Author Topic: HBBIQ Question  (Read 12403 times)

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
Re: HBBIQ Question
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 10:06:19 AM »
So let me get this straight.

After 28 or so games, the Frosh still don't know where to go or what to do in Frank Martin's highly complex stand around offense??

Fascinating. 

Go ask Rick Barnes or Jeff Capel about Freshmen.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 10:20:02 AM »

After 28 or so games, the Frosh still don't know where to go or what to do in Frank Martin's highly complex stand around offense??

Fascinating. 

that's what Frank said

catzacker

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 10:23:19 AM »
kind of dislike that Wally didn't get minutes A&M, @NU, CU, @OU, @TT...those were games where we beat the opponent by double digits (all were 15 or more) and yet he only got 10 minutes once (@NU), though he had 4 fouls in the A&M game, the rest of those games he had 0 or 1 foul.  you're telling me that we can't sneak him in and get some real experience in those games?  Maybe then he won't be so lost on offense?  Maybe then he gets a bit tougher or more aggressive?  Can't really treat him like a veteran pinch hitter.

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 10:23:49 AM »

Fascinating. 

Or John Calipari, right?  :jerk:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »

Fascinating. 

houston must be so boring.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 10:26:44 AM »
kind of dislike that Wally didn't get minutes A&M, @NU, CU, @OU, @TT...those were games where we beat the opponent by double digits (all were 15 or more) and yet he only got 10 minutes once (@NU), though he had 4 fouls in the A&M game, the rest of those games he had 0 or 1 foul.  you're telling me that we can't sneak him in and get some real experience in those games?  Maybe then he won't be so lost on offense?  Maybe then he gets a bit tougher or more aggressive?  Can't really treat him like a veteran pinch hitter.

Can't really argue with that.  Frank had his reasons, but it would've made sense to get him a few more minutes in those games.

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »

Fascinating. 

Houston is nice. But I couldn't miss the meltdown around here.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 10:29:50 AM »

Kentucky?

I'm not trying to argue one way or the other, but its not like playing freshman is an obvious mistake.

Edit: Sorry, I was should have kept reading.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 10:31:19 AM »
Houston is nice. But I couldn't miss the meltdown around here.

i think we actually meltdown better after close victories over nortards or noncons than ku losses.  it's kinda pathetic.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »

Fascinating. 

Houston is nice.

I don't know a single person that agrees with that.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »

Fascinating. 

Smooth offense is as much about feel as it is knowledge.  Knowing where you and your teammates need to be/will be is not quite the same thing as feeling where and when they will be.  

Once you reach that level of comfort with the set of guys that will be getting most of the minutes, you can anticipate some minor changes or reactions they will make.  Makes for a better, smoother offense.

I think the Frosh are lacking this.  

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »

Fascinating. 

Smooth offense is as much about feel as it is knowledge.  Knowing where you and your teammates need to be/will be is not quite the same thing as feeling where and when they will be. 

Once you reach that level of comfort with the set of guys that will be getting most of the minutes, you can anticipate some minor changes or reactions they will make.  Makes for a better, smoother offense.

I think the Frosh are lacking this. 

Frank's offensive base is sets and then read and react to the defense off of those sets.  It takes time and playing together a lot to get that. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 10:40:16 AM »
It wasn't a rhetorical question per se.    :facepalm:

Why are the Frankites so defensive . . . particularly JMart?

uh, jeffrey called out the freshmen can't win theory.  admittedly, probably just to attack barnes, with capel and martin as inadvertent casualties.

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 10:43:25 AM »

I was just objecting to the freshman thing. In this instance, I was disagreeing with Frank, but he knows more about the topic than I do. Please, continue meltdown-ing.

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »

uh, jeffrey called out the freshmen can't win theory.  admittedly, probably just to attack barnes, with capel and martin as inadvertent casualties.

sys knows me well.  :blush:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
kind of dislike that Wally didn't get minutes A&M, @NU, CU, @OU, @TT...those were games where we beat the opponent by double digits (all were 15 or more) and yet he only got 10 minutes once (@NU), though he had 4 fouls in the A&M game, the rest of those games he had 0 or 1 foul.  you're telling me that we can't sneak him in and get some real experience in those games?  Maybe then he won't be so lost on offense?  Maybe then he gets a bit tougher or more aggressive?  Can't really treat him like a veteran pinch hitter.
there's few things i dislike about frank but one of those things is that I don't think he allows his younger players a chance to grow and develop on the floor, in game time.  we just have to accept it b/c it won't change.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 10:47:19 AM »

Small plug, but was there any discussion of this?

http://blogs.chron.com/ncaatournament/2010/03/different_priorities_for_uts_barnes.html?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »
What a bunch of bullshit in this thread.  This is a LBBIQ topic.  If you can't get on the floor for Frank, you suck.  End of story.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
And the counter is .  . . that's irrelevant.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »
This is another place where the mafia references to Frank are appropriate; when it comes to PT for Frank, a big key is earning his trust.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »
There's a lot more to an offense than just knowing how it works and where you need to be on the floor.  Anyone can learn an offense, go through the motions, and be a robot. But, great offensive players know how to read screens and look for secondary options.  That's something the freshmen usually take a little longer to pick up on.  You have to figure these guys probably scored points in high school mostly off superior athleticism.  It's an adjustment now for them.  Learning how to create and move without the ball is important and takes some time. 

Now, I don't know for sure if that's what Frank is referring to, but I'm guessing it's a part of it.  And, I think it's pretty ignorant to assume that our freshman simply don't know the offense.  There's a lot more to it than that.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »

I was just objecting to the freshman thing. In this instance, I was disagreeing with Frank, but he knows more about the topic than I do. Please, continue meltdown-ing.

Yeah, Wall and Cousins are the rule.  Bradley, Brown, Hamilton, Mason-Griffon, Gallon, McGruder, and Judge are the exceptions.

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »

I need some stats to back up your assertion, man. Gimme some stats.

Yeah, Wall and Cousins are the rule.  Bradley, Brown, Hamilton, Mason-Griffon, Gallon, McGruder, and Judge are the exceptions.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »
Yes, I always like the "he sucks, but he still plays" method.   :thumbsup:

The thread topic is:  given that we're going to play someone that sucks, why can't it be my favorite player?  You know who he is.  He's the guy in the bullpen.  The backup quarterback.  The guy on the bench.  I like him better because, even though he sucks as much or more as the other guy, I haven't personally seen it.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »

I need some stats to back up your assertion, man. Gimme some stats.

My turn:
 :jerk: