Author Topic: Many tucks seem highly upset  (Read 10100 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: Many tucks seem highly upset
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »
It's more difficult to win a national title in basketball than it is in football.  And go ahead and root for the Slavers... no one from KU wants your support anyways. 

In basketball you get a whole season to fine tune your team to make a run. That run is very hard, but you don't have to be the best team all year to win the title. Just the best team for a few weeks.

Football is different.

UCONNs don't win football titles, they win basketball ones though.

Auburn's don't win basketball titles, they win football ones though.

:flush:

Auburn has a Helms trophy
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »
It's more difficult to win a national title in basketball than it is in football.  And go ahead and root for the Slavers... no one from KU wants your support anyways. 

:flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »

In basketball you get a whole season to fine tune your team to make a run. That run is very hard, but you don't have to be the best team all year to win the title. Just the best team for a few weeks.

Football is different.

Winning the toughest conference and cheating? I'm pretty sure that happens in basketball too. So I don't get your point.

UConn won the toughest conference and cheated as well.  The point is that different teams are good at different sports.  It doesn't really have any relevance when it comes to which sport is more difficult to win a national title in. 

Check my math on this one, but 68 teams have an actual chance to win a NC in basketball.  2 teams have an actual chance in football.  Since the creation of the BCA and its successor the BCS there's one NC in each.  

Seems like it's mathematically easier to win one in basketball.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 11:07:02 PM »

Football is different.

Winning the toughest conference and cheating? I'm pretty sure that happens in basketball too. So I don't get your point.

UConn won the toughest conference and cheated as well.  The point is that different teams are good at different sports.  It doesn't really have any relevance when it comes to which sport is more difficult to win a national title in. 

My point was that UCONN turned it on at the end and won it all. You can't do that in football. You have to have it on every week, generally, to even be in consideration for a FB national title. The journey to a Bball title is much more thrilling and a more enjoyable ride, because there are more games, etc. In the moment, I'd rather be on the ride to a Bball NC. However, when you look back, there are less rewards in football. A bowl win is not equal to a final four, elite eight, etc. You get points for almost getting a NC in basketball, doesn't happen in football. You get upset in the tourney and it's oh well, we got our elite eight!!!!! you get upset in football and it's goodbye national title hopes. The act of winning the tournament and winning a single NC football game are different animals. It's like the tournament equals the football regular season. The NC game being the NC game for football and basketball. However in basketball you have a whole season to get ready for the tournament. Football you have to be ready from the first game.

If it were easier to win a NC in football, the SEC wouldn't be dominating right now.

Edited: for bolding my favorite point. :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:08:56 PM by Sundance_Kid »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 11:37:24 PM »
Why is the little validation engine that could effing my thread about Gus Johnson?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 01:23:38 AM »
In basketball, you have to win six games in a row in a single elimination tournament.  In football, all you have to do is hover around 12-0/11-1/10-2, and you've got a shot to play for it all in one final game.  It's honestly not even close. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 05:13:26 AM »
Congrats Beems . . . I agree, if you only play 1 final Top 25 team during the course of 2 regular seasons and you've got a pretty good team, it should be pretty easy to "hover" around 11 or 12-1.   

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 06:12:46 AM »
Beems is a dumbass its infinitely harder to win a fb championship.  The force has been strong with him lately

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 08:11:58 AM »
A BCS bowl win is the football equivalent of advancing to the Sweet 16 in basketball. A Big 12 Conference Championship, especially in the new "depleted" (though now much, much tougher) Big 12 is the equivalent of a Big East regular season conference championship in basketball. The conference championship is more impressive. I would only trade one for a national championship. Just getting to the BCS is only a nice consolation.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 10:52:13 AM »
In basketball, you have to win six games in a row in a single elimination tournament.  In football, all you have to do is hover around 12-0/11-1/10-2, and you've got a shot to play for it all in one final game.  It's honestly not even close. 

Translation = "KU has won a basketball NC, therefore it is harder.  KU has not won a Big XII title in football, but has been to a BCS bowl, therefore, it is more prestigious and better. If you disagree, I will call you hayseed"

Offline username

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 01:34:51 PM »
QX4, your phog is showing.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »
Winning six straight games in a single elimination tournament is infinitely more difficult than winning one game at the end of the season.  I mean it's not even close. 

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
Winning six straight games in a single elimination tournament is infinitely more difficult than winning one game at the end of the season.  I mean it's not even close. 

No doubt

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=273282305

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »
Winning six straight games in a single elimination tournament is infinitely more difficult than winning one game at the end of the season.  I mean it's not even close.  

how the eff do you get to that game dumbass

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
plus, you have to be good the year before, plus you have to play a good schedule and beat your schedule by a bunch of points to have the best chance.

Then, the sports writers might not even let you play for it.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
At the end of the year there is one champion in both sports. They're both rough ridin' difficult. eff you all for being so stupid.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
between that and wanting a bcs game over a big xii championship, i've never been more embarassed to share emaw with them.

Big 12 championship = regional accomplishment

BCS Bowl = national accomplishment 

But yeah, finishing with a share of a depleted Big 12 title would just be amazing. 

Yes, finishing with a share of the Big 12 title is far more impressive. It is more difficult to win the Big 12 than it is to go to a BCS Bowl.

Good point.  For Example:   

K-State two Fiesta's, only one Dr. Pepper
KU one (can't remember, but I think they made one once in some controversy) v. never even sniffed the Dr. Pepper

Except it's two Fiesta's and TWO Dr. Pepper's (only I think one was called Southwestern Bell and one was called AT&T), but I get your point....

uk sucks at getting into any bowl games, especially the elite ones.
bears are fast...

Offline doingwork

• Fan
  • I live in TX to keep a close eye on the enemy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 02:41:52 PM »
Winning six straight games in a single elimination tournament is infinitely more difficult than winning one game in the depleted conference.  I mean it's not even close. 

fyp
:ksu:

Offline username

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 03:14:35 PM »
beaverhawk is just mad that during the best season in ku fball history not even a single jayhawk got a taste of the sweet, sweet 23 flavors of dr. pepper

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 03:18:21 PM »

"You don't want to win the Big XII, a football national championship is easier than basketball"

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
Winning six games, in a single elimination tournament, is more hard than essentially going through a 12 or 13 game season undefeated.

So winning 6 games is more difficult than 12?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
plus, you have to be good the year before, plus you have to play a good schedule and beat your schedule by a bunch of points to have the best chance.

Then, the sports writers might not even let you play for it.

don't forget that unless you go undefeated, you have to be ranked high in the preseason poll, too.  A one loss team has ZERO shot at a title unless they were ranked to start the season. So you basically have to be really good for two straight seasons.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »
So I watched the replay last night of the Texas game (kept me up to 2:30). I always turn the sound down when watching the Cats because I think all announcers suck and are front-runners. But listening last night, I didn't think Gus was bad.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
So I watched the replay last night of the Texas game (kept me up to 2:30). I always turn the sound down when watching the Cats because I think all announcers suck and are front-runners. But listening last night, I didn't think Gus was bad.

I watched it too. The only thing overly pro texas was him being critical of some calls and Sheldon Smiths catch before the end of the 1st half. Really nothing to see here.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 05:35:55 PM »
Gus seems to fit better with basketball.  He gets into the flow.  The stop and start of Football just doesn't work as well for him.