Author Topic: Kid Fundraisers  (Read 5098 times)

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Kid Fundraisers
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »
I don't mind supporting the local elementary school getting more art supplies or new playground equipment, but gtfo with your daughter's 10 and under softball team fundraisers every other month. If your kid plays traveling sports then pay for them yourself, don't expect your coworkers to subsidize you're kids athletic pursuits, and if you can't afford it then sign them up for parks and rec league.

When my kids get to that age its going to be very tempting to just give them a fifty to donate to their school rather than making them pettle pancake feed tickets, but I feel like there is some moral lesson in there that they should learn, hard work, don't give up it'd ness, dedication? ??? what do other goemawers do?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Kid Fundraisers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
everyone should save all their money for whatever we decide the goEMAW fundraiser this year will be (also, this is now the official What Should The goEMAW Fundraiser of 2012 Be?  thread).

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »
everyone should save all their money for whatever we decide the goEMAW fundraiser this year will be (also, this is now the official What Should The goEMAW Fundraiser of 2012 Be?  thread).

I like to make bets with Trim over Kstate stuff on how much I throw in. Ex. 1. Trim if we land Perry Ellis i'll throw in another $20- Nope, denied. 2. Trim if we beat Miami i'll throw in another $20- Cha ching  :kstategrad:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
I don't mind supporting the local elementary school getting more art supplies or new playground equipment, but gtfo with your daughter's 10 and under softball team fundraisers every other month. If your kid plays traveling sports then pay for them yourself, don't expect your coworkers to subsidize you're kids athletic pursuits, and if you can't afford it then sign them up for parks and rec league.

When my kids get to that age its going to be very tempting to just give them a fifty to donate to their school rather than making them pettle pancake feed tickets, but I feel like there is some moral lesson in there that they should learn, hard work, don't give up it'd ness, dedication? ??? what do other goemawers do?

i don't mind the kids as much as i mind the adults. oh sure lady that i kind of work with but never talk to. i'd just love to donate some money to some cancer run thing that you are doing so that you can fly to seattle and do a marathon. good god.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »
your kid needs art supplies?  cool story bro, go buy some with your own money.

band needs some new instruments?  cool story bro, go buy some with your own money.

boy scouts want a new bow and arrow set up?  i don't give a crap.

if you can't afford to have kids, don't have them.  i pay enough taxes and crap already, without having to deal with the beggar parent tax on top of it.  

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
Yeah, we never peddle our kid's cookie dough, trash bags, whatevs the schools ask us to.  We just give them each some money and call it good.  I do the same for some of the neighbor kids.

Them: we are selling these liscens pla.......
Me: Here's $20
Them: that will get you two of the ....
Me: Don't want it.

Schools are getting crazy with it.  My daughter's has sold paper cut out of little birds for $5 for some awareness thing.  We just give her $20 and tell her not to bother anyone outside the family with that bullshit.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
your kid needs art supplies?  cool story bro, go buy some with your own money.

band needs some new instruments?  cool story bro, go buy some with your own money.

boy scouts want a new bow and arrow set up?  i don't give a crap.

if you can't afford to have kids, don't have them.  i pay enough taxes and crap already, without having to deal with the beggar parent tax on top of it.  

Slow clap  :thumbs:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »
Donation? No, denied
Selling crap I have to bake? No, denied
Selling a candy bar? Yes, approved
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kid Fundraisers
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »
A sensible workplace would ban this behavior.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
I sold trashbags as a youngster.  Got to participate in the "cash grab" (about 6 bucks in quarters) every year as a result.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
If the kid comes to the door selling trash bags, candy, bulbs, or girl scout cookies I buy them.  This is part of the neighborhood tax in my mind.  If an adult tries to sell me something for their kids I always say no.  Always. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »
i need to clarify, girl scout cookies don't count.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 03:55:14 PM »
i need to clarify, girl scout cookies don't count.

You like a good thin mint don't ya

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 05:26:19 PM »
peanut butter patties

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »

i don't mind the kids as much as i mind the adults. oh sure lady that i kind of work with but never talk to. i'd just love to donate some money to some cancer run thing that you are doing so that you can fly to seattle and do a marathon. good god.

Had a girl at work do this but NEVER ACTUALLY RAN THE MARATHON but never gave the $$ back.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:42 PM »

Had a girl at work do this but NEVER ACTUALLY RAN THE MARATHON but never gave the $$ back.

You should have taken her to small claims to teach her a lesson.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 12:02:54 AM »
Had some chick come by, trying to sell some stupid lithographs (or something) so she could raise money for some innercity kids something or other.  Gave her a twenty, she tried to get me to pick out with art deal I wanted.  I told her no, denied.  She insisted.  I said "Look, lady, I just want you to get off my porch."  She looked pretty bummed.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kid Fundraisers
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 07:29:55 AM »
I'm still pretty butthurt over the last batch of Trails End popcorn I "purchased."  Should have went with my gut, if the "scout" is accomanied by a 60 year old lady chain smoking Paul Malls, you ain't never seeing the popcorn.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
maybe this deserves it's own thread, but what about people at the office that ask for money to get a gift for someone's birthday or for a going away gift for someone leaving the company?  Seems like i get this emails 5-10 times a year, where the email about 50 people and say "if you want to donate money so we can get a nice gift for so and so, drop it off at my desk by this Friday".  I've had to work extra because so and so if leaving, now you want me to buy them a gift?  no.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 09:13:43 AM »
maybe this deserves it's own thread, but what about people at the office that ask for money to get a gift for someone's birthday or for a going away gift for someone leaving the company?  Seems like i get this emails 5-10 times a year, where the email about 50 people and say "if you want to donate money so we can get a nice gift for so and so, drop it off at my desk by this Friday".  I've had to work extra because so and so if leaving, now you want me to buy them a gift?  no.

people are always asking for money to buy this week's expectant mom a gift certificate at Babies-R-Us and i'm like, no.  go screw yourself, expectant mom.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 09:38:02 AM »

people are always asking for money to buy this week's expectant mom a gift certificate at Babies-R-Us and i'm like, no.  go screw yourself, expectant mom.

yeah that was the other big one.  got about 3 emails yesterday about someone that's leaving.  the last emails were to update everyone that they had enough money to secure the first gift, but were now taking money to get gift #2.  wtf is it Christmas?  look, my wife is expecting, and i'm trying not to let anyone around the office find out because if they get me something, they'll all expect me to send a big "thank you" card that they can hang up in the lunch room.  why?  how about everybody just worries about themselves, or give the person a gift if you'd like.  leave everyone else out of it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »
Personal Fav is when someone important in the company is doing this and has a deal where you can wear jeans for a week if you donate $20.  Always wore the jeans, never paid anything.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 09:52:12 AM »
Personal Fav is when someone important in the company is doing this and has a deal where you can wear jeans for a week if you donate $20.  Always wore the jeans, never paid anything.

:horrorsurprise:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 10:21:50 AM »
where do you people work? My god.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire