Author Topic: Video games master thread  (Read 625782 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Video games master thread (XBox LIVE price raise?!)
« Reply #925 on: September 19, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »
Dudes, let's keep the slap fighting to a minimum in this thread. TIA.  This thread is for stuff like tips about where to find beaver pelts and prickly pears, not petty disputes about dumb dumb games.
man, those beaver pelts were hard to find. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: September 20, 2010, 09:37:34 AM »
Dudes, let's keep the slap fighting to a minimum in this thread. TIA.  This thread is for stuff like tips about where to find beaver pelts and prickly pears, not petty disputes about dumb dumb games.
man, those beaver pelts were hard to find. 

I ran into a whole herd of beaver on the north shore of West Elizabeth.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: September 20, 2010, 09:47:32 AM »
I was  up in Tall Trees when I found mine, the only problem is the bears won't stay away.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: September 20, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »
People still playing RDR? :lol:

Friggin noobs, get new games.

j/k really, it is a quality game.  Probably loads of crap I could do on it and have fun but playing other stuff at the moment.

Actually, i'm not. I beat Torchlight yesterday and just waiting until tomorrow for Civ 5.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: September 20, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »
I was  up in Tall Trees when I found mine, the only problem is the bears won't stay away.

I think i still need to finish a couple more challenges. I dont remember though. I was too pissed at the ending to put it back in.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: September 20, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »
ya i'm pretty meticulous when i play, try to get everything possible accomplished.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: September 20, 2010, 01:36:53 PM »
Yeah, I still need to get 100% completion.

PowercatPat- Still waiting on your stats and excuses.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 20, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »

I think i still need to finish a couple more challenges. I dont remember though. I was too pissed at the ending to put it back in.

I know it's coming, I just don't know when.  Everytime I take the boy out into the woods, I expect a bear to rape and kill John Marshall

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 20, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
ya i'm pretty meticulous when i play, try to get everything possible accomplished.
Get any of the DLC?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 20, 2010, 03:07:21 PM »
Get any of the DLC?
Not yet, I've still got a bit of the regular story left to complete.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 21, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
Civ 5 bump, saul?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 21, 2010, 01:20:46 PM »
Civ 5 bump, saul?
Unlocked. Ready to play. Even started it up so it could do it's initial dx11 configuration and whatnot, but, haven't played it.

I'll be playing all night tonight - will have a report later tonight or tomorrow.  So far it's getting a 92 on Metacritic.  Starcraft 2 got a 93 total.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 21, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »
Every review I've read said that it is a total reinvention of the game, but it's still familiar and amazing. One place said if you described in depth, the game to a really really talented developer who had never played it, Civ V is what they would produce. Everything is familiar, but new and refreshed. Sounds exciting.

Offline goldenticket

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 21, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »
i havent been playing anything lately. i got crackdown 2 when it came out but didnt like it that much so beat it and then got rid of it. since then my 360 has just been a netflix player. but etrian odyssey 3 (ds game) came out today so ordered that. i dont think ive played and ds game in over a year
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:21:11 PM by goldenticket »

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 21, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »
Bioshock Infinite gameplay trailer:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/31513

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 21, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
Civ 5 bump, saul?
Unlocked. Ready to play. Even started it up so it could do it's initial dx11 configuration and whatnot, but, haven't played it.

I'll be playing all night tonight - will have a report later tonight or tomorrow.  So far it's getting a 92 on Metacritic.  Starcraft 2 got a 93 total.
So far: Wow.

The interface is so, so much cleaner and less cluttered than previous games. I've used the mouse the entire time even though I was so used to using the keyboard.  I also like the notifications on the right side, and the way everything is presented.  Graphics are beautiful.

Gold plays a much more pivotal role.  You have to buy tiles to expand your borders, rather than normal growth via culture.

No more religion. Everything is done via "Social Policy" - which is kind of like the tech tree, you adopt certain policies which restrict you from adopting others, and you have prerequisites for others.

Combat - love it.  No more stacking units.  If a unit requires a special resource, you can only build one of those units if you only have one of that resource.  Once you discover optics your units can "embark" - move on water!? WTF?  They are useless in water though, so you have to be careful.  It seems they are doing this to get rid of transport units...which I like. 

Luxury resources - only 1 benefits you. Any others past that, you should just trade them.

City states - kind of annoying so far, but somewhat beneficial.

Haven't gotten in to diplomacy much yet, only have 1 bordering civilization, and he's behaved.

Currently in the Medieval era (Ancient, Classical, Medieval), so i'll have more to report later.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 21, 2010, 06:19:13 PM »
Civ 5 bump, saul?

The interface is so, so much cleaner and less cluttered than previous games. I've used the mouse the entire time even though I was so used to using the keyboard.  I also like the notifications on the right side, and the way everything is presented.  Graphics are beautiful.

Gold plays a much more pivotal role.  You have to buy tiles to expand your borders, rather than normal growth via culture.

No more religion. Everything is done via "Social Policy" - which is kind of like the tech tree, you adopt certain policies which restrict you from adopting others, and you have prerequisites for others.

Combat - love it.  No more stacking units.  If a unit requires a special resource, you can only build one of those units if you only have one of that resource.  Once you discover optics your units can "embark" - move on water!? WTF?  They are useless in water though, so you have to be careful.  It seems they are doing this to get rid of transport units...which I like. 

Luxury resources - only 1 benefits you. Any others past that, you should just trade them.

Haven't gotten in to diplomacy much yet, only have 1 bordering civilization, and he's behaved.

Currently in the Medieval era (Ancient, Classical, Medieval), so i'll have more to report later.

I better get start clearing out my week...

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 21, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
Civ 5 bump, saul?

How much horsepower does this game require?  Any chance that a typical business laptop could push it?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 21, 2010, 07:33:26 PM »
Ok - I was wrong, your borders DO expand when they gain enough culture, it is just slower than previous games.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: September 21, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »
Civ 5 bump, saul?

How much horsepower does this game require?  Any chance that a typical business laptop could push it?
Probably not very well.

Minimum Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: September 24, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »

:lol:

The42Yardstick

Re: Video games master thread (NBA ELITE 11 DEMO, LOL!!!!)
« Reply #947 on: September 24, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »
just got civ5 in the mail today. will play on the plane tomorrow

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Video games master thread (NBA ELITE 11 DEMO, LOL!!!!)
« Reply #948 on: September 24, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »
OMG, tears :lol:

The42Yardstick

« Reply #949 on: September 24, 2010, 02:07:07 PM »
he's standing there like jesus