Author Topic: Why coaching matters  (Read 17292 times)

Offline bleedpurple

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Why coaching matters
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2010, 08:14:08 PM »
Its about time someone said it! We have lost countless games because we just blow at pivoting. I wish our guys would have actually played basketball before they arrived on campus.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »
Tann, the classic 3 man weave would seem to be the ultimate drill, combining the fine art of passing (on the move no less!) with a beautifully executed lay-up.  Could you enlighten us on some of the finer points of this supreme basketball fundamental building drill?

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2010, 08:26:16 PM »

Offline bleedpurple

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
Tann, how would you punish a player if he shot a right handed lay-up while jumping off the incorrect foot?  Or what if he shoots a left handed lay-up with his right hand?  Again, TIA.
Drills, drills, drills.

Players will form four lines at one of the baselines, facing the coach at half-court. The first player in each line will start by dribbling an imaginary basketball toward the free throw line area. As they approach the free throw line, they will perform the proper footwork and shooting form to shoot an imaginary lay-up.

They will repeat this at the half-court line and opposite free throw line. Once they pass the first free throw line, the next player in their group will begin. The players should practice both right and left handed lay-ups.

To stop incorrect hand/foot placement, tape the players arm to their side.

Lol, duck tape....dude you don't have the slightest clue and should probably stop posting.

Offline bleedpurple

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »
I take that back, KEEP posting, this is hilarious

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
The shot clock and the 3 point line have absolutely killed basketball, haven't they tann?
No, the emphasis on style over substance, not calling traveling anymore, and the embracing of rap culture killed basketball.

Can you explain, in 100 words or less, how rap killed basketball?  TIA.
It emphasizes the individual, there is no band working together, just a lone person telling the world how great they are.  Its the me-first attitude that is destroying everything, not just basketball.  Its about who can get the most gold or most drugs, no matter what.  The concept of a team in the opposite of what rap teaches.

I only need three words to prove this wrong:

Wu
Tang
Clan

BOOM!

Offline yoman

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2010, 08:36:37 PM »
Photo of Tannoudji?

"Don't you dare shoot that jump shot!  Look for the extra pass and an easy lay-up!!!"
I think this yoman guy is on to something....

Offline Tannoudji

• Fan
  • Rev 14:9
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2010, 08:36:51 PM »
Tann, the classic 3 man weave would seem to be the ultimate drill, combining the fine art of passing (on the move no less!) with a beautifully executed lay-up.  Could you enlighten us on some of the finer points of this supreme basketball fundamental building drill?
Here is an excellent drill used to teach the 3-on-2 fast break. It is a continuous drill that players love to run. I think it's one of the best for teaching the fundamentals of the fast break.

The players will set up in the following manner: Two defensive players will be in each of the free throw lanes, one player will be at each of the four outlet areas (hash mark area), and three offensive players will be at half-court (the middle player will have the basketball).

The three offensive players will start the drill by running a 3-on-2 fast break to one end of the court. The two defenders at that end must work to stop the offensive players from scoring.

When a shot is taken, all five players will go after the rebound. The player that gets the rebound will make an outlet pass to the one of the outlet players who will be in the wing area. The outlet player will then dribble the basketball to the middle of the court, while the rebounder will sprint to fill the outlet player's lane. These two players, along with the other outlet player will now run a 3-on-2 fast break to the other end of the court.

The four players that did not get the rebound will now fill the open positions on their end of the court - two on defense and two outlets.

This drill will continue up and down the court in this manner for a specified amount of time.

Tyrannis Seditio, Obsequium Deo

Offline Tannoudji

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »
The shot clock and the 3 point line have absolutely killed basketball, haven't they tann?
No, the emphasis on style over substance, not calling traveling anymore, and the embracing of rap culture killed basketball.

Can you explain, in 100 words or less, how rap killed basketball?  TIA.
It emphasizes the individual, there is no band working together, just a lone person telling the world how great they are.  Its the me-first attitude that is destroying everything, not just basketball.  Its about who can get the most gold or most drugs, no matter what.  The concept of a team in the opposite of what rap teaches.

I only need three words to prove this wrong:

Wu
Tang
Clan

BOOM!
I had to google who that was, and I still don't know what in the world they do. But they don't scream personal responsibility to me.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
Here is an excellent drill used to teach the 3-on-2 fast break. It is a continuous drill that players love to run. I think it's one of the best for teaching the fundamentals of the fast break.

The players will set up in the following manner: Two defensive players will be in each of the free throw lanes, one player will be at each of the four outlet areas (hash mark area), and three offensive players will be at half-court (the middle player will have the basketball).

The three offensive players will start the drill by running a 3-on-2 fast break to one end of the court. The two defenders at that end must work to stop the offensive players from scoring.

When a shot is taken, all five players will go after the rebound. The player that gets the rebound will make an outlet pass to the one of the outlet players who will be in the wing area. The outlet player will then dribble the basketball to the middle of the court, while the rebounder will sprint to fill the outlet player's lane. These two players, along with the other outlet player will now run a 3-on-2 fast break to the other end of the court.

The four players that did not get the rebound will now fill the open positions on their end of the court - two on defense and two outlets.

This drill will continue up and down the court in this manner for a specified amount of time.

Used to love this one in HS.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »
Tann, given your previous posts, I would assume the "fast break" would be used sparingly. 

Offline Tannoudji

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
Tann, given your previous posts, I would assume the "fast break" would be used sparingly. 
You would be 50% wrong.  The "fast break", as you put it, should be used when we have numbers like 3 on 2, 3 on 1.  4 on 2 I would pull back.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2010, 09:01:52 PM »
Who is a better poster than the nnoudj?  Wow.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2010, 09:11:02 PM »
K-State's ball movement is non-existant.  The offense is basically get the ball in the hands of Clemente/Pullen, and let them throw up a deep three, or drive to the lane out of control and hope to get a foul called.  

Any player who is fast = out of control right BMW?

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »
I love everything about this guy's posts, except I can't figure out how to pronounce his name  :curse:

And, my mind stutters everytime I try to read his name... eff. :embarrassed:

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2010, 09:17:15 PM »
I love everything about this guy's posts, except I can't figure out how to pronounce his name  :curse:

And, my mind stutters everytime I try to read his name... shazbot!. :embarrassed:

Tan - nude - gee

:confused:  :dunno:

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
Great post . . . true in many aspects.

You left out Frank's clear hate for good shooters shoes.   
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »
Tannoudji =  :love:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2010, 09:51:43 PM »
Guesses on Tann's all-time basketball team?

I'm going to with Cousy, Pistol Pete, Bird, Laetner, Walton.  6th man; Chitwood.

:dunno:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:53:49 PM by ksu_FAN »

The42Yardstick

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »

None of my socks have ever been this quality. I'm in awe.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2010, 10:23:25 PM »

sure as crap not me. i don't like this tannoudji character though. fistacuffs if we ever meet.  :flush:

Offline yoman

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »

None of my socks have ever been this quality. I'm in awe.
What happens if it's actually a BMW sock?  Maybe the arguing earlier in this thread was to throw us off the trail!  
I think this yoman guy is on to something....

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
3-man weave  :love: :excited: :drool:

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
What was that pre-game drill that Jack Hartman had them run where everybody ran in a figure 8 around the free throw line and the ball stayed right in the middle and got passed from player to player?  And the band had a specific song that they played when the team ran it?  Was that the 3-man weave?  Seems like I remember more than 3 guys, but it always finished with the last guy dribbling 4 or 5 times to the hoop and executing a picture perfect layup.

I think the Harlem Globetrotters did/do it.

Sorry for the crappy description.

Anyway, maybe our offense would have more motion if Coach Martin brought that back.  

And Hartman also got really pissed off when anybody missed a dunk and preferred layups because the percentage is higher when you use the backboard.  They put that square on there for a reason.  Maybe Coach Martin should ban dunking.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »
Tann and Dobbie in the same thread?

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: