Author Topic: Stillwater Esky Joe's and Bitter Buffy's  (Read 10866 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Stillwater Esky Joe's and Bitter Buffy's
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:29:24 PM »

Eskie Joe's

Angelito has an assassin's soul.  Angel took the lead early with a 3 to tie it, a steal and then a layup.  5 points in a flurry.  He shows ability in a flash.  He creates opportunities from nothing.  His heat check three was a thing of beauty.  He is everything that our other guards are not.  He has imagination and courage and flair.  There will be times when these attributes serve to destroy and not create, and we have already seen these times, but more importantly he has "it."  He has the swag, he has the cojones, he will not be denied.  When Angel stepped to the line with the game still balancing precariously on his shoulders.  His eyes looked tired, sunken, like a zombie from Thriller.  But they did not blink and they did not show one ounce of doubt.  He was looking through the hoop and staring down the death rattle of Oklahoma State's curse.  He is at his best when there is chaos, the other point has speed up and he can sag in to passing lanes.  Then he's out on the break.  That is becoming a weapon.  Instead of the 3-2 I think the trap could develop in to our finishing move.  We need something to put the foot on the throat of opponents once we get in to our run.

Jamar owned the paint.  Jamar wanted this one.  12 boards.  Got to the line, frustrated the opposition, played great basketball.  He had a lot of other people's work to do and he stepped up to the occasion.  There's something about this team that allows Jamar to shine when the chips are down.  I wouldn't have thought that would be where he'd be.  He is so much more comfortable when he is not the leader, when it doesn't have to be all about him.  He lives to work hard, but he doesn't want the world on his shoulders.  Rodney's development has had knock-on effects I couldn't have imagined.  

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might just find, you get what you need  Frankites Unite!  Who knows what the deal is with JO.  Some say this, others that.  I'm not ITK, never have been, doubt I ever will unless Fitz gets hauled off and goEMAW starts rubbing shoulders with the likes of Ashley Dunkak, Austin Meek, Cole Manbeck and Rob Cassidy.  As it stands, speculation is all we have and largely it is beside the point.  I think Frank is aware that the leadership on the team is precarious.  And Frank concerns himself with leadership.  For as much flailing around as Frank does on the sidelines, he needs players to lead.  To this end, I believe Frank is protective of what Rodney has done, the time he's invested in Jamar and Will and Angel and the rest of the team.  This war is not won and there is a lot of work to do, but I think the path is being paved.  On this topic, there has been a lot of talk about sausages.  I'm not one to turn down a good food analogy, but I don't know if it is an apt comparison.  Often times, people are judge the the team before it is complete.  It is not a tired cliche to say that Frank's priority is success in the NCAA tournament.  College Basketball is not an odd sport, it has a playoff at the end of the season that determines the champion.  I think what causes all of our heartburn is a do or die college football mentality to every game.  It serves the crowd well in the Octagon of Doom, but I don't think it serves our psyche's too well.  That may just be our cross to bear, but being aware of it helps.  

Guards  The guards boarded so hard and were tough.  Will was not at his best and Martavious and Angel stepped up.  It is heartening to see the team function like this.  Frank has said that he does not and will not respect "roles" on the team.  This team is a swiss army knife and Frank has spent most of the year pulling out the different pieces.  I think he knows where they all are and Tay is an important piece.  Tay played the second most minutes and he was a calming influence.  Really good game for him.  6 boards too.  Good for him.  Will had 8 and 5, not bad but he will bounce back with his shot.

AAAAAAAADRIAAAN!  and vic.  BIG MAN ON THE BOARDS!  I think Frank may have brainwashed Diaz into believing that he really is playing his brother every game.  Alternate theory: maybe Frank has set up some sort of dark room like in Saw deep within Bramlage where he's holding JO.....and only Diaz and Vic playing solid minutes can save him.  Well, I'm on the edge of my seat Frank.  Bravo!  38 minutes for the disabled duo and it was digestible, but probably not very healthy for you (sausage analogy back in play!).

Rodney is so Rodney right now  Man.  Sometimes I just wait for him to flash a million dollar smile and melt hearts.  If you could take Rodney and Shane and make a baby.  You'd have one hell of a hero, dropping panties and treys all over creation.  But Rodney's terrified face whenever he dunks is reward enough.  There is no sense being greedy.  He did something that Jacob did not do, that Beasley did not do, that Cartier did not do, that Gilson DeJesus did not do.  I've expected great things from Rodney and he is rewarding us.  Enjoy this cat fans.  Enjoy every second of it.

Bitter Buffy's

The refs were awful.  Anytime you have two technicals in a game without a physical altercation to be spoken of, the referees have lost control of the game.  Full stop.  I didn't see what shenanigans Travis was up to, but unless he literally asked for it, it was probably unwarranted.  As for Gip?  That was the weakest T I've seen in a long while.  The foul was a bad call too.  What a double whammy.  Absurd.  

The Jet just crashed at the airshow.  He is out of control almost all the time he's on the floor.  The defense is not good, but that has been discussed ad nauseam, the problem is his offense is not producing right now.  Where the hell is Nino?

Nino is the toothpick in the swiss army knife  Frank lost him.

Shane is completely anonymous.  How is it possible?  9 minutes of sadness.

Can't do GOATS UP/GOATS DOWN!  WE'RE JUST RUNNIN' TOO GOOD RIGHT NOW!

ALL-TIME LOW GOAT!

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:31:02 PM by Tortuga »

Offline theswo

• Combo-Fan
  • Keep shooting, Gilbert
    • View Profile
Re: Stillwater Esky Joe's and Bitter Buffy's
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »
Nino is injured.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »
I was very critical of Sprads yesterday in chat. But then Frank praises his defense on pigboy. OK, he fights through screens, but can't you some shots up against that porcine midget.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »
bravo. very well-done.  :thumbs:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
Is watson dead? Might prefer his corpse to vic. Bet pitino watches our games and spanks it to angel, can't judge him.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »
BB: Gooch has not posted a pak report.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »
thank you for this tortuga.  I was getting ready to complain about it being due early this morning but it was worth the wait.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 06:14:26 PM »
people really need to know the injury report. gosh.

good stuff.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
Great stuff, as always.

I agree on Will, at some point the offense has to come back around. He did play well on defense and hit some 2nd half FTs. The late TO was the most disappointing play of his afternoon.

I will at least give Southy credit for his nice pass in the 2nd half, otherwise an uneventful performance.

Like you, I will always appreciate those types of Jamar games. Always.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »
The late TO was the most disappointing play of his afternoon.

yes.

good work, tortuga.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
Tortuga, would this put you fully onboard the #teamangel train?

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
Wish _Fan did these things.  do the Mods just not pay well enough or does Tort just own the rights?  (no offense 'Tuga, it was a serviceable report, just not _Fan-level stuff.)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
Wish _Fan did these things.  do the Mods just not pay well enough or does Tort just own the rights?  (no offense 'Tuga, it was a serviceable report, just not _Fan-level stuff.)

Tortuga is really, really good at these, and very HBBIQ.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 07:54:26 PM »

Tortuga is really, really good at these, and very HBBIQ.

Agreed. Tortuga is a really good writer.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »

Honestly, these are like me operating at maximum capacity.  If _Fan or someone else gave me a breather I'd be thrilled.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
Nice work Tort, but this was another great oppy for GOATS UP SHANE.

0 boards, a horrible turnover, just 2 assists (not enough when you do nothing else) and 0 pts. Add that to some pretty bad D, and his 'goat can't get much higher right now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:49:52 PM by kougar24 »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »

0 boards, a horrible turnover, just 2 assists (not enough when you do nothing else) and 0 pts. Add that to some pretty bad D, and his 'goat can't get much higher right now.

I'm being very generous.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »

I'm being very generous.

I can appreciate that. I was unnaturally happy after the win...way better than a home win over UT.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
I was waiting for this hoping you'd light Will up, horribly disappointed.  I don't know what his issue is or why Frank continues to shelter him.  I thought Frank is just like Will's dad and he could handle Frank?  He is the only player of consequence that has played for Frank for more than a year that didn't either get benched or roasted in a post game interview, why is that?  My problem with him before was that he didn't make things happen, he was very close to a non-descript entity.  He's crossed over to hurting the team, he is not doing the things he did did well before and he is making losing plays.  Yes, the defense on Paige was good, very good, but it was a team effort.  Additionally, Keaton Paige isn't the type of player that a high level guard should be patted on the back for being held to 17.  There isn't a sane person in the world that would take Paige over Spradling, yet we're going to wet ourselves over Paige scoring 17.

Sorry but Frank needs to do something, I'm not going to hit the panic button yet but something is clearly wrong with Will.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »
I'm not going to hit the panic button yet but something is clearly wrong with Will.

Quote from: everyone, a month and a half ago
I'm not going to hit the panic button yet but something is clearly wrong with Rodney.

Offline Lefty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 09:06:41 PM »
I was waiting for this hoping you'd light Will up, horribly disappointed.  I don't know what his issue is or why Frank continues to shelter him.  I thought Frank is just like Will's dad and he could handle Frank?  He is the only player of consequence that has played for Frank for more than a year that didn't either get benched or roasted in a post game interview, why is that?  My problem with him before was that he didn't make things happen, he was very close to a non-descript entity.  He's crossed over to hurting the team, he is not doing the things he did did well before and he is making losing plays.  Yes, the defense on Paige was good, very good, but it was a team effort.  Additionally, Keaton Paige isn't the type of player that a high level guard should be patted on the back for being held to 17.  There isn't a sane person in the world that would take Paige over Spradling, yet we're going to wet ourselves over Paige scoring 17.

Sorry but Frank needs to do something, I'm not going to hit the panic button yet but something is clearly wrong with Will.

Something's wrong with:
-Will
-JO
-Shane

These guys haven't adjusted well to their new roles I guess?
elitist since 1994

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »
I'm not going to hit the panic button yet but something is clearly wrong with Will.

I'm not going to hit the panic button yet but something is clearly wrong with Rodney.

Difference being that Rodney wasn't meeting the expectations people had for him, Will is absolutely hurting us right now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »

Something's wrong with:
-Will
-JO
-Shane

These guys haven't adjusted well to their new roles I guess?

Nothing wrong with JO and I don't notice a huge change with Shane.  His mistakes seem to be from being more aggressive, I don't have a huge problem with this.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »

Difference being that Rodney wasn't meeting the expectations people had for him, Will is absolutely hurting us right now.

Fair enough.

One more thing: you said Will is the only player Frank has never benched or publicly called out...I don't recall Rodney ever getting benched or chastised in postgames either. A minor quibble.