Author Topic: Kind of nice to have 2 grinder wins...  (Read 3667 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kind of nice to have 2 grinder wins...
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:37:35 AM »
Against good teams; UT and MU.  Both games where we were under 90 in offensive efficiency, but held the opponent to under 80.  Could come in handy during the dance.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: Kind of nice to have 2 grinder wins...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:52:27 AM »
Yep, it wasn't long ago where we would have lost both of those games.  Not anymore.  Great game.  Way to go Frank.   :cheers:
 :doom:

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »
Come up against a Wisconsin is what comes to mind.  All their games are grinders.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »
11 conference wins.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »
Watching the replay. Just amazing that we had less than ten total points until Sutton's free throws at 7:10 in the first half. Unreal. We scored 8 freaking points in the opening 13 minutes and won.  That put us on pace to score 25 for the game.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

catzacker

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »
All powetardness aside, did we look tired or something?  I kind of thought we were.  There were times when we seemed content jogging it up and frank had to chew ass mid jog to get denis to push it. and the exception was going hard after a rebound or loose ball, the rule was lazily getting after it.  maybe it's just what mu makes teams look like, I dunno.  it's almost like when we're at home, we assume we're going to get the rebound, assume we're going to get the call, assume we're going to hit the shot, assume we're going to come back.  I thought the only two games in conference where we played with any real and true aggressiveness was ut and ku.  the rest we kind of sleeped walked through. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:49:06 AM »
I thought we played really hard last night.  If anything in the first half I thought we were extremely tight, and didn't loosen up until the run to tie it at half.  But you can't defend MU like that and be sleepwalking IMO, I thought the game was very similar to the UT game.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
kstate's defense was outstanding last night.  by far the best they've defended in a long time.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
That was easily MU's worst offensive performance.  You don't sleepwalk into performances like that, especially this late in the season.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »
We missed a lot of tip ins/bunnies.  That seems to come from playing tight...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »
MU played pretty good defense too, especially 1st half.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »
MU played pretty good defense too, especially 1st half.

yeah, they were really impressive in the first.

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
All powetardness aside, did we look tired or something?  I kind of thought we were.  There were times when we seemed content jogging it up and frank had to chew ass mid jog to get denis to push it. and the exception was going hard after a rebound or loose ball, the rule was lazily getting after it.  maybe it's just what mu makes teams look like, I dunno.  it's almost like when we're at home, we assume we're going to get the rebound, assume we're going to get the call, assume we're going to hit the shot, assume we're going to come back.  I thought the only two games in conference where we played with any real and true aggressiveness was ut and ku.  the rest we kind of sleeped walked through. 

I sat behind the MU bench as a guest. And to me the team just looked really frustrated on O. I do think it had a lot to do with the D MU was playing.  It was aggressive (much like KSU's) and was quick to beat our players (especially the guards) to favorite spots for looks. That led to Lou holding the ball on several straight possesions, which resulted in a possible TO, missed shot, or short clock to work with. Credit MU for a pretty solid defensive effort.

Being inefficient in those possessions only magnified the issue of rebounding. They sent 4 to the defensive board and were perfect on box outs for most of the game. From my perspective this led to some anxiety on part of the team to make a play. And eventually they did.

I thought the D by KSU was outstanding for the most part.  The didn't seem flustered at all on D after so many empty possesions on the other end.  Credit Frank and company for keeping their heads in that situation.

catzacker

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »
I thought we played really hard last night.  If anything in the first half I thought we were extremely tight, and didn't loosen up until the run to tie it at half.  But you can't defend MU like that and be sleepwalking IMO, I thought the game was very similar to the UT game.

prolly just semantics, but our "defense" was good, but our aggressiveness for rebounds and loose balls wasn't or maybe that's just the way the ball bounced?  And offensively, we looked tired, unfocused, and/or were not playing through contact very well.  we missed countless bunnies, let balls go right off our hands, couldn't punish MU in transition off their turnovers (especially in the first half).  these are all just nitpicky type things.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:19:31 AM »

prolly just semantics, but our "defense" was good, but our aggressiveness for rebounds and loose balls wasn't or maybe that's just the way the ball bounced?  And offensively, we looked tired, unfocused, and/or were not playing through contact very well.  we missed countless bunnies, let balls go right off our hands, couldn't punish MU in transition off their turnovers (especially in the first half).  these are all just nitpicky type things.

i'm pretty sure Energy would disagree with this.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »
I'll agree with 'zacker that in the parts that I saw, I didn't really see Denis pushing the ball up as fast as he normally does.  Maybe his early foul trouble affected his aggresiveness?

catzacker

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 10:23:12 AM »

exception, not the rule. also, should have been a travel or a foul on c-merr, terrible call by the official.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 10:36:10 AM »
I think we definitely thought we were going to get some calls on offense and had to adjust.  That was the most physical game of the year and I just think we were frustrated by the misses and the contact.  Mizzou's trap slows you down bringing the ball up and I think Denis just wasn't  thinking about the opportunity being there.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »

exception, not the rule. also, should have been a travel or a foul on c-merr, terrible call by the official.\

definitely was a joke.

catzacker

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »

exception, not the rule. also, should have been a travel or a foul on c-merr, terrible call by the official.\

definitely was a joke.

i don't joke around about c-merr.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »
If mizzou doesn't rebound out of their minds we win by 20 IMO.

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 03:31:26 PM »

the last 5-7 min or so both teams looked pretty tired.  slowed it down a lot too last 8 min or so.