Author Topic: Winning and Losing and the 4 Factors (adv stats) under Frank Martin  (Read 1888 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
There has been plenty of discussion about what's good and what's bad about Martin and his teams. Here is an attempt to summerize some of that based on advanced stats.

http://goEMAW.com/blog/?p=1810

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Winning and Losing and the 4 Factors (adv stats) under Frank Martin
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:33:23 PM »
man oh man, goEMAW.com...where HBBIQ crap happens pretty much constantly.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
I can't for the life of me understand why Rusty hates high school coaches. They are clearly awesome.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:45:14 PM »
I think the next step in the evolution of JYC basketball under Frank Martin will be continuing to force turnovers at a high rate, but doing so without fouling nearly as often.  I don't think the two go hand in hand as Frank's teams' stats have shown so far.  With that will come an unbelievable FT disparity in KSU's advantage.  Do we pick up some extra fouls from our aggressive defense? At times we do, but we pick up just as many from players being irresponsible especially in the paint, swatting down at shots in block attempts and bumping players when there is no need (see Jamar and even Angel though he is not a paint player.)

You don't need to foul to create turnovers.

It wouldn't hurt to get a superstar player who makes a ton of shots either.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »
I think the next step in the evolution of JYC basketball under Frank Martin will be continuing to force turnovers at a high rate, but doing so without fouling nearly as often.  I don't think the two go hand in hand as Frank's teams' stats have shown so far.  With that will come an unbelievable FT disparity in KSU's advantage.  Do we pick up some extra fouls from our aggressive defense? At times we do, but we pick up just as many from players being irresponsible especially in the paint, swatting down at shots in block attempts and bumping players when there is no need (see Jamar and even Angel though he is not a paint player.)

I don't necessarily agree with that. I think the agressive mentality that Frank instills in his players through how they practice, etc. creates the agression that leads to many of the problems; fouling, getting beat off the dribble, backdoors, etc. But Frank is willing to live with it and I'm not sure they can be seperated. Also, as I said, the fouling issues and high FTRs for opponents don't hurt us that much.

Offline JKEYS

• Combo-Fan
  • Winner of the 2013 Ed's NCAA Challenge (RESPECT!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
I think the next step in the evolution of JYC basketball under Frank Martin will be continuing to force turnovers at a high rate, but doing so without fouling nearly as often.  I don't think the two go hand in hand as Frank's teams' stats have shown so far.  With that will come an unbelievable FT disparity in KSU's advantage.  Do we pick up some extra fouls from our aggressive defense? At times we do, but we pick up just as many from players being irresponsible especially in the paint, swatting down at shots in block attempts and bumping players when there is no need (see Jamar and even Angel though he is not a paint player.)

Jam-Sam is easily one of the most frustrating players I've ever watched.  And this is a big reason why...
Kansas City SEO consulting.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:35:35 PM »
There has been plenty of discussion about what's good and what's bad about Martin and his teams. Here is an attempt to summerize some of that based on advanced stats.

http://goEMAW.com/blog/?p=1810

The B12 conference season for 2012 is hardly more than halfway done and already we've got a thread like this going? Like always, when you all demand it (as if our site is slacking in comparison to the rest of the goMascot network) I'm sure Scoups Callahan and I will come up with some sort of update. But c'mon guys. Give us at least a week or two. Reporting isn't the only part of our jobs.
And as for the comment on the thread I had running during the nonconference season, implying nobody cared about some worthless offensive/defensive/team breakdowns, I wouldn't have started it if goEMAW members hadn't started numerous other threads the weekend prior begging for info on where guys like JO, Tay, and Doc Spradling were in Aggieville last Friday night.  I did my best to go above and beyond so y'all didn't have to sift through countless threads trying to find info onour team. It's not my fault they ended up where they did; I was just reporting what I gathered. Sorry if that wasn't what you were looking for, but the day before our game against A&M, I'll be damned if I'm writing an article about the state of the team, who regardless of whether you're paying my salary or not, Give me a break.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:37:56 PM »
 :lol:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »
Whatever happens, I just want angel to keep trying to steal the inbounds after a made basket.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

catzacker

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »
The next evolution for frank would be to get (more/any) kids who can shoot and defend (which would require better recruiting) and/or be able to retain the players he recruits for longer periods of time (pfft….).   

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »
STOP THE DAMN BALL
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
Thanks much for the comprehensive breakdown there _Fan.

With the emphasis/importance of FTR under Frank, I think that stresses the importance of having guards(or wings) being able to attack off the dribble and put pressure on the defense.

I've been very encouraged by Gruds attacking the rim like he has lately(even if that hasn't resulted in him getting to the line, it'll come I hope) and has been stated numerous times, Rodriguez's ability to get in the lane and draw contact gives him a chance to shine in this program.

But hey, I'm all about having more players that are capable of doing that. When I see us recruiting players who are noted for their ability to drive, I usually get fired up(probably more than I should) but I think this shows we need them in order to thrive.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »
we need to get UW and _FAN together at the same pak.  I tried to talk hoops with UW but kept screwing up the classes of the recruits and whatnot. 

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
No you didn't man, the pak was a blast all-around, I'm bringing the beer next time.  :cheers:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »
gruds getting mumped at isu will snowball.  refs don't protect him at all.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 06:21:55 AM »
we need to get UW and _FAN together at the same pak.  I tried to talk hoops with UW but kept screwing up the classes of the recruits and whatnot. 

Would be great, add sys and michigancat too.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 07:13:12 AM »

And probably me too. I would add some zany ideas that would really surprise you guys.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 09:05:51 AM »

Yeah, sd and I will be over here getting a picture with this leprechaun throwing a combofan sign.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »
Corey Schmidt of Basketball Prospectus addresses FTR (and winning and losing) for the Cats: http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2071

Its a fair point for this year's team. In 6 of our 7 Big 12 losses we've been under 35% for FTR. In every Big 12 win we've been over 35%.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
Corey Schmidt of Basketball Prospectus addresses FTR (and winning and losing) for the Cats: http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2071

Its a fair point for this year's team. In 6 of our 7 Big 12 losses we've been under 35% for FTR. In every Big 12 win we've been over 35%.

So, what? Convince McG to drive all the way to the hoop more? Get the bigs the ball on the low block as opposed to the pinch post O? Convince Spradling to drive all the way to the hoop and finally abandon his boomerang penetration?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »

So, what? Convince McG to drive all the way to the hoop more? Get the bigs the ball on the low block as opposed to the pinch post O? Convince Spradling to drive all the way to the hoop and finally abandon his boomerang penetration?

You know well what we do well when get to the FT line, and its usually a combination of bigs attacking in the paint, a bit of penetration, and often just drawing fouls on the perimeter after teams have gotten into the bonus. Part of the problem is simply not drawing fouls early in a half to get opponents into the bonus sooner.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 01:17:18 PM »

Is getting an invite contingent on paying for kenpom?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
we need to get UW and _FAN together at the same pak.  I tried to talk hoops with UW but kept screwing up the classes of the recruits and whatnot.  

Is getting an invite contingent on paying for kenpom?

No, you're in.