Author Topic: qb intelligence, leadership  (Read 12798 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
qb intelligence, leadership
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:16:54 AM »
is klein the smartest qb that snyder has ever had?  best field general?  coach snyder is always ahead of the curve.  remember when he started the dumb, athletic qb trend?  maybe things are trending the other way now.  whatever works!  lol.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: qb intelligence, leadership
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:18:59 AM »
I would say Klein is the best at faking me out with his zone option fake handoff things or whatever.  You probably have to be pretty smart to be the best at that.  Anyone have this kid in class?  What kind of grades are we looking at here?  Like, borderline A/B student?  That's the feeling I get from him.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:25:20 AM »
He's like a more athletic Grant Gregory.  Gregory was pretty intelligent...it's hard to tell which one was smarter.

I guess after Coffman, you have to look pretty smart though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:31:39 AM by the KHAN! »
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline DoDRepeat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »
TBH I really want to see him in a situation where we actually HAVE to throw the ball for more than one possession. There's been times where we've come out and thrown 5-6 balls in one possession but not consistently. How much of our efficiency in the pass game is dependent on the defense being overly concerned about the run?

I like what he's done so far. Seems to be pretty intelligent. Pretty good at running the zone read and the option. I think he struggles the most in progressions in the pass game, but that's correctable and I think he's getting better (TD to Lockett last week wasn't his first option). His deep balls (nohomo) have been inconsistent.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
don't compare the chamber to grant rough ridin' gregory  :dubious:

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »
don't compare the chamber to grant rough ridin' gregory  :dubious:

You need to respect Grant Gregory for pulling our crap out of a black hole that was Coffman's first eff up. RESPECT HIM!
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 11:36:04 AM »
If he didn't already have such an awesome nickname I would call him Mr. Intangibles.

Offline detch23

• Fan
  • My Dire Wolf's name is Willie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »
Both Klein and Hubert run that zone read hand-off very well.

Case and Point, at the :57 mark where the KU linebacker tackles Hubert while Klein keeps it or the 1:24 mark where Klein could have easily kept it and gotten around the end but gives it anyway and Hubert still scores. Don't know how many times Ive seen this especially in the red zone. Says a lot for the blocking also giving these guys those options.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »
Both Klein and Hubert run that zone read hand-off very well.

Case and Point, at the :57 mark where the KU linebacker tackles Hubert while Klein keeps it or the 1:24 mark where Klein could have easily kept it and gotten around the end but gives it anyway and Hubert still scores. Don't know how many times Ive seen this especially in the red zone. Says a lot for the blocking also giving these guys those options.

I totally get faked out half the time watching the game

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 12:11:26 PM »
He's like a more athletic Grant Gregory.  Gregory was pretty intelligent...it's hard to tell which one was smarter.

I guess after Coffman, you have to look pretty smart though.

No way man, "Coffman was totally a game manager."
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »
I would say Klein is the best at faking me out with his zone option fake handoff things or whatever.  You probably have to be pretty smart to be the best at that.  Anyone have this kid in class?  What kind of grades are we looking at here?  Like, borderline A/B student?  That's the feeling I get from him.

My g/f is in the same major as him (finance or accounting or whatever) and she has him in a bunch of her classes. She says he always looks beat up and tired but gets like all A's and some B's.

Source F+.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »
is klein the smartest qb that snyder has ever had?  best field general?  coach snyder is always ahead of the curve.  remember when he started the dumb, athletic qb trend?  maybe things are trending the other way now.  whatever works!  lol.

great question by the OP. right now it's just impossible to say. snyder built DOD1 on snyder players. ie-dumb and athletic. he's now building DOD2 with Prince players. ie-not dumb. time will tell whether snyder is just making the best of the situation or whether he's actually changed philosophies. will he be able to keep winning once all the prince players are gone is another good question. do we have any good answers to all of these good questions would be another good question. i don't think we do.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »
TBH I really want to see him in a situation where we actually HAVE to throw the ball for more than one possession. There's been times where we've come out and thrown 5-6 balls in one possession but not consistently. How much of our efficiency in the pass game is dependent on the defense being overly concerned about the run?

I like what he's done so far. Seems to be pretty intelligent. Pretty good at running the zone read and the option. I think he struggles the most in progressions in the pass game, but that's correctable and I think he's getting better (TD to Lockett last week wasn't his first option). His deep balls (nohomo) have been inconsistent.

I have believed for the last 3 games now; that throwing the ball is our Ace in the hole.   Everyone still believes we're incapable of throwing the ball.... but I keep going back to the exchange between Harper & a Miami Defender:  "Tell your QB to throw the ball"   CH response: "Stop him from running it"  (and he will)    :wink:

We're unstoppable fellas.  Play your cards close to the chest because eeking out a 3 pt victory doesn't matter when you're 7-0
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 12:42:23 PM »

great question by the OP. right now it's just impossible to say. snyder built DOD1 on snyder players. ie-dumb and athletic. he's now building DOD2 with Prince players. ie-not dumb. time will tell whether snyder is just making the best of the situation or whether he's actually changed philosophies. will he be able to keep winning once all the prince players are gone is another good question. do we have any good answers to all of these good questions would be another good question. i don't think we do.

Isn't it crazy that we are talking about winning with the Prince players... back when Prince recruited them the consensus was  :facepalm:

Oh well, whatever works. FWIW, I dont care if we need to keep selling the run in order to open things up - as long as we can open the lanes and fire off a pass or two at the opportune moment - we should be good.
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
all a's and some b's.  i knew it.  on the other hand, remember how bishop had the lowest wonderlic score of all time?  klein would never fumble at the end of the ccg.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 12:44:42 PM »
all a's and some b's.  i knew it.  on the other hand, remember how bishop had the lowest wonderlic score of all time?  klein would never fumble at the end of the ccg.

yes, very good at holding onto the ball.  smart to do that. 

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »

Isn't it crazy that we are talking about winning with the Prince players... back when Prince recruited them the consensus was  :facepalm:

Oh well, whatever works. FWIW, I dont care if we need to keep selling the run in order to open things up - as long as we can open the lanes and fire off a pass or two at the opportune moment - we should be good.

what prince players were we  :facepalm: about that are actually contributing? Pretty sure everything I'm excited about this year is transfers or younger guys...   CK is really the only prince player that comes to mind
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 12:57:59 PM »

what prince players were we  :facepalm: about that are actually contributing? Pretty sure everything I'm excited about this year is transfers or younger guys...   CK is really the only prince player that comes to mind

The point is the majority of them were the suck and that many of them DIDN'T contribute.
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
Good at yelling and fist-pumping after touchdowns too. Another smart habit.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 01:05:16 PM »
Beasley was pretty smart, rest of DoD QBs - not so much

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »

He was allowed to call many of his own plays during his senior year. 

What about Marc Dunn?  Everyone always forgets about Marc Dunn.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
By all acounts Dylan Meier was pretty smart.  Not smart enough to keep from falling off a cliff, but still pretty smart.

Offline PorkChop Express

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »
By all acounts Dylan Meier was pretty smart.  Not smart enough to keep from falling off a cliff, but still pretty smart.

i've got my eyes on you.
 :dubious:

Offline cvmcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »

He was allowed to call many of his own plays during his senior year. 
There's a reason JB's on the sideline today, and it ain't 'cause he's goodlooking.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »

i've got my eyes on you.
 :dubious:

:runaway: :ohno:  (I didn't mean to sound so callous.  Just that it was better for me to say that then to say "that Dylan Meier was pretty smart" and then jtksu would be all like "HE FELL OF A rough ridin' CLIFF!!!  DER DER DER DER!!"  So really I was just trying to avoid that.)