Author Topic: poor doc  (Read 3602 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
poor doc
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100306/BIGRED/703069788/0/bigred#nu-s-ugly-duckling-program-a-longtime-puzzle

it's like he's in a knife fight, and instead of a knife he has a stupid, old fball coach for an a.d.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: poor doc
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:57:31 PM »
sys, what do you mean some olf fb coach?  Didn't you read the article?  Osbourne played ball for the Hastings College Broncos!  Those are some credentials. 

The article made it sound like Barfknect had to draw a picture of a basketball for Tom before he started talking about it.  Pretty much each quote got more moronic. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »
Does anything put more perspective on Nebrasketball than this?

Jerry Bush coached for nine years in the 1950s and '60s without a winning season. But a group of boosters liked “the Big Bear of the Coliseum'' so much that after a 1959 win over Missouri, according to research by historian Mike Babcock, they bought Bush two TVs, a stereo and a dehumidifier.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »
Or this?

Overall, Osborne has paid close attention to the influence of AAU coaches on recruiting.

“There's nothing illegal about that,'' he said. “But most everybody in basketball today decries that the high school coach is not nearly as influential as the AAU coach.''

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:23:04 PM »
What a gold mine in that article.

Sundvold with a gem:

Players who give great effort and good coaching are important, Sundvold said.

“But coaches can draw up all the plays they want and it doesn't make much difference,'' he said. “Remember, Bob Knight coached in this league, and he didn't win anything.''

:lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »
Or this?

Overall, Osborne has paid close attention to the influence of AAU coaches on recruiting.

“There's nothing illegal about that,'' he said. “But most everybody in basketball today decries that the high school coach is not nearly as influential as the AAU coach.''

That quote put it over the top for me.  Your basketball program has no chance when the AD doesn't understand the relationship between all D1 players and grassroots basketball.  He sounds like a 72 year old GPC poster that loves 2A O-Linemen and hasn't seen a basketball game in 30 years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:27:50 PM »
What a gold mine in that article.

Sundvold with a gem:

Players who give great effort and good coaching are important, Sundvold said.

“But coaches can draw up all the plays they want and it doesn't make much difference,'' he said. “Remember, Bob Knight coached in this league, and he didn't win anything.''

:lol:

Unfortunate that he doesn't bring it that strong on his broadcasts.  He is a good analyst but like every other Big 12 analyst he refuses to step on any toes.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:34:10 PM »
Know the real reason I hate Currie?  Because he is going to ditch us and Grandpa's going to get wheeled upstairs so he can drop quotes like these:

Has Osborne studied those schools for clues on a turnaround?

“Not particularly, no,'' he said. “It's more about what we're doing here.''

Osborne said some AAU coaches demand payment for their “recruiting service,'' which he said “may just be a mimeographed piece of paper with phone numbers.''

Other AAU coaches, he said, want invitations for high-paid speaking engagements at university clinics, or they demand fees to participate in certain tournaments.

Said Osborne: “The question is, ‘Do you want to go down that road or not?' Doc has not done that. We have not paid the large speaking fees, and I admire him for that.

“I'm not saying that's why we've never had a national championship in basketball. But it's a very difficult landscape to navigate for any coach.''

What if Sadler wanted to get into the AAU recruiting game?

“I certainly wouldn't be encouraging that,'' Osborne said.

PFFFFFFFFT
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:36:40 PM by Mr. KK »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
Know the real reason I hate Currie?  Because he is going to ditch us and Grandpa's going to get wheeled upstairs so he can drop quotes like these:

Good thing is I'm pretty sure the chances of Snyder agreeing to be AD would be about 1%.

Trim and I both agreed during the game that he needed my boys to be over kicking his chair to get him out of his seat. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »
Know the real reason I hate Currie?  Because he is going to ditch us and Grandpa's going to get wheeled upstairs so he can drop quotes like these:

Good thing is I'm pretty sure the chances of Snyder agreeing to be AD would be about 1%.

Trim and I both agreed during the game that he needed my boys to be over kicking his chair to get him out of his seat. 

He would literally turn into an animated Mr. Burns if he made the move.  His own son could play Smithers.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
Know the real reason I hate Currie?  Because he is going to ditch us and Grandpa's going to get wheeled upstairs so he can drop quotes like these:

Osborne said some AAU coaches demand payment for their “recruiting service,'' which he said “may just be a mimeographed piece of paper with phone numbers.''

Other AAU coaches, he said, want invitations for high-paid speaking engagements at university clinics, or they demand fees to participate in certain tournaments.

Said Osborne: “The question is, ‘Do you want to go down that road or not?' Doc has not done that. We have not paid the large speaking fees, and I admire him for that.

“I'm not saying that's why we've never had a national championship in basketball. But it's a very difficult landscape to navigate for any coach.''

PFFFFFFFFT

Jesus, NU is TRYING to kill basketball.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »

Do you think Te uses his money on like a top of the line mimeograph machine?  I bet the think is rough ridin' chrome plated!
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 09:52:24 PM »
Its becoming pretty clear that Doc may have tanked this season to try to get himself fired and thus get out of Lincoln.  And I couldn't really blame him if so, no way he's going to do anything as long as TO is AD there.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »
Its becoming pretty clear that Doc may have tanked this season to try to get himself fired and thus get out of Lincoln.  And I couldn't really blame him if so, no way he's going to do anything as long as TO is AD there.

Maybe he was convinced that with his low finish he'd qualify for a high AAU lottery draft pick? :dunno:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »

this can't be a real quote, can it?  Has to be taken out of context.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 10:03:57 PM »
What logic do you have for automatically giving TO the benefit of the doubt? 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 10:04:49 PM »

this can't be a real quote, can it?  Has to be taken out of context.

Have you ever smelled old people?  Smells like it right now.

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »

Do you think Te uses his money on like a top of the line mimeograph machine?  I bet the think is fracking chrome plated!

shazbot! those things made some great smelling tests...

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 11:56:29 PM »

PFFFFFFFFT
Um, do you remember the type of players he had during the DOD? OB wouldn't get his hands dirty in the AAU system, but he would gladly let a coach go that route for wins.  But yeah, he's never going to be AD.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »

PFFFFFFFFT
Um, do you remember the type of players he had during the DOD? OB wouldn't get his hands dirty in the AAU system, but he would gladly let a coach go that route for wins.  But yeah, he's never going to be AD.

Is the implication here that Warden Tom ran some boy scout troupe out on the field?  The problem is that they are old dudes barely able to follow their own blackberry.  The concept of AAU might be a little much to introduce at this late stage.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »

PFFFFFFFFT

Is the implication here that Warden Tom ran some boy scout troupe out on the field?  The problem is that they are old dudes barely able to follow their own blackberry.  The concept of AAU might be a little much to introduce at this late stage.

Touche

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 07:27:52 AM »
 :surprised:

Offline my troll name ... Koppe22

• Combo-Fan
  • Disgraced Banned Former Powert@rd Koppe22
    • View Profile
    • meh
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
Im waiting for the day where we  get  to read the article about good old Tommy O being found half nude at a McDonalds at :powerespect: 4am yelling about his lawn  mower.  fd
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:37:12 AM by youhavehugefitz22 »
Koppe is a giant idiot bad person for sure but he's nowhere close to as big of an idiot bad person as others.To my knowledge Koppe has never bought an adult trike or talked to a dog whisperer.

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:44 AM »

Have it on pretty good authority that OB wanted Sean to be the AD post-BK Broiler. If that had happened, OB would literally die on the sideline - no way ANYONE could have gotten rid of him.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »
Have it on pretty good authority that OB wanted Sean to be the AD post-BK Broiler. If that had happened, OB would literally die on the sideline - no way ANYONE could have gotten rid of him.

You know what sucks ass?  A larger-than-you-think contingent of our fanbase would fist pump at news that Sean got the gig.