Author Topic: should rick daris go to tokyo  (Read 26033 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: should rick daris go to tokyo
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »
what are the dates?
Really doesn't matter for me, what dates work for you?

September/October-ish

That is much better for me, as well.  Would be fun to pak and watch a cats game from a bar in Tokyo, assuming that Rick would let me go.

i would do it this fall. also and it sounds ridiculous, but there's no reason that we can't just pick a week next may and do it then. everybody would have time to plan and get AA cards and have the miles needed to fly there for free. plus it's less miles (40k roundtrip for coach). plus aasaver flights this spring at least have been open for as far as the eyes can see. plus we could get a baseball game in.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/USASIAFewerMiles.jsp

am i being Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) about seeing this?  is there no list of departure and destination cities to which this applies?  and the only way to book is by calling?

i'm guessing it's anywhere they fly. weird though. their aasaver flights for this time are usually 50k round trip.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2012, 08:26:15 AM »
we are all still doing this. the absolute confirmed date is april 2013, so everybody that doesn't have enough miles to get over there still has time.  chop chop.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
we are all still doing this. the absolute confirmed date is april 2013, so everybody that doesn't have enough miles to get over there still has time.  chop chop.

United has super cheap DEN-Tokyo flights for the next couple weeks since it is a new route.  Any chance of hammering down a date so I can book a super cheap rate with an insane amount of miles instead of using points?  Also, it would have to be by the end of April '13 for this to work and I think the original plan was for May, so maybe its a no go

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »

United has super cheap DEN-Tokyo flights for the next couple weeks since it is a new route.  Any chance of hammering down a date so I can book a super cheap rate with an insane amount of miles instead of using points?  Also, it would have to be by the end of April '13 for this to work and I think the original plan was for May, so maybe its a no go

hmmmm. nailing down a date and booking this early would certainly be a way to kickstart this thing. will look into things and report back this weekend.

also, we now know the hotel we are staying at. hilton points are super easy to come by through numerous different cc sign-ups. this place is nice, a cat 6 and less than a ten minute walk to shinjuku station (largest and busiest rail station in the world). in the world you guys.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/TYOHITW-Hilton-Tokyo-hotel-Tokyo/index.do

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2012, 07:28:41 AM »

the united DEN-NRT route just got a lot more interesting

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/boeing-united-787-dreamliner-handson/

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »
Is this thing still on for April?  Mostly just curious.  Mrs. chum1 has made it clear that she has no interest, but I probably wouldn't go as soon as anytime this year anyway.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2013, 02:59:59 PM »
this is one of the best threads around. rd at his finest.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »
***tokyo true story alert***

i have a friend that used to intern at AA. he and the other interns would check weekend flights to see which ones had a ton of availibility and then pick one and go (they could fly for free or for like 35 bucks or something). anyway, once they picked tokyo. they got drunk for free in first class on the way down. spent six hours drinking in tokyo and then hopped a plane back and went into work on monday. i mean wow. also, if i go i would plan on spending more time there than he did.

guess what AA employee is now flying to tokyo every couple of months for AA tokyo business? yep the guy above. am trying to work out something so that can go same time as him and whoever else i can talk into going. prob too late for me to do april this year though. vacation days are already drained dry due to recent fam illness and am going skiing in a month also. hot dang we need to do this though. you in, chum? you'd know who AAcat is if i gave you the name. who else? bubbles? chicat?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
Keep me in the loop.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2013, 03:39:47 PM »
in

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
I'm going to need some more planning time since I shelved April.  Still in though

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »
***tokyo true story alert***

i have a friend that used to intern at AA. he and the other interns would check weekend flights to see which ones had a ton of availibility and then pick one and go (they could fly for free or for like 35 bucks or something). anyway, once they picked tokyo. they got drunk for free in first class on the way down. spent six hours drinking in tokyo and then hopped a plane back and went into work on monday. i mean wow. also, if i go i would plan on spending more time there than he did.

guess what AA employee is now flying to tokyo every couple of months for AA tokyo business? yep the guy above. am trying to work out something so that can go same time as him and whoever else i can talk into going. prob too late for me to do april this year though. vacation days are already drained dry due to recent fam illness and am going skiing in a month also. hot dang we need to do this though. you in, chum? you'd know who AAcat is if i gave you the name. who else? bubbles? chicat?

That sounds really fun.  Could be, depending on timing.
:adios:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
Is this what we do in this thread now?  If so then----> in

I am so goddamned in just try to stop me and there's no way you will be able to though.  I'll be buying panties from vending machines and sleeping in metered cubby holes like mad.  It's going to be excellent.  Watch out Japanese folks cause Mr Bread's coming to town!  Just kidding though, I'm going to be totally respectful and polite.   :bball:(but Japanese for good time fun okay!)
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
#JaPAK
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »
hey nice to meet you, i'm daris.

oh hey daris, it's bread.

oh great. bread, you're just in time to catch the bullet train to some kind of sumo match with chicat, johnny wichita and i right after we eat some grasshoppers on this street corner and sing some justin bieber karaoke at this basement alley bar with some japanese business men that don't speak any english.

sounds great. let me just drop the luggage off in the room and i'll be right down.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
hey nice to meet you, i'm daris.

oh hey daris, it's bread.

oh great. bread, you're just in time to catch the bullet train to some kind of sumo match with chicat, johnny wichita and i right after we eat some grasshoppers on this street corner and sing some justin bieber karaoke at this basement alley bar with some japanese business men that don't speak any english.

sounds great. let me just drop the luggage off in the room and i'll be right down.

this is one of those posts where after youre done reading it you look over at rick daris's avatar and realize that a cat dressed up in human clothes just wrote this, and then you lol

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »
@TravlandLeisure 5m
Ever go on a pub crawl? Tokyo’s countless eclectic bars give a taste of the city’s nightlife & of course, food: http://tandl.me/10DMsOa

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »
@TravlandLeisure 5m
Ever go on a pub crawl? Tokyo’s countless eclectic bars give a taste of the city’s nightlife & of course, food: http://tandl.me/10DMsOa

this post is a huge slap to my face about the fact that i still haven't done this. i feel like a college drop out that says "yeah i'm going back next semester and i'm going into biology because i'm going to be a doctor" but then a year later and i'm still part time at home depot.  :frown:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
Home depot has like really good benefits I think

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
I like Home Depot, but I'm not too sure I'd want to work there. Working with contractors and other professionals would be fine but the dolts who don't know a screw from a nail, or a drill from a sander, would drive me nuts.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »
Home depot has like really good benefits I think

part time though? like 15 hours a week? idk. seems like that just wouldn't be enough.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »
good call on not going, rick daris.  save those points for an italy trip.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
good call on not going, rick daris.  save those points for an italy trip.

idk. italians seem like total assholes though and i don't think i like them. thoughts?