Author Topic: Currie: "Be nice to OU and aTm fans, even though they're smelly & toothless."  (Read 5264 times)

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Goal number five of the "K-State Pledge" -- click here for a refresher course :) -- is "The Best Fan Experience in the Big 12." Since my arrival I've been so impressed with the positive passion of our fans and the way you've joined the staff in offering a warm "Welcome to K-State" to visiting fans.

After the OU game, for the first time since my arrival in the spring of 2009, I received a number of emails about negative experiences and impressions, PRIMARILY FROM K-STATE FANS. Now, to be clear, I believe our atmosphere and hospitality of our fans to be among the very best in the country. This is not intended to be a lecture. But here is an email I received Monday that I hope you'll take time to read.

?"First of all I would like to say that I have been a K-State fan my whole life.  I am 34 years old and watch K-State athletics events every time I can.  My family attended K-State and all graduated with a degree from the greatest college in the nation.  Because of my work and home schedule, I cannot attend football games like I would really like, but I watch the games on TV every Saturday.  Two weekends ago I had the opportunity to attend the K-State vs. Oklahoma game and let me tell you, I was so excited I barely could sleep the night before.  I went to the game with my father-in-law who is, unfortunately, an OU fan.  He graduated from there and grew up in Norman.  I don't fault him for this, especially since I love his daughter, but it does make for a fun experience when we watch these two schools do battle... I would like to change the mood now.  Our experience at the game was horrible.  My father-in-law wore an OU shirt and a K-State hat (his son, my brother-in-law, attends K-State now) and we sat in the section right next to the OU band.  There were many K-State fans sitting around us and from the moment we sat in our seats, he was chastised for wearing Red.  The abuse he and I received was to the point where we wanted to start fighting.  Instead we left at halftime and did not get to see the rest of the game.  He was cussed at, yelled at, and at one point, a young man threw his drink at him...In my opinion, these kinds of actions should never happen to anyone, home fans or away fans, at a game.  I have always been proud to call myself a Wildcat, but if this is how the experience is going to be, than I don't know if I CAN be proud anymore.... I hope this letter reaches sympathetic ears and future games I attend will be better.  Thank you for your time, and GO WILDCATS!!!!!!"

Again, I don't think that this is reflective of how the vast majority of K-Staters want to be represented. Certainly, we've probably all experienced occasional negative treatment at other schools (the low point for me being on a team bus while its windows were broken by fans at a certain school in my previous conference). But, on my morning jog around Stillwater Saturday I received treatment that I believe is more like the K-State I know and love- warm smiles and kind waves. In my opinion, K-State can and should continue to set the standard for sportsmanship. And you as fans can help us provide a great fan experience by contacting game day workers or utilizing our in-game text service (text “catfan” followed by your message and seat location to 57375) for assistance if you feel that there are unruly fans in your area of the stadium.

Obviously this weekend we have another tough Big 12 game...against a school that is making its final trip to MHK. I trust and expect that K-Staters will show their class and treat our visitors from College Station with respect. Although you'll notice from the number of vacant seats in the upper deck visitor sections that there aren't many Aggies traveling to MHK, remember that many of those who are will be parents and family of TAMU players- none of whom had anything to do with the politics of the decision. Let's let them leave the Big 12 having experienced a first class and respectful (and extremely loud) environment that they will always remember.

And as a reminder that isolated incidents don't define us, click here to read a great column from Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman regarding his experience in Manhattan for the K-State/OU football game. We all know that Manhattan is the epitome of a classic college town and are very proud of all the people and characteristics that make K-State and the Little Apple a special combination. Thanks for doing your part!

And Now Back to Your Regularly Scheduled Programming...

:popcorn:

My takeaway from this is that we're supposed to report fans of the opposing school via the text line so they can be removed, rather than PI'ing them ourselves?   :ck:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:24:59 AM by slimz »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Love these kinds of letters.  Obviously a fake where they have to get one more incident to make us look worse than reality.  I mean tossing a drink?  There is no way I would toss my 4.5 souvenir cup at some OU d bag.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lol
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
I trust and expect that K-Staters will show their class and treat our visitors from College Station with respect

wtf is he talking about  :curse:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
My wife wore her sooner stuff and nothing mean was said to her.  i should probably email currie.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:31:58 AM by OK_Cat »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
dnr, looked interesting though

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My wife wore his sooner stuff and nothing mean was said to her.  i should probably email currie.
:sdeek:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
My wife wore his sooner stuff and nothing mean was said to her.  i should probably email currie.

crap, outed.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Sorry for my behavior and actions at the game. My bro bought a 12 year jameson and I was definitely paking. I am not sorry for patting the guy on the back really hard after he was clapping in my face when they went up 14-0. I might have mentioned something about his hair line too.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:41:08 AM by fanningksu »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :lol:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
I don't like Currie.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
FYJC
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
BTW that OU fan did text line someone at that game and I had to talk to security. They told me to keep my hands to the side the rest of the game and that they had eyes on me!  :jerk:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
An OU fan draped an OU blanket over the railing in the front row of the NEZ and a member of the LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium staff arrived to PI the crap out of him.  Currie's just being a little hypocritical.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
BTW that OU fan did text line someone at that game and I had to talk to security. They told me to keep my hands to the side the rest of the game and that they had eyes on me!  :jerk:

back in box

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
What's to proper protocol if the Aggie male cheerleaders are discovered having sex with each other in the bathroom again? 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
who wears the shirt of one team and the hat of another to a fball game? good grief.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
who wears the shirt of one team and the hat of another to a fball game? good grief.

or a basketball game.  with a weird looking kid.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

crap, outed.

Knew it.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
so wait, did you toss a drink?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile

or a basketball game.  with a weird looking kid.

lol
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Was in the upper deck with a mix of OU and KSU fans, everyone got along just fine.  Maybe this guy's Father in Law was the one starting crap.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
I made lots of snide comments about suicide bombers, maybe that's what he's talking about?  Was this essentially a "plz no bonfire jokes SB" email?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
BTW that OU fan did text line someone at that game and I had to talk to security. They told me to keep my hands to the side the rest of the game and that they had eyes on me!  :jerk:
so wait, did you toss a drink?

No. I patted the guy on the back really hard after he clapped in my face and I returned the clap in the face when we went up 17-14. Boy did I feel dumb later! He text lined me in after the return clap in the face!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:16:15 AM by fanningksu »

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
What does Mrs. OK_Cat think of your Box comments?