Author Topic: Well..at least Nebraska....  (Read 3404 times)

Offline zackole1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Well..at least Nebraska....
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
isn't an embarassment to the Big 12 anymore....

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
Re: Well..at least Nebraska....
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »

Almost as good as this one.   :lol:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »

I like this...it's like the next step after  :facepalm:

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »
same kid?

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:01:42 AM »
I've been a Nebraska Cornhusker fan pretty much all of my life.  Nebraska is my alma mater and I was lucky enough to have attended school there during 2 of their National Championships and live in Omaha for another.  Nebraska gave me 30 plus years of some great football memories and my fandom for NU grew stronger every year throughout their time in Big 8 and then most of the Big 12 and even after I left school and moved to Texas upon graduation.  But that all started to change over the last 2-3 years.

For starters, I admit that I have found myself less and less on board with the direction of the Nebraska program lately.  I was tolerant (at best) of Bo Pelini as our coach but more things throughout the football program have continued under his tenure that I just have a hard time getting behind.  I have found myself in increasing disagreement with so many things like player development, recruiting, coaching hires, playing time, dealings with the media/fan base, personnel choices, and on and on and on.  I don't want to get into details here as I really don't intend for this to be an ant-Nebraska thread, but at the end of the day it has taken the wind out of my sails as a fan over time.

In addition to that, when Nebraska moved to the Big 10, I was excited and I still believe that it was the best thing for them to do for the program.  What I underestimated was how removed it would make me personally as a fan of the program.  Living in Dallas, I didn't expect how much everything relating to Nebraska football shifting completely away from anywhere near Texas would impact me as a fan.  I found I really didn't care about the new teams on Nebraska's schedule and it was really hard to get up for games which used to happen so naturally.  The camaraderie and rivalries with opposing fans of other teams in/around Texas is gone.

So at the end of this season, I found myself at a bit of a crossroads.  Given that I have no control over who Nebraska hires as a coach, which players they play or where they play their games, I obviously can't change that side of things.  And given that I'm not moving anywhere near Big 10 country anytime soon, I can't change that part of things.  I was left with really only two options.  I could either live with my dissatisfaction and the team's displacement...or I could (gasp) find a new team.

Having been a loyal fan of only one team my entire sports fan life, the thought of switching teams seemed crazy at first.  It's just not in my makeup to even consider something like that.  There are a lot of bandwagon fans out there who jump from team to team and never really get behind one program for very long.  Well, I'm not one of them.  I'm an all or nothing kind of guy so this really seemed like an impossibility at first glance.  But the more I thought about it, the more I thought why not?  The last year or two have brought a time of a lot of changes in college football with all the conference realignment.  Some long standing rivalries are being sacrificed as programs do what is in the best interest of their schools moving forward.  I understand and support that as I know each school has to do what's best for them.  So why should I be any different as a fan?  Things have changed and will continue to change on the college football front and the circumstances for me are not the same as they used to be.  Why is it a rule set in stone that I just have to live with it even if I'm not happy about it?

So I started snooping around a little bit.  Didn't hurt to look, right?  I started researching several other college football programs and learning as much as I possibly could about them.  I looked at things like traditions, coaching staffs, recent success, history, facilities, location, booster support, conference, etc.  Admittedly, geographic proximity to Dallas was a big factor so even though I technically started with every team in college football, that list got whittled down to nearby teams pretty quickly (flirted with the like of Oregon, Stanford, etc for a brief stint but their location wouldn't do anything more for me than Nebraska being in the Big 10).  Other programs were such an automatic "no way in hell" that they were never really a consideration (i.e. Texas, Oklahoma, etc).  Almost by accident, a mental checklist of pros and cons for each program started to develop for me as I learned more about potential teams I may pick IF I actually decided to get behind a new team.  As time went on, one team consistently rose to the top of my list and I developed a bit of a fanatical obsession with them.  That team is the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS!!!

It still feels a little weird  to say.  But, as a pretty unbiased college football fan with a completely clean slate of basically every team in the NCAA from which to choose, from where I sit, the Hogs are a program on the rise and it quickly became undeniable to me that they are the perfect fit for my new team.  I hate the longhorns - Arkansas hates the longhorns.  I like to go to games - campus is only 4-5 hour drive away from Dallas.  I love Jerry World - Arkansas plays at least one game a year there (hope that doesn't change).  I think Petrino is one of the top 5-10 coaches in the country - the Hogs have CBP.  The SEC is the best conference...period - Arkansas is in the SEC.  I like winning - the Razorbacks are putting up back to back top-10 seasons and are poised for a top-5 next year.  BCS Bowls - the Hogs played in 1 last year and came very close again this year.  I could go on and on and on but you all have a lot to be very proud of with regard to the development of your program over the last few years and I'm now proud to say that I'm really excited to be part of it.

Bonus that it turned out I didn't have to wait very long to start my new venture.  Cotton Bowl at Jerry World against K State who I already hate from my Big 12 north days as a Nebraska fan.  Perfect fit and being the all or nothing type of guy that I am, I bought a bunch of Razorback gear and the best tickets to the Cotton Bowl I could find.  I also booked my hotel room for the Alabama game in 2012.  And I haven't been this excited about college football in a really long time!!!!

I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks now and absorbing as much information about the Hogs as possible.  I know I still have a lot to learn but it has been a fun process so far.  Looking forward to learning more, talking some sports, and being an Arkansas fan and board member who can make you all proud.

Thanks for everything and.....GO RAZORBACKS - BEAT K-STATE!!!!!!!

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Oh and I just couldn't wait to use this... ::hornsdown::

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »
Didn't get to watch this one but the grumblings around the office are that the refs cost Husk the game.  Real screw job from the sounds of it.  Also, South Carolina fans don't know how to win with class.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »
Didn't get to watch this one but the grumblings around the office are that the refs cost Husk the game.  Real screw job from the sounds of it.  Also, South Carolina fans don't know how to win with class.

Can confirm

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »

+1.

Also, the Lincoln, NE police hate the Huskers and the multiple arrests before the Bowl game distracted the team.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
I've been a Nebraska Cornhusker fan pretty much all of my life.  Nebraska is my alma mater and I was lucky enough to have attended school there during 2 of their National Championships and live in Omaha for another.  Nebraska gave me 30 plus years of some great football memories and my fandom for NU grew stronger every year throughout their time in Big 8 and then most of the Big 12 and even after I left school and moved to Texas upon graduation.  But that all started to change over the last 2-3 years.

For starters, I admit that I have found myself less and less on board with the direction of the Nebraska program lately.  I was tolerant (at best) of Bo Pelini as our coach but more things throughout the football program have continued under his tenure that I just have a hard time getting behind.  I have found myself in increasing disagreement with so many things like player development, recruiting, coaching hires, playing time, dealings with the media/fan base, personnel choices, and on and on and on.  I don't want to get into details here as I really don't intend for this to be an ant-Nebraska thread, but at the end of the day it has taken the wind out of my sails as a fan over time.

In addition to that, when Nebraska moved to the Big 10, I was excited and I still believe that it was the best thing for them to do for the program.  What I underestimated was how removed it would make me personally as a fan of the program.  Living in Dallas, I didn't expect how much everything relating to Nebraska football shifting completely away from anywhere near Texas would impact me as a fan.  I found I really didn't care about the new teams on Nebraska's schedule and it was really hard to get up for games which used to happen so naturally.  The camaraderie and rivalries with opposing fans of other teams in/around Texas is gone.

So at the end of this season, I found myself at a bit of a crossroads.  Given that I have no control over who Nebraska hires as a coach, which players they play or where they play their games, I obviously can't change that side of things.  And given that I'm not moving anywhere near Big 10 country anytime soon, I can't change that part of things.  I was left with really only two options.  I could either live with my dissatisfaction and the team's displacement...or I could (gasp) find a new team.

Having been a loyal fan of only one team my entire sports fan life, the thought of switching teams seemed crazy at first.  It's just not in my makeup to even consider something like that.  There are a lot of bandwagon fans out there who jump from team to team and never really get behind one program for very long.  Well, I'm not one of them.  I'm an all or nothing kind of guy so this really seemed like an impossibility at first glance.  But the more I thought about it, the more I thought why not?  The last year or two have brought a time of a lot of changes in college football with all the conference realignment.  Some long standing rivalries are being sacrificed as programs do what is in the best interest of their schools moving forward.  I understand and support that as I know each school has to do what's best for them.  So why should I be any different as a fan?  Things have changed and will continue to change on the college football front and the circumstances for me are not the same as they used to be.  Why is it a rule set in stone that I just have to live with it even if I'm not happy about it?

So I started snooping around a little bit.  Didn't hurt to look, right?  I started researching several other college football programs and learning as much as I possibly could about them.  I looked at things like traditions, coaching staffs, recent success, history, facilities, location, booster support, conference, etc.  Admittedly, geographic proximity to Dallas was a big factor so even though I technically started with every team in college football, that list got whittled down to nearby teams pretty quickly (flirted with the like of Oregon, Stanford, etc for a brief stint but their location wouldn't do anything more for me than Nebraska being in the Big 10).  Other programs were such an automatic "no way in hell" that they were never really a consideration (i.e. Texas, Oklahoma, etc).  Almost by accident, a mental checklist of pros and cons for each program started to develop for me as I learned more about potential teams I may pick IF I actually decided to get behind a new team.  As time went on, one team consistently rose to the top of my list and I developed a bit of a fanatical obsession with them.  That team is the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS!!!

It still feels a little weird  to say.  But, as a pretty unbiased college football fan with a completely clean slate of basically every team in the NCAA from which to choose, from where I sit, the Hogs are a program on the rise and it quickly became undeniable to me that they are the perfect fit for my new team.  I hate the longhorns - Arkansas hates the longhorns.  I like to go to games - campus is only 4-5 hour drive away from Dallas.  I love Jerry World - Arkansas plays at least one game a year there (hope that doesn't change).  I think Petrino is one of the top 5-10 coaches in the country - the Hogs have CBP.  The SEC is the best conference...period - Arkansas is in the SEC.  I like winning - the Razorbacks are putting up back to back top-10 seasons and are poised for a top-5 next year.  BCS Bowls - the Hogs played in 1 last year and came very close again this year.  I could go on and on and on but you all have a lot to be very proud of with regard to the development of your program over the last few years and I'm now proud to say that I'm really excited to be part of it.

Bonus that it turned out I didn't have to wait very long to start my new venture.  Cotton Bowl at Jerry World against K State who I already hate from my Big 12 north days as a Nebraska fan.  Perfect fit and being the all or nothing type of guy that I am, I bought a bunch of Razorback gear and the best tickets to the Cotton Bowl I could find.  I also booked my hotel room for the Alabama game in 2012.  And I haven't been this excited about college football in a really long time!!!!

I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks now and absorbing as much information about the Hogs as possible.  I know I still have a lot to learn but it has been a fun process so far.  Looking forward to learning more, talking some sports, and being an Arkansas fan and board member who can make you all proud.

Thanks for everything and.....GO RAZORBACKS - BEAT K-STATE!!!!!!!

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Oh and I just couldn't wait to use this... ::hornsdown::

If he really hates the longhorns he would have some satisfaction had be become a K-State fan.  He probably wouldn't pass the smell test though.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
There is also a portion where he mentions being obsessed with KSU hatred, so he makes a perfect pigaggie fan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »
“I’ll say it straight out, our football team feels we are better, even after the game, feels we were the better football team than them,” Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said. “You have to earn it. You give them credit.”

Swearinger was stunned by Pelini’s assessment.

“I mean, shoot, I don’t know what to say that,” South Carolina safety D.J. Swearinger said. “I really don’t. I really don’t. Thirty to 13, who’s ... I mean, I don’t have any words for that. Thirty to 13 is all I have to say.”

:sdeek:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
“I’ll say it straight out, our football team feels we are better, even after the game, feels we were the better football team than them,” Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said. “You have to earn it. You give them credit.”

“I mean, shoot, I don’t know what to say that,” South Carolina safety D.J. Swearinger said. “I really don’t. I really don’t. Thirty to 13, who’s ... I mean, I don’t have any words for that. Thirty to 13 is all I have to say.”

I miss him and them so bad.

Offline RightMeow

• Combo-Fan
  • Wind it on up and bet the farm!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
Why is Taylor Martinez still playing football there?  He should be throwing shotput out in Chadron or something. 
Is that Manhattan?  My God, it's beautiful!

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 01:46:22 PM »
Why is Taylor Martinez still playing football there?  He should be throwing shotput out in Chadron or something. 

He's more of a hang out in the parking lot at Lowes type of guy.

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »
http://www.examiner.com/nebraska-cornhuskers-in-lincoln/part-1-what-s-next-for-husker-football

Nothing I saw today has changed my mind about Nebraska and South Carolina. The Gamecocks are overrated. If they had played Nebraska’s schedule this season, they would have gone 8-4 at best. Not better than Wisconsin, not better than Michigan, or Michigan State. Keith Price and Washington could have hung 40+ on South Carolina.

Nebraska should have won the game. SC got some big breaks from the Zebras – Why do you wipe out a clipping penalty that TWO refs threw their flags on, and then follow it up with a phantom pass interference call that GAVE SC a touchdown and a 10-point lead? – and they also created some of their own (more on that in a minute) and won the Capital One Bowl. But the better team didn’t win.

The Huskers lost their composure as well – easy to do against a cocky, mouthy bunch of no class ‘Cocks.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »
i miss them so much

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 02:14:16 PM »
I think that examiner guy works at my office

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
you could set your watch to this crap

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
Bo is wasting his talent.  He could do so much in the right reality tv environ. 

I can't wait until Carl gets a mic stuck in his face ever sat afternoon next season.  Pelini v Pelini: Crazy Off will be fantastic.  Like, start-a-new-ESPN-show fantastic.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 02:39:59 PM »
Watching the 4th quarter of that game was priceless if you enjoy watching Bo go spitting ballistic and looking like an extra from Swamp People.  When he blew up after the pass interference call, and then busted an artery on a no-call, I thought "This will end up like Bob Stoops in the '03 CCG, focused on officiating, not the game". 

Bonus:  Watching the Nebraska fans boo the refs frequently after Bo should have keeled over from a heart attack.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »

The ESPN TV crew midway through the third quarter began openly mocking Pelini's sideline behavior due to his "volcanic tirade" he unleashed on an official.

Multiple personal foul penalites called on the Huskers, including a helmet to helmet tackle on the S. Carolina QB that nearly decapitated him.

At one point, Dennard was ejected from the game for fighting, and then stood on the sideline for another 10 minutes before exiting the field.

Great game.  So Nebraska on many levels.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:23:38 PM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »
the team truly takes on the personality of the coach

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
So did the 2 criminals end up playing (like I don't already know)

Offline Huskerpride

• Corn Hole'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »
isn't an embarassment to the Big 12 anymore....
It's good to see that KSU is STILL the embarassment to the Big 12. Way to let down the conference with that turd of a bowl game.

KSU is now officially the Dylan Meier of the Bowl season.

Don't forget 79-15-2    :surprised:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:25:01 AM by Huskerpride »