Author Topic: Question about our mascot, Willie the Wildcat  (Read 15735 times)

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Question about our mascot, Willie the Wildcat
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:14:41 PM »
I'm a student at Kansas State and I wasn't a fan until recently so this seems like a good place to ask.  During the Baylor game I overheard a black student saying he wanted to be Willie before he graduated.  That got me thinking.  Has there ever been a black Willie?  Seems like they would at least let him tryout so as not to appear  :opcat:, but if there's never been one before that kid's odds don't seem too good.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: Question about our mascot, Willie the Wildcat
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »
There was a black Willie on (I believe) the 2004 poster.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
I heard within the last few years the SGA voted to remove some obscure bylaw in some crap or another that somehow made it not possible to have a black willie. Also, I have never heard a black person fantasize about becoming a mascot.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
man. that's a good question shacks. i don't think there has ever been a black willie. i do remember one fball game a while back where regular willie was there for the first half and then some fat left handed willie came out after halftime. so there has been a fat left handed willie for at least one half of a fball game. was the black guy also fat and left handed, because if so i'd say he's got a shot at it at least.  :dunno:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:58 PM »
Also, welcome to fandom. It's a beautiful thing full of beautiful things. You will soon wonder how you were ever not a fan.

:eye:

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »
I heard within the last few years the SGA voted to remove some obscure bylaw in some crap or another that somehow made it not possible to have a black willie. Also, I have never heard a black person fantasize about becoming a mascot.

Maybe he wants to be K-State's version of Obama  :dunno:

man. that's a good question shacks. i don't think there has ever been a black willie. i do remember one fball game a while back where regular willie was there for the first half and then some fat left handed willie came out after halftime. so there has been a fat left handed willie for at least one half of a fball game. was the black guy also fat and left handed, because if so i'd say he's got a shot at it at least.  :dunno:

He wasn't fat, don't know if he was lefthanded

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:22:45 PM »
weird thread.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »
weird thread.

screw you rams. take it to the phog if you want to get racist. this place doesn't put up w/ that crap.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »
Also, welcome to fandom. It's a beautiful thing full of beautiful things. You will soon wonder how you were ever not a fan.

:eye:

Thanks.  I'm not new to college football, I've been a huge fan of the sport for as long as I can remember.  LHC Bill Snyder was one of my favorites before I even moved to Kansas.  But I've been die hard EMAW since 2008  :kstatriot:

weird thread.

Weird forum

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:26:49 PM »
I kind of like this thread.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:43:02 PM »
I've seen darker complected Willie the Wildcats - but nothing farther than Hispanic/Asian/Indian.   Could have just been a well tanned Italian.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »
Did he throw a shirt is that how you knew he was left handed daris?
man what an odd thing to remember. Go Cats

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
Bet it was the lumberjack

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
I'm a student at Kansas State and I wasn't a fan until recently so this seems like a good place to ask.  During the Baylor game I overheard a black student saying he wanted to be Willie before he graduated.  That got me thinking.  Has there ever been a black Willie?  Seems like they would at least let him tryout so as not to appear  :opcat:, but if there's never been one before that kid's odds don't seem too good.
Tell the students to stay for the whole damn game. This tends to piss me off when i see half of it empty. :facepalm:
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »
Tell the students to stay for the whole damn game. This tends to piss me off when i see half of it empty. :facepalm:

I think a lot of it is students leaving to drink at halftime and then not finding their way back to the stadium, or taking way too long to get back in.  I would never do that, but that's my educated guess.  If they would let us bring in booze this problem would be greatly alleviated.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:18:56 PM »

I think a lot of it is students leaving to drink at halftime and then not finding their way back to the stadium, or taking way too long to get back in.  I would never do that, but that's my educated guess.  If they would let us bring in booze this problem would be greatly alleviated.

WVU starting selling booze at games this year and made like $400k in the first 2 games...

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »

Me neither.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 10:22:50 PM »

WVU starting selling booze at games this year and made like $400k in the first 2 games...

KSU will never do that, this state has some very backwards and asinine blue laws.  Riley County is better than most of Kansas when it comes to stupid alcohol laws, but the entire state is backwards about it.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 10:26:45 PM »

he's a cat you dipshit, having him prowl the sidelines would be bad luck for everyone
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 10:27:06 PM »
Think how much k-state would make if they started selling drugs at the games.

Offline oneeyedwillie

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40:19 PM »

I remember that game. We scored upwards of 65 points, and the regular Willie simply could not do that many push-ups after each score. They put in the second string Willie who had much bigger butt.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 10:45:58 PM »
Did he throw a shirt is that how you knew he was left handed daris?
man what an odd thing to remember. Go Cats

50 pounds heavier and fist pumped/lead cheers with his left arm non stop style. it was surreal. like original willie got sick or him mom died or something v bad happened and emergency willie had to be called into action.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »
ya and then somehow we could smuggle some unscented stuff into the away teams locker room to make them play like piss!  :excited:
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 10:55:50 PM »

Would love to get some mushrooms at halftime

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 11:01:14 PM »
Remember when Notre Dame had a black leprechauan?  That was weird.  Black willie wouldn't be as weird because Willie represents an animal and not a race.