Author Topic: T Rob 30 pts. 21 reb. :ohno: :runaway:  (Read 2566 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
T Rob 30 pts. 21 reb. :ohno: :runaway:
« on: January 01, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »
Best player in America.  Unfortunately for him he's surrounded by a band of scrubs.  KUs bench was outscored by UND by a margin of 20-9.  All nine were scored by Teahan, and 6 of those nine were scored the last 5 minutes of the game.  The bench was 3-12, with 10 rebounds and 4 assists.  So for the "they're the favorites until someone else beats them" crowd, please tell me how they're going to win the conference with a 6 player rotation?

Oh yeah, when considering their bench "production" bear in mind the starting center played eight whole minutes.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: T Rob 30 pts. 21 reb. :ohno: :runaway:
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
please tell me how they're going to win the conference with a 6 player rotation?

missouri has a 6 player rotation.  or at least they should have, since they have 6 players that are much better than their 7th player.  baylor can play 9 guys if they want, but they only have 4 guards.

kstate is about the only deep team in the league.  but depth is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  it just tricks you into playing your best players less.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »
please tell me how they're going to win the conference with a 6 player rotation?

missouri has a 6 player rotation.  or at least they should have, since they have 6 players that are much better than their 7th player.  baylor can play 9 guys if they want, but they only have 4 guards.

kstate is about the only deep team in the league.  but depth is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  it just tricks you into playing your best players less.

I agree on depth for the most part with the exception of physical defense and foul trouble.  We are a team that depth could help immensely and the way we play, depth is probably important against us

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:06:43 PM »

kstate is about the only deep team in the league.  but depth is respect.  it just tricks you into playing your best players less.

I agree on depth for the most part with the exception of physical defense and foul trouble.  We are a team that depth could help immensely and the way we play, depth is probably important against us

I agree, depth matters for us. And if we can turn games vs KU or MU into brawls, especially inside, then it could matter for them too. Our Top 10 FT rate of nearly 50% means we draw a ton of fouls.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »

physical defense and foul trouble

Add injuries and anticipated attrition of a 18 game conference schedule with no byes.  

Depth matters.  Depth matters even more when you have starting guards with butter fingers and a starting center who even against non conference competition couldn't prove that he can stay on the court.

catzacker

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »

kstate is about the only deep team in the league.  but depth is respect.  it just tricks you into playing your best players less.

This. 

Also, depth is essentially a counter to not having enough above good players.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »

This. 

That's really really really really stupid.  KU has had depth for years.  Did Thomas Robinson suck last year and then became a monster just because Morrii got drafted?  This isn't a K-State thread no need for the eeyore act here.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:31:02 PM »
Best player in America.  Unfortunately for him he's surrounded by a band of scrubs.  KUs bench was outscored by UND by a margin of 20-9.  All nine were scored by Teahan, and 6 of those nine were scored the last 5 minutes of the game.  The bench was 3-12, with 10 rebounds and 4 assists.  So for the "they're the favorites until someone else beats them" crowd, please tell me how they're going to win the conference with a 6 player rotation?

Oh yeah, when considering their bench "production" bear in mind the starting center played eight whole minutes.

Going to be tough for Self to sabotage his lottery status this year.

catzacker

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:38:07 PM »

This. 

That's really really really really stupid.  KU has had depth for years.  Did Thomas Robinson suck last year and then became a monster just because Morrii got drafted?  This isn't a K-State thread no need for the eeyore act here.

there have been years when ku's depth hasn't been all that spectacular.  their frontline players, however, usually are.  If anything the reason why ku won't be as good of a team (althought that may not keep them from winning the league) is because of  Releford or Withey, not because of Teahan or Wesley.  You act like we're pulling Beasley off the bench or something. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »

This. 

You act like we're pulling Beasley off the bench or something. 

I am?  Odd you say that since I've yet to mention K-State or any other team other than KU.  I even pointed out to you that this isn't a K-State thread so you wouldn't ruin it by doing this.  Are you questioning that K-State has vastly superior depth than Kansas?

Also your first point was simply untrue.  Last year they were 10 deep.  In 09-10 they had 8 players who averaged at or near 20 mpg.  The year before that they had 9 players average over 15 mpg.  Their national championship season they went 10 deep.  The year before that 9 players deep.  That's their issue this year in the past under Self they've started guys who were very good players for them the year before, there has always been a natural progression.  This year they're playing two guys who had any relevance in previous seasons and one of them may actually be worse with the pressure of being the guy.  Again not a K-State thread, KU may win Wednesday night but they will not win this conference.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »
KU may win Wednesday night but they will not win this conference.

then who will?

ku is inferior to last year's ku team, no question.  but compare them to the rest of this year's big 12.  they look like the best team to me.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

catzacker

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »

This. 

I am?  Odd you say that since I've yet to mention K-State or any other team other than KU.  I even pointed out to you that this isn't a K-State thread so you wouldn't ruin it by doing this.  Are you questioning that K-State has vastly superior depth than Kansas?

Also your first point was simply untrue.  Last year they were 10 deep.  In 09-10 they had 8 players who averaged at or near 20 mpg.  The year before that they had 9 players average over 15 mpg.  Their national championship season they went 10 deep.  The year before that 9 players deep.  That's their issue this year in the past under Self they've started guys who were very good players for them the year before, there has always been a natural progression.  This year they're playing two guys who had any relevance in previous seasons and one of them may actually be worse with the pressure of being the guy.  Again not a K-State thread, KU may win Wednesday night but they will not win this conference.

if the question is whether or not ku will win the big 12 for "depth" reaons, then it's a comparative question, one that would require examining other schools (i.e. ksu).  this year's ku team doesn't look like previous ones, but that's because of their front line, not their bench.  baylor may win the big 12, so may MU.  But it will probably be because who's starting 5 is the best, not who has the best 8 man.  we're arguing the same thing, I suppose, just in  a different manner.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »

This. 

if the question is whether or not ku will win the big 12 for "depth" reaons, then it's a comparative question, one that would require examining other schools (i.e. ksu).  this year's ku team doesn't look like previous ones, but that's because of their front line, not their bench.  baylor may win the big 12, so may MU.  But it will probably be because who's starting 5 is the best, not who has the best 8 man.  we're arguing the same thing, I suppose, just in  a different manner.

Yeah we are because depth goes beyond your bench.  They have one guy who will be amazing always and like 3 or 4 who might be good sometimes.  Their third best player is either Spinal Johnson or Jeff Withey.  I love JO and Tay but if we had to lean on them as hard as KU will need to with Withey and Johnson we'd be on the NIT bubble.  A national player of the year candidate and a great coach are the only things this year are keeping KU relevant.  This will be Burrito Bill's best coaching job by far.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
I think a lot of people are going to be disappoint when our bigs do jack eff against ku.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
I think a lot of people are going to be disappoint when our bigs do jack eff against ku.

Just curious, what makes you think they will do jack eff?
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »

sans beasley, when was the last time a big man had a good game in lawrence?

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
Colon the next year.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 12:56:26 PM »

It is rare but that is also completely irrelevant.  What is relevant is that Robinson and Withey are both very good defensive players.
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

It is rare but that is also completely irrelevant.  What is relevant is that Robinson and Withey are both very good defensive players.

This.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »
Remember when Self went on about how much class Pullen had for not going for 40 against KU last year? And then he plays Robinson 36 minutes against North Dakota State to get those stats.  :confused:

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »

This.

Morris twins were supposedly decent defenders and got destroyed last year.  I think it comes to playing physical and getting T-Rob in foul trouble.  Withey was horrible in Bram last year but then again, so was their whole team

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 01:33:52 PM »
Remember when Self went on about how much class Pullen had for not going for 40 against KU last year? And then he plays Robinson 36 minutes against North Dakota State to get those stats.  :confused:
Self never said he himself is classy.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 03:18:59 AM »
many color commentators (including intelligent one such as laphonso ellis) constantly mention the importance of depth.   :dunno: