migrated to other places with what I'm sure most thought was a foolish hope for the future of K-State hoops. The losses continued to mount and the disappointing season piled up, but a few of us remained, and fatty was one of those.

It was spring break, March of 2006 when much of that changed. I remember being in Bramlage and seeing him. There was an surreal excitment for fans like us, and we listened with hope as Bob Huggins was introduced that day. We talked about the anticipation of finally having some hope for basketball. It was a good day.

There were some other interactions through the years. A time or two at the westside Dillons for a quick conversation about K-State sports. The Central Florida football game when I got a call from a strange number (it ended up being fatty's) that ended up being from my wife and youngest son. They were sitting elsewhere in BSFS when the weird weather hit and were alright; somehow they ran into fatty and he let them use his phone to give me a call.

But then came that post and I thought going to a game with fatty sounded like a great time. I was not disappointed. Back and forth discussion about great moments of Wooldridge ball and the joy that the last couple years had brought. Memories of Snyder's first set of great years and the pride K-State football brought at the time. Little did I know that not only would I not ever have a chance to enjoy a game with him, but more importantly never would fatty get a chance to enjoy a game at the OOD, a place he had likely been hundreds of times.

Today I brought my 8 year old with me, and we sat in those same seats that I sat with fatty in a few months ago. A fellow goemawer told me before the game what he knew and I didn't really want to believe it. I only got confirmation after the game started. It was bittersweet watching with my son, hearing him enjoy going back and forth from his iPod to watching the game to finding his favorite player JO and remembering the game I got to watch with fatty. But I thought as I watched that fatty would've wanted me to enjoy the game and to cheer. So I did.

Fatty loved K-State, but more importantly he loved what K-State sports did for people. We talked quite a bit about our families that warm December night and even though our backgrounds were dramatically different, both of us came from families where sports (specifically K-State) brought us together in ways nothing else could. Sure, there were down times as a K-State fan, but the highs and what they did for K-Staters were special. The bowl games, the Big 12 title, Beasley and Bill beating KU, the Xavier thriller, and countless more. Only things like these could bring together people like fatty and I. Fatty had a knack for understanding this like few others fans; the things that make K-State and its fans special.

Its for this fatty will be extremely missed. Its a sad day to be EMAW, we've lost not just a good one, but one of the best.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2012, 09:51:21 PM »
I first encountered fatty on the gpc free board. He got under my skin at first, but I think we found common ground while discussing dippin dots. I think he also had socks there such as mcdonaldsscoreboardupdate. He has been an inspiration to me and he will be missed.

RIP fatty

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
 I will never forget the time he and I sat around listening to other schools' (is that right?) fight songs and critiquing them.

I always loved his pop-ins into my office and our walks around campus loudly talking/arguing about k-state sports.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2012, 09:54:54 PM »
you'll have to sit by me. 1st to pm.

I didn't have many personal interactions with fatty, but even so I felt like I knew him. I remember him as a young poster (he and others like Torguga were sort of the Winters of the early 2000s), then the videos, then the optimistic fan we've seen the last several years. I have always had an extra measure of respect for those fans that stuck with basketball and liked to post about it when being a K-State basketball fan was hard. By the time BBSing came around it was easy to be a football poster, but basketball was different. GPC had a free board for a time devoted to basketball, called the "Ahearn board", but like Altman, Asbury, and Wooly, it went away. A dozen or so of us were regulars, and when it died most migrated to other places with what I'm sure most thought was a foolish hope for the future of K-State hoops. The losses continued to mount and the disappointing season piled up, but a few of us remained, and fatty was one of those.

It was spring break, March of 2006 when much of that changed. I remember being in Bramlage and seeing him. There was an surreal excitment for fans like us, and we listened with hope as Bob Huggins was introduced that day. We talked about the anticipation of finally having some hope for basketball. It was a good day.

There were some other interactions through the years. A time or two at the westside Dillons for a quick conversation about K-State sports. The Central Florida football game when I got a call from a strange number (it ended up being fatty's) that ended up being from my wife and youngest son. They were sitting elsewhere in BSFS when the weird weather hit and were alright; somehow they ran into fatty and he let them use his phone to give me a call.

But then came that post and I thought going to a game with fatty sounded like a great time. I was not disappointed. Back and forth discussion about great moments of Wooldridge ball and the joy that the last couple years had brought. Memories of Snyder's first set of great years and the pride K-State football brought at the time. Little did I know that not only would I not ever have a chance to enjoy a game with him, but more importantly never would fatty get a chance to enjoy a game at the OOD, a place he had likely been hundreds of times.

Today I brought my 8 year old with me, and we sat in those same seats that I sat with fatty in a few months ago. A fellow goemawer told me before the game what he knew and I didn't really want to believe it. I only got confirmation after the game started. It was bittersweet watching with my son, hearing him enjoy going back and forth from his iPod to watching the game to finding his favorite player JO and remembering the game I got to watch with fatty. But I thought as I watched that fatty would've wanted me to enjoy the game and to cheer. So I did.

Fatty loved K-State, but more importantly he loved what K-State sports did for people. We talked quite a bit about our families that warm December night and even though our backgrounds were dramatically different, both of us came from families where sports (specifically K-State) brought us together in ways nothing else could. Sure, there were down times as a K-State fan, but the highs and what they did for K-Staters were special. The bowl games, the Big 12 title, Beasley and Bill beating KU, the Xavier thriller, and countless more. Only things like these could bring together people like fatty and I. Fatty had a knack for understanding this like few others fans; the things that make K-State and its fans special.

Its for this fatty will be extremely missed. Its a sad day to be EMAW, we've lost not just a good one, but one of the best.

Great story _FAN

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing, _FAN

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »
Yeah FAN, I thought I was done crying. :frown:

I'm a mess.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »
I really hope that people who know his family find some way of showing them these threads.  Hopefully the understand what he meant to the sports culture and how many people he impacted. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »
Great post, _FAN. Made me bawl.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
The Phog:
He's trolling the angels now.  RIP, fatty.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2488&t=8762214&p=1

Quote from: phog guy
WutevrDood

Re: fatty fat fat - RIP
He was a treasure and will be missed.
kinds struck me with the way being treasured is tossed around here.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2012, 10:08:43 PM »
I was Shwan's TA for chemical analysis at State. Great student, and such a lively personality. I'll always remember his first question for me - it wasn't anything about chemistry, it was "do you know who OJ Mayo is?" (this was right during the middle of GRCOAT).
lmao
 :lol:

Simply incredible, that is what made him so amazing.

Offline my troll name ... Koppe22

• Combo-Fan
  • Disgraced Banned Former Powert@rd Koppe22
    • View Profile
    • meh
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »
He's the reason I make terrible Kansas State videos.  Very sorry to hear this, RIP.
Koppe is a giant idiot bad person for sure but he's nowhere close to as big of an idiot bad person as others.To my knowledge Koppe has never bought an adult trike or talked to a dog whisperer.

Offline WILDCAT NATION

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
Reading FAN's post reminded me of a lot of good times trading barbs with Fatty.  Decided to look back and see if I had any of his emails saved, and sure enough we were talkative back in '05 and '06!  :)  A lot has changed since those days of Wooly and I've not run in the same circles or been nearly as involved in KSU sports as I was back then, but I've always followed Fatty and his videos.

FAN, it's wild to remember what he was like 10 years ago.  Unfortunately, I've not followed his posts as much in the last 5 years.  Sounds like I missed out.

Offline KSU176

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
RIP fatty. :cry:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »
It really is strange how you can not think about something for 10 years, then one picture can bring it back.  Prior to today I didn't know that Fatty was Alkathib.  Someone posted his picture and I immediately had a flashback to him walking around tennis tournaments holding his racket flat against his chest as if he was crossing his arms and making smart ass comments.  Our coach would see me talking to him and he would yell at me "God damnit, why are you over there laughing with Alkathib when you know he is going to kick your ass in about 10 minutes."  It should be noted that I haven't played HS tennis in 10 years.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
Tigerboard calling him a douche.  Just disgusting what level's they will sink to.

Meh, I don't think anyone should give a crap what they think.  That, and eff them.
SEC trader bastards.  Make snide remarks about a beloved EMAW'er before his blood has turned cold.  Heartless, just heartless!  :curse:  You know what I'm going do for Fatty... :pray:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2012, 11:09:33 PM »
Tigerboard calling him a douche.  Just disgusting what level's they will sink to.

Meh, I don't think anyone should give a crap what they think.  That, and eff them.
SEC trader bastards.  Make snide remarks about a beloved EMAW'er before his blood has turned cold.  Heartless, just heartless!  :curse:  You know what I'm going do for Fatty... :pray:

FWIW, he hated BigXII traitors.  Probably wouldn't give a crap.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2012, 11:14:01 PM »
I haven't been on this board as long as most of you and don't know any of you personally, but fatty's reputation preceded him.  His work was always talked about on other boards as if he owned the sport of bbs'n.  His posts always made me smile and brought out my EMAW.

For those of you that knew him personally, I'm truly sorry for your loss.

RIP F3   :combofan:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline hookemfatty

• Fan
    • View Profile
fatty: A fan's fan
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2012, 11:14:21 PM »
Texas fan in Wisconsin.  Mostly lurking on Horn boards since the earliest days of posting.  Rarely post anywhere because so much of the Internet is a vast wasteland.

fatty was a guy whose stuff was always appreciated.  He struck me as humble, smart, and a darned funny guy.  Even when K-State was kicking our pants in virtually everything it could, he was always a pleasure to read.  He didn't really seem to take himself seriously at all, but knew that so many others would, and so many of them fell for his posts. Most of all, he seemed like a great sport, the kind of guy who you'd want to have a beer with after the game no matter the score.

Even if you don't believe, you gotta wonder if God was letting K-State win all those games against us just to remind everybody to be more like fatty.

Texas fans occasionally flash a hook 'em as a sign of respect while injured opponents are down.  Here's one for you, fatty and family.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »
Wow, this is the first time I've been on this board today and this is the last thing I expected to see.

Fatty was my favorite poster. RIP

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
I can't believe this. I never met fatty but I felt like I knew him. He is 100% the reason I ever started making videos. I remember after posting my first few videos anxiously waiting to see if he would post his approval of them. He was my idol. I'll miss you, friend.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »
Wow, this is the first time I've been on this board today and this is the last thing I expected to see.

Fatty was my favorite poster. RIP
Tell me about it.  I was on the FB board earlier and making asinine posts, not knowing that Fatty is gone... to a better place I hope.  RIP Fatty
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2012, 12:15:35 AM »
I remember when i first found kstate message boards in high school, probably '98 or '99, (k-statefans), fatty was there then, he was already something special, everyone knew who he was.  13 years later, holy crap, i'm 28 now, i just assumed fatty was without a doubt older than me, and to find out he's not is what hurts the most.  no one deserves to die that young, especially someone this loved.  this is a tragidy.  and i know his family doesn't care about any of this, but he touched so many.  just a special guy.  sad sad day.  RIP fatty.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2012, 12:18:07 AM »
Been around the boards a long time and F3 has without a doubt made me laugh more than any other bbs'r over the years.

A true EMAW legend. RIP Fatty, you'll be missed.   :cry: