Author Topic: Our offense is stupid  (Read 6788 times)

Offline one/64th

• Fan
    • View Profile
Our offense is stupid
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »
So we have a giant beast (Big Gip) who could post up any 2 players from the other team that he wanted and yet we are running cutters off of him at the elbow.  So you end up with Jamar and Gip up top with Spradling and Angel/Tay on the low block.  WTF is this?!?!  We would have won this game by 25 pts if we would have run the Northern Hill Junior High "Carolina" offense that I ran in 8th grade.  Get the ball to the wing, feed the post and crash the boards on the back side. 

Yeah yeah, it's all about getting better and getting ready for conference play.  It's also about winning games.  And God knows that our guards could certainly use some practice on post entry passes.  That is all. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: Our offense is stupid
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »
oh man
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
oh man

Yeah, this could be fun.

Also in the preseason Frank mentioned that we would be trying a mix of his old offense and Underwood's pinch post/triangle stuff. We've pretty much gone excluse Underwood.

Offline one/64th

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »
oh man

Yeah, this could be fun.

Also in the preseason Frank mentioned that we would be trying a mix of his old offense and Underwood's pinch post/triangle stuff. We've pretty much gone excluse Underwood.

Do you think Frank has realized that he knows nothing about how to score the basketball so he just runs whatever Undies wants?  Although, I sat right behind the bench for this game and Unds suggested running something different multiple times to which Frank said  :dubious:

Gipson is not Curtis Kelly.  So why run the offense through him at the elbow? 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
oh man

Yeah, this could be fun.

Do you think Frank has realized that he knows nothing about how to score the basketball so he just runs whatever Undies wants?  Although, I sat right behind the bench for this game and Unds suggested running something different multiple times to which Frank said  :dubious:

He has good hands and seems like a decent passer?

He may not be able to shoot it from 15 (yet), but I don't see any reason why we can't run offense the way we are; its not like we aren't getting Gip plenty of touches with space available in the lane. Plenty of times on ball rotations he is able to get good offensive position where we want him to catch it.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 02:07:08 PM »
IMHO the biggest problem with our offense right now is we aren't hitting open 3s/jump shots, especially since we generate plenty of decent looks. It makes it really tough to keep teams from putting extra people in the lane when you are shooting 27% as a team from behind the arc. It really hurts when three of your four guards with the most attempts are shooting 24%, 21% and 14% (Irving/McGruds/Angel) from 3. Until that changes, our offense is going to continue to look ugly.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
oh man

Yeah, this could be fun.

He may not be able to shoot it from 15 (yet), but I don't see any reason why we can't run offense the way we are; its not like we aren't getting Gip plenty of touches with space available in the lane. Plenty of times on ball rotations he is able to get good offensive position where we want him to catch it.

he's a very good passer.  why not run the offense through him at the high post?  especially if he is the most effective weapon on the court for this team. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »
One major factor that tends to help out most teams on the offensive side of the floor is the recruitment, signing and subsequent playing of very good basketball players.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
oh man

Yeah, this could be fun.

_FAN -- lbbiq question here -- Since they're running an offense similar to last year, any clue why haven't they had Sprads occasionally attempt to play the role of Pullen by bringing him off of screens to get him open looks at 3s?  He's clearly not the offensive weapon that Pullen was, but he's nearly the only one even drawing rim when shooting 3s at this point.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 02:22:09 PM »
_FAN -- lbbiq question here -- Since they're running an offense similar to last year, any clue why haven't they had Sprads occasionally attempt to play the role of Pullen by bringing him off of screens to get him open looks at 3s?  He's clearly not the offensive weapon that Pullen was, but he's nearly the only one even drawing rim when shooting 3s at this point.

I think right now Frank is mainly just running offense in continuity most of the game. Its only in late game situations where he runs sets to get shots, like the ones for McGruder and one for Sprads late against WV and a couple more for Sprads late against NFlor. As the rotation tightens and when we need shots we'll see more sets to generate for those guys, especially against better opponents.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »
kstate fed gipson in the low post yesterday in a way seldom seen in modern college bball.  are you complaining that they used more shot clock that you'd have preferred?

i thought kstate used a lot of martin's old o against wvu, but maybe i was confused from all of wvu's zone.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »
Two things that drive me up a wall:

1. General poor lack of spacing offensively.

2. Not finishing chippies/missing or not taking wide open looks.

I was losing it when WVU went 1-3-1 on us and apparently none of our players could recognize the zone or have any idea what to do. (go to the middle of the zone- high post). And miraculously, once we got the ball to the high post or got inside the zone through driving we were able to get baskets, we finally got WVU out of the zone.

I don't think that Angel will continue to struggle this bad from 3. Spradling has been about what I expected. I did expect him to shoot a bit better so far this season, but I was very impressed by his assist numbers last game.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »
We can't rely on guards making jumpshots all year, especially against someone like a Mizzou team that has no inside presence.

Offline one/64th

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »
As far as using Gipson at the high post.....he's a back to the basket kind of guy.  He may turn into a face up guy but he's not right now.  Jamar is a better face up guy but he never/rarely got the ball at the high post.  And you're right, it certainly does not help that our guards can't make ANYTHING...including layups.  Spacing is definitely and issue and so is shot making.  But we'd put ourselves in a much better position if we ran an offense tailored to our strengths.  And this one is not it...IMHO.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »

does the fball team's poor spacing also drive you crazy?  it's the same concept.

I was losing it when WVU went 1-3-1 on us and apparently none of our players could recognize the zone or have any idea what to do. (go to the middle of the zone- high post).

kstate's zone offense was fine.  more than fine.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »
Two things that drive me up a wall:

2. Not finishing chippies/missing or not taking wide open looks.

I was losing it when WVU went 1-3-1 on us and apparently none of our players could recognize the zone or have any idea what to do. (go to the middle of the zone- high post). And miraculously, once we got the ball to the high post or got inside the zone through driving we were able to get baskets, we finally got WVU out of the zone.

I don't think that Angel will continue to struggle this bad from 3. Spradling has been about what I expected. I did expect him to shoot a bit better so far this season, but I was very impressed by his assist numbers last game.

I'd be willing to bet that we didn't kick more than one possession after WVU went to that 1-3-1.  I actually think WVU made a mistake by going to it when they did.  Obviously Gipson torched them when they went to it, but it slowed K-State down in a time where IMO they could have been sped up & forced into mistakes.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »
This team runs it set better than last years team. Players are still making bad reads on the pinch/post

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
I would love a decent guard iso like UNF and WVU ran a train on us with.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 07:06:40 PM »

does the fball team's poor spacing also drive you crazy?  it's the same concept.

I was losing it when WVU went 1-3-1 on us and apparently none of our players could recognize the zone or have any idea what to do. (go to the middle of the zone- high post).

this is just another thread for outing dumbshits, sys.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 07:17:16 PM »

Yeah, in general our offense has looked pretty good most of the time. Its amazing how much the concept of bad offense shows up when you simply don't hit shots, which is pretty much what we are doing. Almost every measurable number is in line with (or better than) what you would expect from a Frank offense except 3 point shooting right now.

Plus this has a chance to be perhaps Frank's best defensive team. Really if we can just start hitting shots at a reasonable clip (and its not outlandish to expect the shooting % to come back up to the norm, ~35%) this team will be fine.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »
Do think this team will have problems with big guards again.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 07:34:16 PM »

i don't think of cas as a dumbshit, is my problem.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 07:34:57 PM »

cas has always been awful x and o poster(no offense cas) but if you want to hear re-grumbled garbage that you here from analysts or some other dumb asses then boom he's your guy.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »

i don't think of cas as a dumbshit, is my problem.

Me too, sys. Me, too.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »
One major factor that tends to help out most teams on the offensive side of the floor is the recruitment, signing and subsequent playing of very good basketball players.

Is it just me, or is dax pretty much mailing his LBIQ contributions in at this point? He used to put some effort into it.

And why anyone would "lose it" when we were shredding WVU's 1-3-1 is beyond me. That was the best our O has looked all year.