Author Topic: Honest thoughts about trying to get KU to drop their football program  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I know it probably isn't realistic, but i have to think that they are losing money in that sport (on top of it being an embarasment) and with kansas state university graduates in pretty much all of the "state" power positions, is now the time to get it done? Thoughts?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
Re: Honest thoughts about trying to get KU to drop their football program
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:17:03 AM »
I wonder how much the recliners will go for in the liquidation auction  :excited:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »
Well, I wish I could say that this is just a pipe dream (BIG Gale Riggins fan as a kid), because I do enjoy watching the Hawks take to the gridiron.  But, where there is smoke....

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
do we write congressmen or just have currie throw an offer out? both? either/neither? don't think this has ever been done before, so there isn't exactly a blueprint.  :dunno:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:35:02 AM »
Well, there has been talk about KU taking Men's basketball, and us taking football, women's basketball, and volleyball.  The olympic sports would obviously stay with KU.

Word is that most of the contention is about Men's golf.  HUGE pissing match between Jim Colbert and that bald kid that played golf at KU that was sort of decent for a bit.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 12:45:41 AM »
do we write congressmen or just have currie throw an offer out? both? either/neither? don't think this has ever been done before, so there isn't exactly a blueprint.  :dunno:

I hear Big Lew is doing consulting these days, might have Currie give him a call

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 01:25:53 AM »
honestly, they really are awful. it's pretty crazy how we totally defused that three year period where mangino had them rolling. thank god.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »
Bernadette Gray-Little is the perfect president to pitch this idea to.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »
mods, I think Jack Harry has kidnapped daris and taken over his goEMAW account.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:52:53 AM »
hard to believe there's not a lot more national buzz about turner gill and how bad ku is doing this season.

except no one outside of lawrentucky even knew ku had a football team.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:54:51 AM »
it would be in their best interest to accept their position as a Memphis type school (only with less bb prestige and no fb team).
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
do we write congressmen or just have currie throw an offer out? both? either/neither? don't think this has ever been done before, so there isn't exactly a blueprint.  :dunno:

We could ask Wichita State how they did it. I think it was something to do with not being able to afford all their extra planes. IIRC, there used to be 3 DI (FBS) teams in Kansas, but now there are 2 (sort of, I guess). Seems like a natural progression to move down to 1.
:lynchmob:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:32:22 AM by 8manpick »
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
hard to believe there's not a lot more national buzz about turner gill and how bad ku is doing this season.

except no one outside of lawrentucky even knew ku had a football team.

i was in florida last weekend visiting some relatives and my cousin had a bunch of friends over for the game. i was talking to a couple of them about kstate and conferences and things like that and then brought up how bad ku was. they were kind of puzzled and were like "i thought kansas was having a good year. LHC Bill Snyder. the wildcats. etc." i had to explain to them that there were two schools in the state and one was us "wildcats" and the other was the "jayhawks". they had literally never heard of ku or the jayhawks and thought kansas only had one school that played football and it was the wildcats. that's what got me thinking about this idea in the first place.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:50:14 AM »
honestly, they really are awful. it's pretty crazy how we totally defused that three 1 and a half year period where mangino had them rolling. thank god.

fyp

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
For those of you not banned (all three of you), this needs to be linked to our socially inept and smelly friends on phog.net. There needs to be a serious discussion about this across the state of Kansas.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »
Our friends to the east believe that football should be consolidated at ku because the existence of the K-State program has held them back in terms of division of resources, in-state talent, etc.  They'd be a national powerhouse except for us.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 11:22:06 AM »
For those of you not banned (all three of you), this needs to be linked to our socially inept and smelly friends on phog.net. There needs to be a serious discussion about this across the state of Kansas.

I will accept this task for the good of the great state of Kansas.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »
i have a friend in the athletic dept who told me that there were serious discussions w/in the BOR during conference realignment stuff that they considered asking ku to drop football. apparently the BOR lacks the ability to force them to do anything but from what my friend said it would have been a "highly suggested or else" type scenario . i'd say b+ source.

my point is, let's not wait for crap to hit the fan again. let's just try to kill it so we don't have to worry about what ifs and stuff down the road in case things get rocky again.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »
I don't know if they have to drop football, just accept they are FCS level and can go toe-to-toe with North Dakota schools and such but stay away from the big boys.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
true story- there's an old man that used to live in my neighborhood.  everyone called him the colonel.  huge ku fan.  after he served time in the korean war, he moved back to the kc area and although he never attended ku, he was a huge supporter.  he hated ku football and never went to any games.  he did go to every basketball game and i don't think he ever missed a single game of theirs.  anyways, he died a while back from a heart attack. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
I think you just described half their fan base, except for the Korean War vet thing (and that would be my uncle, although he's still alive and lives in Topeka).

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
kstate and ku will never both get into a good conference together considering how crap of a program their fball team is. we have to think outside the box. some of you might think this is really stupid but honestly just hear me out and think about it for a minute...

what if we have snyder go coach their fball program as a precaution for the next five to ten years. we've already proved that we can win with crap coaches. bowl game and top5 wins under prince. ku cannot. we could have snyder go coach ku, getting them to decent 6 wins a season or so is not unreasonable. that would no doubt excite their fanbase to the point that they would fill up the stadium. we then get another coach and keep doing what we do. what i'm saying is that maybe we can prop ku up enough that a conference would consider adding both teams. thoughts? it sounds absurd at first but starts to make sense the more you think about it. does this make sense to anybody else?  :dunno:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »
kstate and ku will never both get into a good conference together considering how crap of a program their fball team is. we have to think outside the box. some of you might think this is really stupid but honestly just hear me out and think about it for a minute...

what if we have snyder go coach their fball program as a precaution for the next five to ten years. we've already proved that we can win with crap coaches. bowl game and top5 wins under prince. ku cannot. we could have snyder go coach ku, getting them to decent 6 wins a season or so is not unreasonable. that would no doubt excite their fanbase to the point that they would fill up the stadium. we then get another coach and keep doing what we do. what i'm saying is that maybe we can prop ku up enough that a conference would consider adding both teams. thoughts? it sounds absurd at first but starts to make sense the more you think about it. does this make sense to anybody else?  :dunno:

It'll be tough to watch, but I think honestly it's the best long term solution. Good thinking, RD. My only question is was this actually your original idea, or did BSAC tell you about it and you posted it as your own idea knowing that he probably wouldn't see this post since he's so busy this week?

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »
Didn't Lew put Wichita State's program out of its misery.  We could call him, I bet he has lots of ideas.  Firing Mangino was a big step down the path of irrelevance.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »
You guys don't understand college football.  KU is on the verge of a major break through.  Keep Turner and in 4, 5 more years they'll be in the Pinstripe Bowl and you guys will all have to apologize.