Author Topic: Question about our mascot, Willie the Wildcat  (Read 15733 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Question about our mascot, Willie the Wildcat
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2019, 08:54:16 AM »
That's badass.  Why isn't modern day Willie riding horses 24/7?  What the eff are those out-of-work KSU equestrian horses doing now? (don't you rough ridin' make a glue joke, god damn it).

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2019, 09:17:23 AM »
BYOH unfortunately
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
That's a very small horse

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2019, 11:48:04 AM »
EPAW?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2019, 12:26:15 PM »
That's a very small horse
Maybe that Willie is just enormous?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »
CNS Willie

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2019, 02:19:12 PM »
I have some insight on this. I was a Willie in 2008 and 2009. It was interesting. I was a freshman/sophomore those years. My freshman year there was only 1 returning Willie and I was one of 6 new guys, so there were 7 Willies that year. Sounds like a ton but we did every sporting event: football, M/W bbal, vball, baseball, plus weddings, birthday parties, athletic booster events, open house, enrollment/orientation, etc. So we were all fairly busy.

My first year was a blast. Our "boss" was the marketing branch of the athletic department, and with that we were able to be pretty creative with skits and such. My favorite skit was the first year when Willie beat Micheal Phelps olympic record for golds by winning like 20 different events, it was the home opener vs North Texas, and I was actually the guy tackled at midfield after stealing Willie's medals (the guy the used to get tackled was always another Willie). I think I got a mild concussion from it but it was worth it (glad I don't have a seizure disorder :horrorsurprise:)

The second year we were transferred over to the cheer team and it was not nearly as fun. We had less access to the pregame schedule, skits where cut down, we had to go to cheer practices sometimes, it was a drag. I got cut after 2 years bc I discovered beer/got too fat/dipped out on a lot of stuff the 2nd year to focus on grades and partying. Was a little butt hurt at first but in retrospect I think it was good for me.

On the point of a black Willie, the answer I got a lot when I asked (I don't think any tried out my 2 years) was that there is only 1 Willie, so all the Willie's needed to look similar. I always thought that was dumb/racist, esp since there was a 5'8" guy and a 6'3" guy in the group when I was doing it. But they take that pretty seriously, Willie could never be at two events at the same time.

Anyway if you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »
I have some insight on this. I was a Willie in 2008 and 2009. It was interesting. I was a freshman/sophomore those years. My freshman year there was only 1 returning Willie and I was one of 6 new guys, so there were 7 Willies that year. Sounds like a ton but we did every sporting event: football, M/W bbal, vball, baseball, plus weddings, birthday parties, athletic booster events, open house, enrollment/orientation, etc. So we were all fairly busy.

My first year was a blast. Our "boss" was the marketing branch of the athletic department, and with that we were able to be pretty creative with skits and such. My favorite skit was the first year when Willie beat Micheal Phelps olympic record for golds by winning like 20 different events, it was the home opener vs North Texas, and I was actually the guy tackled at midfield after stealing Willie's medals (the guy the used to get tackled was always another Willie). I think I got a mild concussion from it but it was worth it (glad I don't have a seizure disorder :horrorsurprise:)

The second year we were transferred over to the cheer team and it was not nearly as fun. We had less access to the pregame schedule, skits where cut down, we had to go to cheer practices sometimes, it was a drag. I got cut after 2 years bc I discovered beer/got too fat/dipped out on a lot of stuff the 2nd year to focus on grades and partying. Was a little butt hurt at first but in retrospect I think it was good for me.

On the point of a black Willie, the answer I got a lot when I asked (I don't think any tried out my 2 years) was that there is only 1 Willie, so all the Willie's needed to look similar. I always thought that was dumb/racist, esp since there was a 5'8" guy and a 6'3" guy in the group when I was doing it. But they take that pretty seriously, Willie could never be at two events at the same time.

Did it ever freak you out that you were sucking in germs from the other 6 dudes that put on the Willie head?  I mean I'm sure you could spray it with Lysol or something but that would probably only kill about a tenth of the filth that had to be in there? :Yuck:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2019, 02:31:13 PM »

Did it ever freak you out that you were sucking in germs from the other 6 dudes that put on the Willie head?  I mean I'm sure you could spray it with Lysol or something but that would probably only kill about a tenth of the filth that had to be in there? :Yuck:

Ya that thing was nasty. It was a hockey helmet with 10lb of foam and felt. Made your neck hurt like crazy after wearing it for hours on end. There was a built in fan that didn't work and just made it heavier. 

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »

Ya that thing was nasty. It was a hockey helmet with 10lb of foam and felt. Made your neck hurt like crazy after wearing it for hours on end. There was a built in fan that didn't work and just made it heavier.

LOL. And we're so proud of our Engineering department. Think that would have been a pretty easy one to figure out

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
Have you ever kicked a kid in the face while doing the k-s-u signs?

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2019, 02:43:31 PM »
Thanks!  Also;

1) Was there like a cool Willie initiation were you had to do crazy crap and got hazed by the 'older' Willie's?
2) Please tell me there's a cool Willie handshake that only you guys know.
3) Did you ever pick up a chick (or dude) at one of the events you did?  And if so where you able to bang her/him with the Willie head on?

4) Was the loser of the group the one designated to do Women's VB or the stupid parties?
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2019, 02:47:04 PM »

...and extremely hungover?
@mikec2w

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »
Thanks!  Also;

1) Was there like a cool Willie initiation were you had to do crazy crap and got hazed by the 'older' Willie's?
3) Did you ever pick up a chick (or dude) at one of the events you did?  And if so where you able to bang her/him with the Willie head on?

4) Was the loser of the group the one designated to do Women's VB or the stupid parties?
I have credible info that this has happened.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2019, 04:08:42 PM »
the craziest willie thing I've ever seen in my life was during a football game somewhere around i'll guess 1998. the game started with willie who appeared to very normal willie. he did super normal willie stuff at the time and looked super normal doing all of it. then halftime came and the next thing you knew willie was a few inches shorter, seventy pounds heavier and left handed. truly bizarre. did first half willie get sick? arrested at halftime? lost a bet to a roommate and had to let him be willie for half a game? no idea but for one half of a football game, fat left handed willie was quite the site to behold. truly mezmerising.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »
How much of the banter when opposing teams mascots is improvised? Like I would imagine you guys would probably shoot a couple emails back and forth about some hilarious gags you were planning or do you guys just go out there and wing it?

Offline fatdamon

• Combo-Fan
  • back farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »
You know what I miss?  I miss back in the day when willie and the willie event staff would grab the opposing team’s mascot and ram his nards into the goalpost
YAY FOOTBALL

Offline cat.branchman

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2019, 06:24:19 PM »
the craziest willie thing I've ever seen in my life was during a football game somewhere around i'll guess 1998. the game started with willie who appeared to very normal willie. he did super normal willie stuff at the time and looked super normal doing all of it. then halftime came and the next thing you knew willie was a few inches shorter, seventy pounds heavier and left handed. truly bizarre. did first half willie get sick? arrested at halftime? lost a bet to a roommate and had to let him be willie for half a game? no idea but for one half of a football game, fat left handed willie was quite the site to behold. truly mezmerising.

The first willie in that game was a friend of mine.
We scored around 70 points that game, and the number of pushups broke him. Had put in the 2nd string willie for the rest of the game.

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2019, 07:40:57 PM »
Thanks!  Also;

1) no
2) no
3) I got hit on by drunk tailgaiting coeds quite a bit, my butt pinched a bunch. One pretty smoking gal whispered in my ear to meet her at so and so.  I was too much of a chicken crap to follow through on any of that.
4) kinda. But sometimes the side gigs where the most fun. Games could get pretty tedious (especially those football years, back to back no bowl). I did get tipped a couple times once at a wedding and once at a varney's photo shoot where they let me keep some merch.

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »

LOL I think I know who did that

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2019, 07:48:08 PM »
How much of the banter when opposing teams mascots is improvised? Like I would imagine you guys would probably shoot a couple emails back and forth about some hilarious gags you were planning or do you guys just go out there and wing it?

completely winged it when I did it, didn't even talk to the guy. I took that code of silence crazy strict. Only time things ever backfired was 2008 @ Colorado, before the game I went through the K-State section to pump up the crowd, and there was a CU fan sitting right in the middle. Middle aged dude. I suavely lifted his ballcap, then sat right in front of him with his cap draped over my ear. He immediately shoved the crap out of me and started yelling crap. The K-State fans were all like "HEY THAT'S WILLIE CALM DOWN" and I quickly gave back his hat and non-verbally apologized. Should've figured CU fans are the worst.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2019, 11:02:58 PM »
What a dick