Author Topic: 2015 Recruiting thread, The Bread Basket  (Read 296321 times)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Recruiting thread
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2013, 08:45:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure Weber wants to continue to go with the 3G/SF/PF line up. I'm okay with that as long as it works.

_FAN, is Omari going to suck again?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure Weber wants to continue to go with the 3G/SF/PF line up. I'm okay with that as long as it works.

I don't think he's going to be a star. Hopefully he can give some quality minutes/depth, but that's about his ceiling.

For this team to be a tournament team, 2 returners have to be really good (Shane/Gip most likely), a couple returners have to be decent (Sprads/Nino/DJamer) and several of the young guards are going to have to play really well. The standard is having at least 2 guys that contend for all league 1st/2nd team, we'll see if we have that.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »

I don't think he's going to be a star. Hopefully he can give some quality minutes/depth, but that's about his ceiling.

For this team to be a tournament team, 2 returners have to be really good (Shane/Gip most likely), a couple returners have to be decent (Sprads/Nino/DJamer) and several of the young guards are going to have to play really well. The standard is having at least 2 guys that contend for all league 1st/2nd team, we'll see if we have that.

Will take.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »
FAN, didn't you or maybe Bread determine 3pt shooting % was one of the most consistent indicators of success for Weber?  Wasn't it like all the good teams were very close to 40% as a team and the bad ones were close to 30%. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
FAN, didn't you or maybe Bread determine 3pt shooting % was one of the most consistent indicators of success for Weber?  Wasn't it like all the good teams were very close to 40% as a team and the bad ones were close to 30%. 

Yeah, I put that together, Bread probably did something too. 35% or better is the target.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »

Yeah, I put that together, Bread probably did something too. 35% or better is the target.

This is probably true of most offenses, but when oscar doesn't have three-point shooters his teams struggle mightily to win games.  More than average I'd say.  His two worst records at Illinois (2007-08: 16-19 and 2011-12: 17-15) were also his two worst three-point shooting teams (31.9% and 30.4% respectively).  His next worst three-point shooting team was 2009-10 with 34.0%, which was the only other season he didn't make the tournament.  Fun fact, at Illinois if oscar's team shot below 34.9% from three they didn't make the tournament. 

The ksu purple go cats last season were at 36.2%, which was only bested by one of oscar's Illinois squads: 39.2% during the NC game season.  Point being, I haven't read of any of the incoming youngbloods being known as good outside shooters.  The primary reason that the wheels fell off for oscar on the court in his last season at Illinois was that he recruited a bunch of athletic guards that couldn't shoot the three well and that was with a lottery pick at center.  This would be my primary concern heading into next season for the fighting purples, just ahead of lack of height and depth in the paint.

:users:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2013, 11:35:14 AM »

This is probably true of most offenses, but when oscar doesn't have three-point shooters his teams struggle mightily to win games.  More than average I'd say.  His two worst records at Illinois (2007-08: 16-19 and 2011-12: 17-15) were also his two worst three-point shooting teams (31.9% and 30.4% respectively).  His next worst three-point shooting team was 2009-10 with 34.0%, which was the only other season he didn't make the tournament.  Fun fact, at Illinois if oscar's team shot below 34.9% from three they didn't make the tournament. 

The ksu purple go cats last season were at 36.2%, which was only bested by one of oscar's Illinois squads: 39.2% during the NC game season.  Point being, I haven't read of any of the incoming youngbloods being known as good outside shooters.  The primary reason that the wheels fell off for oscar on the court in his last season at Illinois was that he recruited a bunch of athletic guards that couldn't shoot the three well and that was with a lottery pick at center.  This would be my primary concern heading into next season for the fighting purples, just ahead of lack of height and depth in the paint.

:users:

Apologies Mr. Bread, that was a clear post. I thought I remembered talking about it at some point in the past, but I can't find the post.

While looking around for something I did review this thread and was reminded how much I enjoy talking basketball and advanced stats with my gE brethren. Good stuff, I hope we have some positive stuff to talk about this year when I start putting out the Big 12 ADV stats.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »
This season is going to be rough for the cats and the illini compared to last season.  The cats obviously face the bigger drop, but both will be worse.  I think Illinois might be really bad.  Like not even NIT. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »
This season is going to be rough for the cats and the illini compared to last season.  The cats obviously face the bigger drop, but both will be worse.  I think Illinois might be really bad.  Like not even NIT. 

True, but I'll still post the numbers and talk hoops. Mediocrity has never stopped me before!

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »

If the 3pt% stat is any indication, we're going to be f'n horrible.  Unless our freshmen are miraculously really good from deep. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
foster's % should be ok, unless he has to shoot more than he really should.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2013, 11:14:53 PM »

Illinois has a whole lot more upside tho.  At least you're moving in the right direction. 
@lopakman

Offline oodfan

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
HCBW in Cunningham Friday before our game in Wichita.  Watching Claws?  St. John small forward 6'7 180 lbs.  Rivals has him 3 stars, and being recruited by WSU and us.  Anyone know anything about him?  Had 21 pts in their 78-26 win.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
HCBW in Cunningham Friday before our game in Wichita.  Watching Claws?  St. John small forward 6'7 180 lbs.  Rivals has him 3 stars, and being recruited by WSU and us.  Anyone know anything about him?  Had 21 pts in their 78-26 win.

You'd have to think the big win against the Gonzos will result in a recruiting winfall. But what do I nose?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
JFC, we're now in Cunningham recruiting a player from St. John's :frown:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »

wait, just when i get done googling where Cunningham is you're telling me i now have to look up St. John's?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »

wait, just when i get done googling where Cunningham is you're telling me i now have to look up St. John's?

We're going to send Chet to the 1A-3A central kansas all star game to seal the deal

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2013, 11:14:57 PM »

We're going to send Chet to the 1A-3A central kansas all star game to seal the deal

:'bye cruel world:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »
Ron Baker came from Scotty City, KS. So like maybe shut your fat faces, dork stores.

Offline illBisonYourdele

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »

ill reserve judgement til someone tells me which summer league team he plays with.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »

ill reserve judgement til someone tells me which summer league team he plays with.

http://www.leavenworthtimes.com/article/20130423/blogs/130429689/0/BLOGS

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Ron Baker came from Scotty City, KS. So like maybe shut your fat faces, dork stores.

Cool that's good.  The one good player from small town western Kansas the last 20 players is absolutely the rule not the exception. Forget about the thousands that top out as college intramural also rans. Hey Jacy Holloway was from Moundridge, Brandy Perryman was from garden city, clearly this kid is a ditr stud.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »

Cool that's good.  The one good player from small town western Kansas the last 20 players is absolutely the rule not the exception. Forget about the thousands that top out as college intramural also rans. Hey Jacy Holloway was from Moundridge, Brandy Perryman was from garden city, clearly this kid is a ditr stud.
Very ugly. His siater too :sdeek:

Offline FranklyFrankYou

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
Jackie Stiles went to the WNBA!

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »