Author Topic: Did Billy Donovan make a huge mistake?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Did Billy Donovan make a huge mistake?
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »
It seems to me that ever since Billy did his leave/don't leave at UF, he's been a huge loser.

Bad call on his part?   :users:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Did Billy Donovan make a huge mistake?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 06:38:47 PM »
No.  Steady money at UF.  Huge dice toss on longevity in the nba. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:48:31 PM »
No way.  After you get your first NBA gig, you'll be recycled in the league forever.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:02:45 PM »
yeah. great point OP. i mean the guy only gets to live and florida and coach basketball for the gators. what an obvious mistake.  :flush:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »
No way.  After you get your first NBA gig, you'll be recycled in the league forever.

Is this a bad thing?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

Is this a bad thing?

It's a great thing.  I was just poopooing the idea that he'd be rolling the dice in the NBA with regard to longevity. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
Iirc, it was about a $3M mistake.

Offline ZmoneyKSU

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »
He won two titles at a football school, he doesn't have to worry about anything.  He's comfortable.  It is surprising that he hasn't been a little better since then though.  Keeps taking our recuits.

Crean on the other hand has to be crying himself to sleep at night.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:38:32 AM »
Crean is really an interesting case - if he fails to produce next year, he may fall back to bottom of the coaching barrel ala Billy Clyde.   The talent level at Indiana is horrible, prob the worst at one the big 5 (UK, UCLA, KU, Duke) since Pitino's first years at UK

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 09:45:23 AM »
yeah. great point OP. i mean the guy only gets to live and florida and coach basketball for the gators. what an obvious mistake.  :flush:
he wouldve been coaching in orlando if you would recall correctly, which I believe during the annexation of puerto rico became a part of florida.  :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 10:26:22 PM »
he wouldve been coaching in orlando if you would recall correctly, which I believe during the annexation of puerto rico became a part of florida.  :dunno:

have you ever been to orlando? no real floridians consider orlando as a part of florida. orlando is pretty much it's own state completely surrounded by another state. kind of like Lesotho. orlandotho. it's like i'm trying to talk florida and billy donovan w/ my sister's kids here.  :flush:

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »

have you ever been to orlando? no real floridians consider orlando as a part of florida. orlando is pretty much it's own state completely surrounded by another state. kind of like Lesotho. orlandotho. it's like i'm trying to talk florida and billy donovan w/ my sister's kids here.  :flush:
only reason is because of that beautiful place known as disney world. huh. its a small world after all.