Author Topic: Wikipedia blackout  (Read 2011 times)

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
Wikipedia blackout
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/17/tech/web/wikipedia-sopa-blackout-qa/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Go to Wikipedia at midnight [tonight], and you won't find any of the usual encyclopedia articles.
Instead, you'll be greeted with a message about anti-piracy bills that are topics of heated debate in the U.S. Congress -- stirring opposition from tech companies in Silicon Valley and support from media companies in Hollywood.
Wikipedia, one of the highest-traffic sites on the Internet, will shut down for 24 hours in protest of these laws, which the website says would make it very difficult -- maybe impossible -- for its nonprofit encyclopedia to continue to operate.

No Wikipedia or Google for 24 hours?!?!

:runaway:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia blackout
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »
google?

:confused:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:46:50 PM »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:02:13 AM »
Google didn't shut down, they have the GOOGLE censored which links to the petition.

Wikipedia is still running as of right now. Hope they go through with it.

Nevermind, wiki blacked out. Good for them
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:06:49 AM by AbeFroman »

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:10:03 AM »
I really do wish Google would black out. Don't be fooled by news articles you see saying "SOPA is dead" because its bullshit.  It is still very much alive, and we cannot afford to have any incarnation of SOPA or PIPA passed.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »
Agreed. A wikipedia blackout is annoying, but the only people that will suffer will be students writing a paper (I know teachers say it's not allowed as a source but everyone still uses it)

A google shut down would cause a meltdown since they are so much more (mail, docs, maps et.c). It would really light a fire under people's asses to bombard the representatives and senators.

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:18:27 AM »
Agreed. A wikipedia blackout is annoying, but the only people that will suffer will be students writing a paper (I know teachers say it's not allowed as a source but everyone still uses it)

A google shut down would cause a meltdown since they are so much more (mail, docs, maps et.c). It would really light a fire under people's asses to bombard the representatives and senators.
Word on the street is that wikipedia was started by child molesters.  Google, too.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:26 AM »
Kinda curious just how many times per day I use google.  Bet it's quite a bit.  Gonna have to count it one of these days.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »
man, if google shuts down work is going to think i'm a complete Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) in the morning.  dunno if i can stutter and stammer for an entire day

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 02:02:45 AM »

Word on the street is that wikipedia was started by child molesters.  Google, too.

:zzz:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Wikipedia blackout
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »
Craigslist is down too. Think there are a few others. It would definitely be better if google / yahoo and the other search engine pages that are against it shut down...
:adios:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:21:04 AM »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »
https://twitter.com/#!/herpderpedia

omg

Why has wikipedia gone? I think they have done this on purpose.

:lol:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »

child slave rapers!!!!   :curse:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »

People who mock Wikipedia are short-sighed morons, not necessarily referring to you I'm not taking your post as a Wiki slight.  Find a fact on Wikipedia and then click the damn footnote number next to it.  Pretty rough ridin' simple way to find info from a reputable source.

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »

People who mock Wikipedia are short-sighed morons, not necessarily referring to you I'm not taking your post as a Wiki slight.  Find a fact on Wikipedia and then click the damn footnote number next to it.  Pretty rough ridin' simple way to find info from a reputable source.
Agreed.  I'm astonished more people (teachers especially) aren't astonished at the astonishing impact of wikipedia.

It's the most comprehensive and most accessible encyclopedia in the history of the world.