Author Topic: SEC defense superiority myth busted  (Read 2787 times)

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
SEC defense superiority myth busted
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:51:15 PM »
Arkansas offensive stats vs the SEC Ds compared to KSU D.  The KSU D held the #1 total offense and scoring offense in the SEC to less yards than their average against the SEC teams they played.  The only SEC defenses that held Arkansas to less yards than KSU were 'Bama and LSU.  So other than those 2, the SEC defenses are pretty meh.  BTW, KSU had the 5th ranked D in conf play in the Big 12.

Rushing                    Passing            Kick Ret                Punt Ret                 total
                       yds          avg                yds    ypc            yds        avg          yds         avg               off
vs SEC         134.2        4.34              268   13.1          74.6      19.8         14.9      10.4          402.1

vs KSU          129           4.3               216   10.8          71         23.7          62         20.7            345

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: SEC defense superiority myth busted
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »
DEBUNKED!

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:53:55 AM »
Boom. Winner  :lynchmob:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »
Leave it to Pigaggy to make Cosh look good.

Offline We Are Better Than You

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:50 AM »
Boom. Winner  :lynchmob:

Boom... You still lost... Boom!
EMAW mods fold like the K-State D-Line...welcome back, Jack!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 09:27:05 AM »
Oh My   :thumbs: Big 12

:sdeek: SEC aggies

Offline We Are Better Than You

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »
Oh My   :thumbs: Big 12

:sdeek: SEC aggies

29-16?
EMAW mods fold like the K-State D-Line...welcome back, Jack!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline WordUpBU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »
WVU also hung 500 on LSU's vaunted D.

Fact is LSU and Bama are elite D's... but so is UT.  Everyone else in the SEC is above the national average but a step down.

Arky was able to limit you guys but were hapless on D vs Aggy in allowing 300 rushing and 600+ overall.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »

Fact is LSU and Bama are elite D's... but so is UT.  Everyone else in the SEC is above the national average but a step down.

Arky was able to limit you guys but were hapless on D vs Aggy in allowing 300 rushing and 600+ overall.

almost every team we played this year was able to limit us.  We were lopsided on yards almost all year.  our O's yards/game can't be a measuring stick.

Offline WordUpBU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »

almost every team we played this year was able to limit us.  We were lopsided on yards almost all year.  our O's yards/game can't be a measuring stick.

To a certain extent I agree with you.  KSU is not an offense that would produce consistently and is frankly opportunistic with the D and ST units gift wrapping both direct scores and short fields to them.

My point was not that KSU was a measuring stick for the Arky D, but rather to point out that their D, LSU's D, and others can still be had against good balanced offenses.

Offline HogFoo

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »

To a certain extent I agree with you.  KSU is not an offense that would produce consistently and is frankly opportunistic with the D and ST units gift wrapping both direct scores and short fields to them.

My point was not that KSU was a measuring stick for the Arky D, but rather to point out that their D, LSU's D, and others can still be had against good balanced offenses.
Hmmmm and here i thought it was all about wins and losses.   Oregon did just what against lsu?  got their ass handed to them.   WVU did just what against them?  they got some yards, but what was the final score?  Not even close.   You guys want to sit and argue when you guys are one of the worst defensive confs in the country.  Your highest ranked team defensive wise is texas and they are 54th!    It's ok though.  Just wait till next year right?  You guys can say you are the best conf again and see how that works for you.  :ksu:

The Hogs offense was out of sync due to numerous things other than what the jayhawks were doing.  I will admit your defense played above itself for a few plays but it had more to do with being out of sync than anything your defense was doing. They just replaced 5 coordinators!  The QB coach/ offensive coordinator and special teams coach.   The players weren't used to the new coaches just yet.  I will admit that the new DC we hired sure made you guys look like the pathetic team that you are though.  Hahaha..    Of course, all you had was a slow ass qb who isn't even as good as tebow was/is.       Just keep those 95th ranked recruiting classes coming in and maybe one day you can get a 3star to sign on and youll actually have some talent on your team.  Good luck with that though. :excited: :emawkid:

Offline WordUpBU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
Oregon had several dumb turnovers against LSU.  LSU won and were the better team but let's not pretend that LSU D was the 2000 Baltimore Ravens or 1985 Bears.

Texas is 54th after playing the following offenses and defensing them better than pretty much anyone

OSU (better than WVU by far.  Remember WVU was in their first month of live action in the Air Raid after being a run-first team for several years and still hung 500 on LSU)
Baylor (#2 in the nation)
A&M (Hung 600+ on you)
Mizzou (Arkansas fans should remember Mizzou's offense after the 2008 Cotton Bowl)
OU (Got them before injuries depleted their offense)
Tech (Did as well or better offensively than Arkansas with 3 common foes (KSU, ATM, UNM))

Against teams with similar offenses to what the non-Arky SEC teams have... UT gave up much less.  UCLA, Cal, BYU, KSU, and ISU are very similar to Bama's foes other than arkansas offensively and UT gave up a meager 249 ypg and 15 ppg.   This average drops to 216 and 12 with KU and Rice added in.  UT's defense is only ranked low as a result of having to face elite offenses for almost half the schedule.  Even still they shut down MU and A&M as well as doing well per play against TT when backups gave up some late yards.

Make LSU play 4 more offenses like Oregon and WVU instead of WKU, Ole Miss, MSU, and UK.  I think the averages would be very similar.  Auburn's offense does not count... they are average at best and so is the UGA offense that struggled against a BSU team that TCU torched with a freshman QB. 

Texas, Bama, and LSU are 3 elite defenses this year.  Unfortunately UT is the only one who had to face more than 3 top flight offenses.  Bama only had to face Arky!  LSU at least faced WVU and Oregon.

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »

Hmmmm and here i thought it was all about wins and losses.   Oregon did just what against lsu?  got their ass handed to them.   WVU did just what against them?  they got some yards, but what was the final score?  Not even close.   You guys want to sit and argue when you guys are one of the worst defensive confs in the country.  Your highest ranked team defensive wise is texas and they are 54th!    It's ok though.  Just wait till next year right?  You guys can say you are the best conf again and see how that works for you.  :ksu:

The Hogs offense was out of sync due to numerous things other than what the jayhawks were doing.  I will admit your defense played above itself for a few plays but it had more to do with being out of sync than anything your defense was doing. They just replaced 5 coordinators!  The QB coach/ offensive coordinator and special teams coach.   The players weren't used to the new coaches just yet.  I will admit that the new DC we hired sure made you guys look like the pathetic team that you are though.  Hahaha..    Of course, all you had was a slow ass qb who isn't even as good as tebow was/is.       Just keep those 95th ranked recruiting classes coming in and maybe one day you can get a 3star to sign on and youll actually have some talent on your team.  Good luck with that though. :excited: :emawkid:

If the Big 12 is so bad, how did we go 6-2 in bowl games (best record of all conferences).  And that does not count WVU and TCU who both dominated their bowl games. 

Offline HogFoo

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
Oregon had several dumb turnovers against LSU.  LSU won and were the better team but let's not pretend that LSU D was the 2000 Baltimore Ravens or 1985 Bears.

Texas is 54th after playing the following offenses and defensing them better than pretty much anyone

OSU (better than WVU by far.  Remember WVU was in their first month of live action in the Air Raid after being a run-first team for several years and still hung 500 on LSU)
Baylor (#2 in the nation)
A&M (Hung 600+ on you)
Mizzou (Arkansas fans should remember Mizzou's offense after the 2008 Cotton Bowl)
OU (Got them before injuries depleted their offense)
Tech (Did as well or better offensively than Arkansas with 3 common foes (KSU, ATM, UNM))

Against teams with similar offenses to what the non-Arky SEC teams have... UT gave up much less.  UCLA, Cal, BYU, KSU, and ISU are very similar to Bama's foes other than arkansas offensively and UT gave up a meager 249 ypg and 15 ppg.   This average drops to 216 and 12 with KU and Rice added in.  UT's defense is only ranked low as a result of having to face elite offenses for almost half the schedule.  Even still they shut down MU and A&M as well as doing well per play against TT when backups gave up some late yards.

Make LSU play 4 more offenses like Oregon and WVU instead of WKU, Ole Miss, MSU, and UK.  I think the averages would be very similar.  Auburn's offense does not count... they are average at best and so is the UGA offense that struggled against a BSU team that TCU torched with a freshman QB. 

Texas, Bama, and LSU are 3 elite defenses this year.  Unfortunately UT is the only one who had to face more than 3 top flight offenses.  Bama only had to face Arky!  LSU at least faced WVU and Oregon.
Hmmm...  I tell you what.  Win your games and let's see what happens when the two conferences are matched up.   Yeah, i saw all i needed to see when the hogs defense, ranked 10th in the SEC completely dominated KSU.  You guys made us look like a bama'esque defense.   All of the weak 12 stats mean nothing in a league that doesnt play defense.  It's padding stats league.  Offensive stats that is because you haven't any defense.  We can sit and argue all day long about it, but the point is.  We won, You Lost.  We are better.  You are not.    How many times can this be said?  Apparently not enough.   :grin:   yeah,  the defenses in the SEC aren't that good.  I mean, surely not because, last time i looked the SEC has only won 6straight titles.  But, yeah, its riddled with teams that suck.   Maybe we can do better next year and win only our 7th title in a row.  But i'm sure we will suck  all the way to the title game.  Hey, my hogs are probably going to be there next year, maybe one of your weak12 teams can win enough games to qualify this year?   Hope so.     Just remember this moto "  Just wait till next year"   That's all you need to say as a ksu jayhawk fan.

Offline pondwater jack

• Boss. Highest Level.
  • Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • I come in piece
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »
"We'll get em next year!" Right Wildcats.  That how it goes for you guys? 
"We'll Get 'Em Next Year!"  (Kansas State Battle Cry- strikes fear of "Next Year" into the hearts of EVERY Memeber of the Big 12)

Offline #1stunna

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
No they won't.  Arkansas will be in a BCS bowl and KSU will be lucky to make it back to the Cotton Bowl.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »

If the Big 12 is so bad, how did we go 6-2 in bowl games (best record of all conferences).  And that does not count WVU and TCU who both dominated their bowl games. 

To be fair, if you want to count TCU and WVU for the Big 12, then you have to move A&M and MU's results to the SEC.

The New Big 12 went 6-2 with A&M and MU.  If you take out A&M and MU and add WVU and TCU, the New New Big 12 went 6-2.

The SEC went 6-3.  The New SEC went 8-3 with A&M and MU added in.

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »

For the first time in almost a decade, I am very optimistic about what the next season will bring.  (Preseason top-15 and all)

Offline HogFoo

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »

For the first time in almost a decade, I am very optimistic about what the next season will bring.  (Preseason top-15 and all)
Well there ya go.  Sounds like you have it figured out.   Yeah, i myself am excited about next season too.  Preseason #4 and all.  Plus very favorable schedule with bama and lsu at home.