Author Topic: Angel is absolutely...  (Read 64558 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Angel is absolutely...
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:25 AM »
Angel is really good. He played poorly against KU, but he's the best we have and that's not really a bad thing.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »
Angel is really good. He played poorly against KU, but he's the best we have and that's not really a bad thing.

it's much easier for them to look at the problems with our offense and attempt to diagnose the issues and then place blame on a single individual (angel) without looking at and understanding the big picture.  it's a simple and emotional response.

angel did some good and bad things last night. 

ultimately, this team, with angel, was in a position at the end that they could have won a game last night.  things didn't go our way but there's no reason to hang the freshman because of it.   and dipshits that want to need to be put in their place.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »
idiots that can't realize that angel isn't to blame for our offense being completely broken, and instead is actually the one option frank has to help fix it.

Whose fault is this?

This didn't have to be Angel's team YET, a tough situation 3 years in the making.

Good question. This line up just isn't built to have a PG like Will, but I don't think Frank's teams in general are either. We've talked plenty about Frank's multi combo guard system, but with a primary ball handler who can get to the rim. Ultimately I suppose you have to say recruiting is to blame because it's clear that Angel is the best we have available.

This absolutely is a recruiting issue and inadequately adressing the guard position in the previous two classes is the real culprit. 

Angel will hopefully get better but the burden should not all be on his shoulders.

But, this is what happens when you address the guard position in 2009 by a recruiting class that consists of Martavious Irving and Nick Russell and in 2010 with Juevol Myles and Will Spradling and I guess Shane Southwell (who isn't a guard) and then proceed to run two of the four off.  Then in 2011 mix in a JUCO guard that sits on the bench.

We've seen this coming.

True, its not a complete surprise.

I think its more missing out than the Franking though, its not like we've Franked a lot of guys that you can say would've been able to compete with Angel. I mean the best option at PG that was run was probably Myles? Russell?

Yeah, it's more of a not being a being able to recruit a point guard problem.  

Although, had he not been Franked, I believe Nick would have given some decent minutes this year especially with Jeremy Jones' mystery injury.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »
idiots that can't realize that angel isn't to blame for our offense being completely broken, and instead is actually the one option frank has to help fix it.

Whose fault is this?

This didn't have to be Angel's team YET, a tough situation 3 years in the making.

It's the fault of Jio Fontan and Mike Rosario. :frown:

DJO played JC ball 2 hrs down the road from MHK, we didn't even bat an eye towards him, it's not the specific players we missed on, it's the actual roster needs and potential holes that need be better identified and addressed.

Not 1 above average B12 guard on this roster and it killed us last night and it's a big reason why we've run into some struggles.

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »

it's much easier for them to look at the problems with our offense and attempt to diagnose the issues and then place blame on a single individual (angel) without looking at and understanding the big picture.  it's a simple and emotional response.

angel did some good and bad things last night. 

ultimately, this team, with angel, was in a position at the end that they could have won a game last night.  things didn't go our way but there's no reason to hang the freshman because of it.   and dipshits that want to need to be put in their place.

That's why I blamed frank.  We won't be any better next year either since we didn't land a guard this year. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »
Although, had he not been Franked, I believe Nick would have given some decent minutes this year especially with Jeremy Jones' mystery injury.

Jones broke a bone in his ankle. They X-rayed it 3 times, but didn't fine it until they did an MRI. Before Texas, Frank said it would be another 7-10 days until he could play.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2012, 09:27:18 AM »
That's why I blamed frank.  We won't be any better next year either since we didn't land a guard this year. 

Fair enough, but you don't think any of our guards will get better? Blame Frank for Franking, but guys he keeps around tend to get better.

Offline EMAW SP8

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »
FWIW, I agree Tay should've played more, but instead of Southwell, not Angel. No reason for Southy's 17 minutes given what he gave us last night.

Thank you, Angel had a down night. But he was our best option.

The Straw can pass, and occasionally create, but seemed inept last night. Could have atleast given 'tay a chance during the second half  :dunno:

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »
Angel should have been benched the 2nd half. No, he doesn't suck, but he was crap last night and you gotta go with what is working, and he wasn't working. He as just tossing up volleyball serves to Whithey. Our bigs were doing good last night, JO, Gip, Jamar, and yet we kept letting Angel and Sprads take crap.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Angel is absolutely...
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2012, 09:38:34 AM »

Whose fault is this?

DJO played JC ball 2 hrs down the road from MHK, we didn't even bat an eye towards him, it's not the specific players we missed on, it's the actual roster needs and potential holes that need be better identified and addressed.

I thought we looked at DJO. I agree that Frank should have managed the guard situation better.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »
Angel should have been benched the 2nd half. No, he doesn't suck, but he was crap last night and you gotta go with what is working, and he wasn't working. He as just tossing up volleyball serves to Whithey. Our bigs were doing good last night, JO, Gip, Jamar, and yet we kept letting Angel and Sprads take crap.

He wasn't bad in the second half at all. Get over the Bob Knight pass to JO. Agree he was awful in the first half, and him sittng on the bench so much was a big part of why our first half offense was about half as efficient as the second.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:29 AM »

Whose fault is this?

Good question. This line up just isn't built to have a PG like Will, but I don't think Frank's teams in general are either. We've talked plenty about Frank's multi combo guard system, but with a primary ball handler who can get to the rim. Ultimately I suppose you have to say recruiting is to blame because it's clear that Angel is the best we have available.

This absolutely is a recruiting issue and inadequately adressing the guard position in the previous two classes is the real culprit. 

Angel will hopefully get better but the burden should not all be on his shoulders.

But, this is what happens when you address the guard position in 2009 by a recruiting class that consists of Martavious Irving and Nick Russell and in 2010 with Juevol Myles and Will Spradling and I guess Shane Southwell (who isn't a guard) and then proceed to run two of the four off.  Then in 2011 mix in a JUCO guard that sits on the bench.

We've seen this coming.

True, its not a complete surprise.

I think its more missing out than the Franking though, its not like we've Franked a lot of guys that you can say would've been able to compete with Angel. I mean the best option at PG that was run was probably Myles? Russell?

Yeah, it's more of a not being a being able to recruit a point guard problem.  

When we are starting a freshman at point guard and a senior and junior at the posts, it makes sense to address the post first. Angel will be much better next season and Spradling will only be a junior. Complain when Frank doesn't recruit a guard in 2013.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2012, 09:46:21 AM »

Whose fault is this?

I thought we looked at DJO. I agree that Frank should have managed the guard situation better.

Living in the cosmopolitan jewel of SCK known as Hutch for the last several years, I had the opportunity to watch DJO play ball here, and while by no means would I call myself a scouting expert, it was pretty evident he could play at a high level.

I paid fairly close attention to his recruitment, and while it's not impossible that KSU contacted him, I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about that. Pasted below was probably the most informative update on his recruitment, prior to his Marquette commitment.

1/22/09 update:
Because of his impressive play on the court, Johnson-Odom has emerged as one of the most heavily recruited prospects in the junior college ranks. Kansas isn't the only high-major program to stop by Hutchinson Community College this season, and they won't be the last."

"Pittsburgh has been by to see me this season," he said. "Tennessee has also been by to watch me play. Kentucky, Providence, Western Kentucky, Cincinnati, West Virginia and Virginia Tech are all interested in me. I have a real good relationship with Coach Seth Greenberg from Virginia Tech."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903464

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »

Again, if this was the option, who plays?

In the first half every time Angel had a string of mistakes, he was benched. In the 2nd half he played better. Plus, all of his turnovers were attacking, trying to make a play. Frank has said over and over the ones he hates are the careless, lackadaisical ones. Angel had very few of those, every time he did he came out and Frank was all over him. but as the game went along and Frank saw how stagnant our offense was without him, he got Angel back in the game. And besides missing shots, he was mostly working in the 2nd half.

And I can't complain about our shots. Only 28% of our shot attempts were 3s, below Frank's typical distribution of 31-32% of shot attempts coming from 3.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »
when angel out manned Thomas Robinson for the jump ball and then Thomas Robinson acted all hurt for a bit like Angel was too rough with him I smiled ear to ear.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »

Irving got what, 5 minutes last night?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2012, 10:00:06 AM »

What did you see in those 5 minutes that made you think we were going to come back and win if only Angel would have stayed on the bench?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »

Irving at PG? Or Irving at 2 with Will at PG? I don't like either.

FWIW, I would've liked to see Irving more too, but in Southwell's minutes. The 4 to 17 minute distribution between them made the least sense to me of anyone's playing time, especially since Irving played solid against KU in Lawrence.

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »
when angel out manned Thomas Robinson for the jump ball and then Thomas Robinson acted all hurt for a bit like Angel was too rough with him I smiled ear to ear.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Yes, OMG YES  :love:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
also:

Jamar Samuels: +5
Martvious Irving: +2
Angel Rodriguez: +1
Will Spradling: 0
Jordan Henriquez: -1
Victor Ojeleye: -2
Rodney McGruder: -4
Adrian Diaz: -6
Thomas Gipson: -8
Shane Southwell: -17

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
also:

Jamar Samuels: +5
Martvious Irving: +2
Angel Rodriguez: +1
Will Spradling: 0
Jordan Henriquez: -1
Victor Ojeleye: -2
Rodney McGruder: -4
Adrian Diaz: -6
Thomas Gipson: -8
Shane Southwell: -17

Jordan Henriquez-Roberts: Name too long to be counted

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »

No, he created opportunities turnover after turnover after turnover after turnover after turnover after turnover after turnover after turnover.

Fixed it for you.

We didn't have a better option.  Not sure why this is confusing.   :dunno:

eff this.  Angel is playing because he is our future, not because he played better than someone else could have.  Figure it the eff out.  he was rough ridin' horrible tonight and to defend him is ludicrous.  Frank was furious with his play, but it's growing pains.  I just wish he would rough ridin' learn from his mistakes instead of doing the same crap over and over and rough ridin' over.

This is what I think.  Frank wants a dependable pg for at least 2 years.  The marginal difference between ART and Tay or someone else isn't worth the seasoning Frank thinks his pg is getting.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2012, 10:47:44 AM »

When we are starting a freshman at point guard and a senior and junior at the posts, it makes sense to address the post first. Angel will be much better next season and Spradling will only be a junior. Complain when Frank doesn't recruit a guard in 2013.

I'm confused.  What does recruiting a PG in 2013 that have to do with not recruiting a high impact point guard in the last two classes?

Notice that the the top three teams in the Big XII all have upperclassmen at the point.  It's not a coincidence.

This isn't about Angel.  This is about recruiting failures and roster management having forced us into relying solely on a true freshman when we shouldn't be.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2012, 10:49:28 AM »
This isn't about Angel.  This is about recruiting failures and roster management having forced us into relying solely on a true freshman when we shouldn't be.

(But it's also kinda about Angel.)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12